PDA

View Full Version : This is going too far

kareru
09-08-2009, 02:48 PM
– The very audible “Cody” chant that took place at the conclusion of last week’s episode of RAW was dubbed out in favor of “Cena” chants on A.M. Raw over the weekend.

thanks for forcing cena down every ones necks vince, you cockwad

Nark Order
09-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Where have you been? They've been dubbing out heel chants for years.

kareru
09-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Where have you been? They've been dubbing out heel chants for years.

i know, but dubbing in cena chants is going too far

Theo Dious
09-08-2009, 03:06 PM
i know, but dubbing in cena chants is going too far

Yeah, damn them for producing the show they're actually trying to make.

Londoner
09-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Why don't they actually try and please the crowd rather than themselves?

Theo Dious
09-08-2009, 03:12 PM
Which is easier, pleasing a crowd that continually proves it can't be pleased, or some simple audio manipulation?

Also, who the fuck even watches AM Raw except as an excuse to have some noise in the room while they're folding their laundry?

kareru
09-08-2009, 03:16 PM
thats the art of wrestling booking and character development.

get people to like the babyfaces and hate the heels

just look at the rock, people hated him but then people started to like him so they turn him into a face

Londoner
Which is easier, pleasing a crowd that continually proves it can't be pleased, or some simple audio manipulation?

A crowd can be pleased if they do stuff the right way. By doing this they're admitting their writing is shit.

Wolfpack423
The main edition of RAW had the Cody chants and there were no Cena chants piped in then. More people watch the live broadcast and they can still put in piped cheers on a live show and they didn't. They let Cody have his moment.

#1-norm-fan
09-08-2009, 04:25 PM

I hate this argument the more I hear it.

"Wrestling fans can't be pleased."

No, they can. That argument seems to me like an excuse to be lazy.

People have been raving about Smackdown for a long time now. But I guess we'll ignore that, right?

#1-norm-fan
09-08-2009, 04:26 PM
A crowd can be pleased if they do stuff the right way. By doing this they're admitting their writing is shit.

Pretty much.

Londoner
09-08-2009, 04:28 PM
I hate this argument the more I hear it.

"Wrestling fans can't be pleased."

No, they can. That argument seems to me like an excuse to be lazy.

People have been raving about Smackdown for a long time now. But I guess we'll ignore that, right?

Exactly, and ecw to, and that isn't even one of the big shows.

Italian $tallion
09-08-2009, 04:48 PM
I agree it is pretty retarded to dub in "Cena" chants, if thats what they did. Removing "Cody" chants is one thing, but replacing them with the other superstars name is shit.

thedamndest
09-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Were they saying "Cody" or "No-dy"?

Nark Order
09-08-2009, 04:55 PM
A short lived program back in the 90s called "WWF Blastoff" that was on in the mornings on weekends is what got me really hardcore into wrestling as a kid. Who watches television in the morning on weekends mostly? Probably children. When those select kids tune in RAW AM, WWE wants them to see Cena as a larger than life super hero that everyone loves and adores. More kid fans means more merchandise sales sales from mommy and daddy. I'd say they probably know what they're doing whether we like it or not.

Londoner
09-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Kids are fucking stupid these days. We never needed all this 'changing chants' bullshit to get into it.

Nark Order
09-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Yeah, but to be fair we had good guys that were actually cheered on a regular basis.

Londoner
09-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Thanks to good booking, to.

Emperor Smeat
09-08-2009, 05:17 PM
WCW ran into the same problem with Goldberg in the middle of his career where crowd stopped chanting Goldberg so they pipped in Goldberg chants during his entrance. Looked very bad on tv when crowd isn't saying anything but the audio is making it appear crowd is going wild.

Verbose Minch
09-08-2009, 05:19 PM
http://i26.tinypic.com/5agd8p.jpg

I'M MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE!

kareru
09-08-2009, 05:24 PM
you know you're a shit wrestler when you can't get a bunch of marks to cheer for you

Nark Order
09-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Well Cena and Goldberg are very similar in the fact that the writers made absolutely no attempt to freshen up their character for years. I think even a half-assed attempt to make Cena do ANYTHING even SLIGHTLY different would help as far as his fan reactions go.

Kami Raki
09-08-2009, 05:30 PM
Well it's their right to try and get more support for Cena. But his shit sells no matter what so it really doesn't matter.

Londoner
09-08-2009, 05:30 PM
Cena can be good, i just think he's being given a free/easy ride so he doesn't give a shit.

Indifferent Clox
09-08-2009, 06:56 PM
I don't think it 's him that doesn't give a shit, it's all the people who book him.

Londoner
09-08-2009, 06:58 PM
The impression i get from him though is he really doesn't care. He doesn't care to sell moves, is one example.

Funky Fly
09-08-2009, 07:53 PM
This all goes back to 2003. Cena gets a shit gimmick (a white rapper wrestler? Really?) and somehow makes it work. He's so good at it that they're forced to turn him face. For a while, he's still the same cocky bastard but he fights heels and it's amazing. Then someone gets the idea that he's the next Hulk Hogan, so they figure it's time to water him down a little bit, give him a catchphrase (choke on these nuts? Really?) and eventually turn him into a vanilla superman the kids can get behind. Now it's all going tits up. The core audience HATES it and boos to such an extent that they actually have to acknowledge his unpopularity on tv.

So you figure at this point, they may as well drop the kiddy shit in favour of the bad ass from 2003, right? Nope, they just change their target audience to kids and keep on shoving him down our throats.

It's a classic case of giving the consumer what you want and not what they want. Seriously, if kids didn't buy stupid shit, the WWE would be dead by now.

Kami Raki
09-08-2009, 08:53 PM
It's a classic case of giving the consumer what you want and not what they want. Seriously, if kids didn't buy stupid shit, the WWE would be dead by now.
If the kids didn't buy into the stuff, they'd just go back to the Adult demographic. Problem solved.

DAMN iNATOR
09-09-2009, 01:25 AM
If Cena goes over this Sunday, and wins the title (God, I hope not, but if he does...), he needs to go back to writing his own freestyle raps, and wearing retro jerseys, or jerseys from rivals of teams in the cities he's in, as well as, obviously, he needs to go heel again.

Kane Knight
09-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Why don't they actually try and please the crowd rather than themselves?

Because that would be a wise business decision, and Vince hates those.

Kane Knight
09-10-2009, 12:36 AM
Cena can be good, i just think he's being given a free/easy ride so he doesn't give a shit.

I really don't think it's free or easy. He's the guy in WWE's opinion, so they protect their investment. He's been labeled a workhorse, and it's true. His status comes in part from his willingness to bust his hump for the company. Not that I like the end result, but the guy seems to really like the business, and really work for the company.

Traiklin1982
09-10-2009, 01:21 AM
I agree Cena is a hard worker and he does seem to love the fans as well as the company.
But I also really can't stand him. He has a very crappy move set that makes Kahli look like Evan Bourne. I get so sick of how the wwe makes him almost impossibal to win against. He gets title match after title match handed to him when he is one of the least talented people on any of the rosters.The only way to get a descent match out of him is to put him against Jericho/HBK/Edge.

RGWhat316
09-10-2009, 02:00 AM
This all goes back to 2003. Cena gets a shit gimmick (a white rapper wrestler? Really?) and somehow makes it work. He's so good at it that they're forced to turn him face. For a while, he's still the same cocky bastard but he fights heels and it's amazing. Then someone gets the idea that he's the next Hulk Hogan, so they figure it's time to water him down a little bit, give him a catchphrase (choke on these nuts? Really?) and eventually turn him into a vanilla superman the kids can get behind. Now it's all going tits up. The core audience HATES it and boos to such an extent that they actually have to acknowledge his unpopularity on tv.

So you figure at this point, they may as well drop the kiddy shit in favour of the bad ass from 2003, right? Nope, they just change their target audience to kids and keep on shoving him down our throats.

Which is why I posted the report from last week that Cena was in favor of WWE going more PG. Cus he is the one that benefits the most from it!

Fignuts
09-10-2009, 03:08 AM
Your face is going too far.

Londoner
09-10-2009, 03:12 AM
I really don't think it's free or easy. He's the guy in WWE's opinion, so they protect their investment. He's been labeled a workhorse, and it's true. His status comes in part from his willingness to bust his hump for the company. Not that I like the end result, but the guy seems to really like the business, and really work for the company.

Well you would really like the business to if you were one of the protected guys.

FourFifty
09-10-2009, 05:25 AM
If Cena goes over this Sunday, and wins the title (God, I hope not, but if he does...), he needs to go back to writing his own freestyle raps, and wearing retro jerseys, or jerseys from rivals of teams in the cities he's in, as well as, obviously, he needs to go heel again.

And miss out on all the merch sales? Yea right.
Cena pushes merch, and when he feuds with a "heel" there will be a faction of people getting behind said heel. This is why Randy Orton and Legacy can push merch, this is one (of the many, many) reasons Edge became popular.... John Cena can work an angle with Hitler at WrestleMania and you'll see swastika tee shirts sell faster than hot cakes as we have a dueling chant of "Let's go Cena" and "let's go Hitler"!
Cena appeals to a younger demographic, and to be honest I have fun talking to younger fans who like Cena. They remind me of me when Hulk Hogan could do no wrong. Let them have their superman, and hopefully by the time they wise up WWE will have the right talent (both on and off camera) to know what to do.

Haze
09-11-2009, 12:22 PM
The main edition of RAW had the Cody chants and there were no Cena chants piped in then. More people watch the live broadcast and they can still put in piped cheers on a live show and they didn't. They let Cody have his moment.

I'm sure they weren't expecting the Cody Chant and just couldn't get the Cena Chant track qued up yet.

Ol Dirty Dastard
09-11-2009, 12:38 PM
A short lived program back in the 90s called "WWF Blastoff" that was on in the mornings on weekends is what got me really hardcore into wrestling as a kid. Who watches television in the morning on weekends mostly? Probably children. When those select kids tune in RAW AM, WWE wants them to see Cena as a larger than life super hero that everyone loves and adores. More kid fans means more merchandise sales sales from mommy and daddy. I'd say they probably know what they're doing whether we like it or not.

As much as you make me physically ill, this is actually a good point ;)

Anybody Thrilla
09-11-2009, 02:13 PM
If the kids didn't buy into the stuff, they'd just go back to the Adult demographic. Problem solved.

Not so simple. They're a publically traded company now with legit sponsors who wouldn't let them get away with half of what they did during the Attitude Era. The children are the future, as they say.