PDA

View Full Version : The Blob

Confused
09-05-2009, 04:26 AM
I've just ordered the 80s re-make of The Blob as i haven't seen it since i was about 7 or 8. My interest in it is basically because a certain Rob Zombie is re-making it, and no doubt ruining it.

Anyone here seen the 80s re-make? All i can really remember, besides the mountains of gore, is the closing scene with the Reverend Meeker character.

Oh, and checking IMDB i see that a certain Frank Darabont co-wrote it with the director Chuck Russell.

Kalyx triaD
09-05-2009, 04:51 AM
What's to ruin!? lol

Kalyx triaD
09-05-2009, 04:52 AM
And yeah, I remember the 80's one. Kinda cute. The kid biting it in the sewer scarred my brain for some time. And the motorcycle stunt was pretty ridiculous.

Jeritron
09-05-2009, 03:26 PM
The 80s one was written by Frank Darabont and actually quite good as a result.

I used to watch the original on Monstervision with my dad all the time. It's a classic.

Jeritron
09-05-2009, 03:27 PM
I guess the first thing Zombie has revealed about his "vision" is that he is going to replace The Blob creature in The Blob. There will no longer be a blob of any kind in THE Blob

Makes a ton of sense. Seems just about right for that guy

thedamndest
09-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Replace it with what? Steve Buscemi?

Jeritron
09-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Probably his wife

Kalyx triaD
09-05-2009, 03:41 PM
There won't be a blob in The Blob?

Jeritron
09-05-2009, 03:50 PM
According to Rob Zombie, no.

Kalyx triaD
09-05-2009, 03:53 PM
Good luck with that.

Jeritron
09-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Why participate in remakes if you're going to illogically change things? It's as if he's too pretentious to respect the source material, but not creative enough to go out and do something else that's fully his own.
I guess he can just take something successful, change key elements nonsensically, and sprinkle rapes, his wife, and 70s rocker references all over.

Why not just build something from scratch? I actually enjoyed Devil's Rejects

Kalyx triaD
09-05-2009, 04:03 PM
I'm gonna remake The Thing, place it in the jungle, and change the shape-shifting alien into a giant bug. Kurt Russle will still star.

YOUR Hero
09-05-2009, 09:55 PM
The Blob (original) was pretty good. It was ahead of the curve for it's time.

DaveBrawl
09-11-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm gonna remake The Thing, place it in the jungle, and change the shape-shifting alien into a giant bug. Kurt Russle will still star.

I think I would actually enjoy that.

The Jayman
09-11-2009, 04:21 PM
There won't be a blob in The Blob?

It will simply be called "The"

Kris P Lettus
09-17-2009, 12:53 PM
I like Rob Zombie..

Droford
09-17-2009, 11:52 PM
He should remake Jaws without a shark next. Just a giant pair of teeth running around biting people in half.

Kalyx triaD
09-18-2009, 12:15 AM
Actually, it's time Jaws get a redo. I'm for it.

Droford
09-18-2009, 12:28 AM
<object height="344" width="425">Just when you thought it was safe to fly the friendly skies..

JAWS..IN SPA..er..AIRSPACE!

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/skYRZ_-RXtk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

Kalyx triaD
09-18-2009, 12:32 AM
He was getting married in two days...

Blitz
09-18-2009, 01:40 AM
He never said he was taking out the Blob itself, he just said:

My intention is not to have a big red blobby thing -- that's the first thing I want to change. That gigantic Jello-looking thing might have been scary to audiences in the 1950s, but people would laugh now.

So basically a re-design. Which is to be expected of a remake.

Kalyx triaD
09-18-2009, 02:17 AM
Jeritron, check your sources.

Jeritron
09-19-2009, 08:27 PM
Actually, it's time Jaws get a redo. I'm for it.

I hope you're joking

Kalyx triaD
09-19-2009, 08:48 PM
No.

G
09-19-2009, 10:10 PM
Why automatically assume he's ruining it? Halloween was a pretty good remake.

Jeritron
09-20-2009, 03:01 AM
I assume that because I highly disagree with the second part of your post

Jeritron
09-20-2009, 03:02 AM
No.

I can't think of one reason on earth to remake a movie as effective and timeless as Jaws. It's one of the alltime greats

Kalyx triaD
09-20-2009, 03:25 AM
It is, and always will be. A remake will not hurt it's placement in cinematic history. You insult it by assuming such.

Jeritron
09-20-2009, 11:29 AM
But what's the point? I never assumed it would hurt it. I said I can't think of one reason to do it.

Nothing will come out of the situation other than making a subpar movie. A remake like King Kong (2005) flourishes because it took advantage of modern filmmaking, acting, and special effects. It brought worthy reasons to the table for a re-telling, and did so very well and added to the myth.
That's because the original, although classic, had grown a bit dated. It still was and would be an alltime classic regardless.
King Kong (1976), didn't succeed because it was too soon.

Jaws, however, still holds up. The filmmaking, music, and effects all get the job done. It has "the jaws effect", which has been copied a hundred times over. A new movie won't be able to effectively use that, because everyone knows the shark is coming and when it's coming.

Then there's casting. Who is going to play Quint? Chief Brody? etc. Those characters are timeless. I can't see them as easily recast as most.

The animatronic shark, out of context, isn't exactly like a real shark, but it works amazingly. The last thing I want to see is a big, over-animated, CGI shark jumping onto The Orca.

Movies will always get remade, and I agree that it will almost never take away from the original. But this is one that is just senseless. When you remake Friday the 13th, or Texas Chainsaw Massacre, you are able to accomplish more or less the same thing with a new batch of teenagers.
When you remake Jaws, it is a pointless situation because you can only lose. It will not live up, and will almost undoubtedly be met with more backlash than support.

Kalyx triaD
09-20-2009, 12:21 PM
At least remake Jaws 4. Remove the 'roaring' bits.

Blitz
09-20-2009, 09:07 PM
I usually don't really care what gets remade, but I cannot see a single reason to remake Jaws other than money.

thedamndest
09-20-2009, 11:31 PM
Isn't that why you remake anything?

Blitz
09-20-2009, 11:39 PM
From a Hollywood perspective, yes. But I judge whether I want to see something remade based on other factors. Coming at the material from a slightly different angle, using new film techniques, etc.. Don't think Jaws would benefit from any of that.

thedamndest
09-20-2009, 11:56 PM
Well Hollywood doesn't care what you think.

Jeritron
09-21-2009, 12:11 AM
But would people honestly be interested in a Jaws remake? At this stage in the game, I don't think they would. I don't see it being very successful.

I think most people would think it's a bad idea, or just not have any interest. Jaws seems like a one-time phenomenon. It worked because it was extremely well done. The suspense, the music, the shark. It was all new and exciting. Once that's been done, which it has, another visit to it seems pointless and tired. The sequels showed this.
The movie was the first to exploit the primal fears of shark attacks, and it did it in a major way.
I don't see it working again because the impact of the original hasn't even worn off 35 years later. Swimming and the human view of sharks are forever changed by this movie. I don't think anyone has ever been in a body of water with friends where someone doesn't do their impression of the opening scene, or hum the music.

Maybe in 30 or 40 more years the movie will get revisited, but as of now it still seems utterly pointless and too soon

thedamndest
09-21-2009, 12:52 PM
What is the biggest non-foreign film to be remade?

Jeritron
09-22-2009, 01:14 AM
Biggest as in gross? Not sure, but nothing really big

Jeritron
09-22-2009, 01:15 AM
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

That's the alltime list, adjusted for inflation, so it gives an idea of what movies have been big over time.

Closest to remade I can find on the list is #74. Poseidon Adventure

Other than that, not much of anything. I think it's more common to remake middle of the road successes, that are proven properties, but not huge hits or classics.
It allows them to cash in on success again, without risking any major negativity.

The alltime gross list without inflation adjustment is mostly movies from the past 20 years, so it doesn't include many that have been remade.