PDA

View Full Version : WWE trying to block other promotions for Mania weekend

Xero
10-26-2009, 04:09 PM
From PWInsider:

With Ring of Honor announcing tickets will go on sale this week for two events held over Wrestlemania 26 weekend and Dragon Gate USA planning to hold events as well, one question we've been asked is why are the promotions announcing dates (and in the case of ROH, putting tickets on sale) so early.

There is an easy answer to that and it's World Wrestling Entertainment.

I was told a few months back by a WWE source that the company was planning to work with the cities of Phoenix and Glendale to block "rival wrestling companies" from using any city owned and managed facilities as World Wrestling Entertainment doesn't want anyone else running during "their" week in Arizona.

So, with such venues effectively locked out of potential plans, ROH worked well ahead of time to secure their venues. Since everything is locked in contractually, they are going to sell tickets now in hopes of building a big advance.

With Dragon Gate USA (and potentially others as well) quick on ROH's heels, it was smart of ROH to get the word out early as well.

The Jayman
10-26-2009, 04:24 PM
WWE is just a big bully

Outsider
10-26-2009, 04:33 PM
I don't understand how they think it hurts them?

DaveWadding
10-26-2009, 05:10 PM
ROIH and DGUSA the same week? fuck yeah I'll go.

jimmy012345
10-26-2009, 05:10 PM
WWE is just a big bully

true that

Savio
10-26-2009, 05:51 PM
the should spend this time making a better product

screech
10-26-2009, 05:54 PM
Seems silly to me.

Dorkchop
10-26-2009, 05:54 PM
It's not like they're going to lose much money by having ROH and DGUSA that weekend. It's fucking Wrestlemania. DGUSA and ROH will probably feature some better wrestling, but WWE can't be worried about the 100 people who'd go see every wrestling show that weekend and complain at Mania that the wrestling sucks. They've already proved the IWC and more "mature" (I use that word very loosely... and only in the context of people who want to see good wrestling and not Cena) wrestling fans aren't important.

CSL
10-26-2009, 06:01 PM
Dunno why anybody is suprised, WWE have a long history of this kind of stuff

The Ravishing One
10-26-2009, 06:13 PM
I don't know why their worried?? Wrestling fans are in town for Wrestlemania anyway.

DaveWadding
10-26-2009, 06:57 PM
ROH tix on sale Wednesday. HELL YEAH.

Rammsteinmad
10-26-2009, 06:59 PM

parkmania
10-26-2009, 08:17 PM
They'd rather try and keep these other promotions out of "their" consumer's eyes than actually work at improving their product from within.

ClockShot
10-26-2009, 08:22 PM
Freedom of assembly is in the Bill of Rights if I'm not mistaken.

Frankly, Vince and Co. can't do a damn thing about it.

DaveWadding
10-26-2009, 11:49 PM
Since this is kinda the de facto Mania topic right now, I'm gonna get to this:

Friday, November 6 6 p.m.- 10 p.m.
Westgate, Glendale, AZ

This is your FIRST chance to get tickets IN PERSON to WrestleMania 26 before they go on-sale to the public, plus you get to meet WWE Superstar Chris Jericho and WWE Diva Kelly Kelly - and admission is FREE!

Londoner
10-26-2009, 11:50 PM

If anything, doing this kind of stuff hurts them more.

parkmania
10-27-2009, 01:30 PM
If anything, doing this kind of stuff hurts them more.

How so? If none of the other organizations can get a venue in the town, then the casual/midrange fans who don't know ROH/DGUSA exist have missed another chance to find out. That means more potential money in Vince's wallet, plus it makes it harder for ROH/DGUSA to make payroll. Then Vince can come in and raid them for talent whenever without most of "his" customers going "Hey, I know that guy's name is Bryan Danielson, not 'Texas Dirt'."

Team Sheep
10-27-2009, 06:32 PM
WWE run Axxess events all day every day over Wrestlemania weekend. I'm sure many fans opt to go to ROH instead. If WWE can prevent outside promotions from coming in on that weekend they'll make a few extra bucks. Ruthless business guys, don't be surprised.