PDA

View Full Version : Listening to the new The Mars Volta

RP
10-02-2009, 11:48 AM
First song is so different but really good. It's called Since We've Been Wrong

RP
10-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Really good album. Not quite as eratic. And thats not a bad thing at all. Lacks all the funky backround sounds and intros. Its a change, but its a decent change.

ron the dial
10-02-2009, 06:20 PM
it seems more focused than past efforts. less of that background noise and ambient space shit that you were talking about. i can only deal with so much of it and then i'm not interested anymore. that's been my main beef with the mars volta since day one. when they are on they are on, but they lose me quick.

that being said, the handful of times that i've listened to this cd i've enjoyed it but i haven't really gotten into it. not sure. perhaps i'm just not that into these guys anymore.

Fabien Barthez
10-02-2009, 07:57 PM
I personally think Bedlam in Goliath was a better record. Cotopaxi is probably my favourite rock song of this year thus far, though. Even not being as good as their last effort, they still have produced one of the best albums of 2009 over any genre IMO.

New songs sound good live, but have really changed the dynamic of their set. Whereas they would play a constant set, drifting from song to song, with massive improv inbetween, they have all the conventional song ending stops now, which for me takes away some of the unique brilliance of seeing them live, but on the same token, I am all for anyone being creative and changing the direction of the ship every time.

Not that I'm a big fan or anything... :shifty:

RP
10-07-2009, 10:07 AM
I love this album so much. It might be the best album i've heard since The 59' Sound.