PDA

View Full Version : IYO: The Greatest superstar of the new generation

GD
09-15-2009, 07:19 AM
Poll coming up! :y:

4 knuckles up
09-15-2009, 07:44 AM
Edge. But he's always been a favourite of mine. Punk is also excellent.

CSL
09-15-2009, 07:51 AM
Orton should have the longest, most successful career. Edge pips him in terms of best all rounder of the lot though.

CSL
09-15-2009, 07:51 AM
I also think you've imagined some extra title reigns for Punk

GD
09-15-2009, 07:55 AM

3 time WWE World Heavyweight Champion
1 time ECW Champion
1 time ROH World Champion

CSL
09-15-2009, 07:58 AM
lol

GD
09-15-2009, 08:00 AM
Wait a minute! :wtf: Is the ROH world title a Heavyweight title?

The Jayman
09-15-2009, 08:20 AM
I voted someone else. and that someone is....Jericho

Mr. Nerfect
09-15-2009, 08:21 AM
I was really about to vote for Edge, but then I realise that I have been consistently marking out for CM Punk. His rise was pretty quick, too, and if you consider the ECW Championship as a World Title, then he averages out as having won 1.33 World Titles a year, or something like that.

Punk's matches have also been consistently fantastic, and the man can cut a fantastic promo, which is only something he's been allowed to do on SmackDown!. As a face, he has been very fucking over, and as a heel, he has also been very fucking over. There's just something refreshing and different about him.

However, when Edge returns, it will hopefully be as a face, which will be a tremendous breath of fresh air for him, as he has not been a face for like five years now. It really just depends on what mood I am in as to which I would consider the greatest.

GD
09-15-2009, 08:23 AM
Coincidence! I meant Jericho too! :love:

CSL
09-15-2009, 08:24 AM
Wait a minute! :wtf: Is the ROH world title a Heavyweight title?

It is

http://web11.can72.de/reports/fatal-friday2/15-samoa-joe.jpg

It is also about as much of a World title as the pillow my laptop is resting on, ditto the ECW belt

Jannettyzilla
09-15-2009, 10:41 AM
Voted Edge, but should have went with someone else (Jericho). I'd add Orton and Punk to a Top 5, and finish the list with Kane who, despite putting everyone and their mother over in the past decade, has been as consistent as anyone in the WWF's history.

Someone, please, give the man one last "career achievement award" push.

Rammsteinmad
09-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Definitely Edge.

I think CM Punk and Rey Mysterio are right up there in his league though. Orton, Cena and Batista suck (although seven years these three were set to be 'the future').

Meh for Jeff Hardy.

TheZman
09-15-2009, 01:48 PM
3 time WWE World Heavyweight Champion
1 time ECW Champion
1 time ROH World Champion

Wasn't he the intercontinental Champion once as well?

The Jayman
09-15-2009, 01:55 PM
Wasn't he the intercontinental Champion once as well?

you are correct but I think he was listing "world" titles

GD
09-15-2009, 02:05 PM
Yeah totally forgot the IC title reign.

Emperor Smeat
09-15-2009, 02:36 PM
Edge just because of how well his cocky heel character evolved compared to normal heel characters in the WWE.

Also a huge breath of fresh air in the heel category after years of only Triple H allowed to be the dominate heel in the WWE.

XCaliber
09-15-2009, 02:39 PM
I have to go with Orton but it's not a runaway though i'd say Jericho is a very close second.

Testicle
09-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Also Jeff is a 3 time champ, 2 world, 1 wwe.

Testicle
09-15-2009, 02:47 PM
I'll go with Edge though.

Kami Raki
09-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Definitely Edge.

I think CM Punk and Rey Mysterio are right up there in his league though. Orton, Cena and Batista suck (although seven years these three were set to be 'the future').

Meh for Jeff Hardy.
I wouldn't consider Mysterio to be of this generation. He got his start and was doing big things 12-14 years ago.

My pick is Edge and CM Punk at a close second. Although Cena and Orton can't be denied.

The Gold Standard
09-15-2009, 04:06 PM
Edge gets my vote.

If this were a future one I would choose Punk, but over the past say 6-9 years it has to be Edge. He has come the farthest and has shown that the not so jakked guy can make it as a top guy in the business.

I also think he has paved the way for Punk to become the new Edge for the next 10 years.

wwe2222
09-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Define new generation. Jericho and Edge to me are still part of the Attitude/Invasion Era so I dont really count them as new generation.

Emperor Smeat
09-15-2009, 04:30 PM
Edge gets my vote.

If this were a future one I would choose Punk, but over the past say 6-9 years it has to be Edge. He has come the farthest and has shown that the not so jakked guy can make it as a top guy in the business.

I also think he has paved the way for Punk to become the new Edge for the next 10 years.

Yeup the way Edge went over as a hell using the Money in the Bank stipulation basically gave the WWE the blueprint on how to make a quick heel and make the crowd hate him. Worked for CM Punk when he "stole" Jeff Hardy's moment as champion.

Droford
09-15-2009, 04:34 PM
I was thinking the same thing..but I see that got cleared up.

Punk and Orton are really the only option for this because Edge really is a product of the Attitude Era and Cena doesn't count either.

Mogadishu
09-15-2009, 05:14 PM
In my opinion, this poll has some major flaws:

First off, does Edge really count as a superstar of the new generation? What's the definition of the new generation?

Secondly, you are assuming that the number of titles won actually mean anything in today's wrestling. I would argue that in today's wrestling world, the QUALITY of opponents that a wrestler beats is far more important than the number of titles won...be it the world title, tag titles, or any other mid-card title.

As much as we all hate the fact that Cena's character, since 2005, has been tailored towards targeting a younger demographic, Cena's name should be on your poll.

To answer the question, I think John Cena is the winner to your poll question. Lesnar would have been another guy had he stuck around. With the exception of Orton and Batista, none of the guys on your list have been pushed in such a way that they would be considered the legitimate #1 guy of the company.

GD
09-15-2009, 08:42 PM
Sorry for the Jeff Hardy flaw. The Edge and Mysterio options were tricky. It has barely been 4 years since they entered their prime and jumped a level above mid card.

Jura
09-15-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm gonna have to say Jeff, Edge, Rey, Cena, Orton and Batista are the current generation and not the new generation plus Rey and Edge have been in the biz for longer than all those dudes I believe. So I guess that leaves Punkerina.