PDA

View Full Version : Could the Piledriver return as an actual finisher?

Xero
12-09-2009, 12:06 PM
With it being "banned" for so many years, I think it'd be cool if one guy in WWE started using the Piledriver as a finisher. For years it had been a "staple" move, but I think they could bring it back for someone and really make it seem special.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DdyeRBkmUGA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DdyeRBkmUGA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ron the dial
12-09-2009, 12:08 PM
piledrivers and ddts are my 2 favorite moves so i'm all about more piledrivers

ron the dial
12-09-2009, 12:08 PM
and since nobody in the wwe uses them anymore i don't see why it couldn't be a finisher. just don't see it happening.

The Jayman
12-09-2009, 12:09 PM
so you piledrivers eh WeX :naughty:

Gerard
12-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Its weird that a move as simplistic as the piledriver has been banned, we all know what happened with austin but that was more of a tombstone varient than anything. The regular piledriver looks pretty easy to keep the opponent safe yet its not been used in years. Suprised they havn't banned the ddt as its essentialy the same outcome as a piledriver, mat meet head.

ron the dial
12-09-2009, 12:11 PM
what the hell does piledriver even mean? thinking about that right now and i can't see why it would be called that. am i missing something?

The Show Off
12-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Eric Young uses a piledriver as a finishing move.

"A pile driver is a mechanical device used to drive piles into soil to provide foundation support for buildings or other structures. The term is also used in reference to members of the construction crew that work with pile-driving rigs.

"One traditional type of pile driver includes a heavy weight placed between guides so that it is able to freely slide up and down in a single line. It is placed upon a pile. The weight is raised, which may involve the use of hydraulics, steam, diesel, or manual labour. When the weight reaches its highest point it is then released and smashes on to the pile in order to drive it into the ground."

The term piledriver in the wrestling sense gets its name because it's similar movement to the actual mechanical pile driver.

ron the dial
12-09-2009, 12:24 PM
thank you, the show off, for doing the research i had no intention of doing. i had no idea that there was such a thing as a pile driver.

Ermaximus
12-09-2009, 12:37 PM
The only guy in WWE I can think of that still does/might do it would be Lawler, but even then I think his finish move was changed to that weak ass Fist drop.

Jordan
12-09-2009, 12:42 PM
HBK will tease it from time to time. I think he's hit it once or twice in recent years. Maybe against Taker?

redoneja
12-09-2009, 12:45 PM
HBK will tease it from time to time. I think he's hit it once or twice in recent years. Maybe against Taker?

Yea for some reason I think he may have done it during their WM 25 match.

Anybody Thrilla
12-09-2009, 12:52 PM
The Undertaker never stopped doing his stupid piledriver. What's the deal with that?

The Show Off
12-09-2009, 12:53 PM

He did it at Wrestlemania 23 against John Cena onto the steel steps, intrestingly enough I just watched that match.

Xero
12-09-2009, 12:59 PM
The Undertaker never stopped doing his stupid piledriver. What's the deal with that?

Yes he did. When he had the Last Ride he RARELY used the Tombstone except in big match situations/angles.

Jordan
12-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Now the tombstone looks really fake.

Jordan
12-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Btw Steiner hit the Steiner screwdriver recently on Amazing Red and it was fucking sick. I felt like I was playing WCW vs NWO Revenge.

HBPunk
12-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Now the tombstone looks really fake.

Tombstone always looked lame,if anything taker should roll about selling a double knee injury. That would be awesome if he kept doing it and his opponent just rolled over him for the 3 right after it

Jordan
12-09-2009, 01:18 PM
To answer the question yes I love the piledriver and I think it would be a great finisher for somebody to use.

BigDaddyCool
12-09-2009, 01:20 PM
The piledriver is such a good finisher.

The Show Off
12-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Eric Young uses a piledriver as a finishing move.

Xero
12-09-2009, 01:29 PM
With it being "banned" for so many years, I think it'd be cool if one guy in WWE started using the Piledriver as a finisher. For years it had been a "staple" move, but I think they could bring it back for someone and really make it seem special.

Because the Piledriver isn't banned elsewhere.

The Show Off
12-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Because the Piledriver isn't banned elsewhere.

Ahh I overlooked that, my bad. It was a situation where I just read the thread title, which didn't mention a specific league.

Though to be fair every time Eric Young uses it Tenay makes a big deal about the piledriver being practically banned as it's an unwritten rule between the boys not to use it.

The Jayman
12-09-2009, 01:48 PM

Kane's tombstone was better

Xero
12-09-2009, 01:49 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OwamCFdjGXM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OwamCFdjGXM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Droford
12-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Its also one of the worst looking finishers if they dont get the camera angle right and you can see how protected the pile drivee is.

jskinnyg
12-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Btw Steiner hit the Steiner screwdriver recently on Amazing Red and it was fucking sick. I felt like I was playing WCW vs NWO Revenge.

Yes he did... First time I have liked anything that ass clown has done in years... and WCW vs NITRO Revenge was AWESOME!

screech
12-09-2009, 04:52 PM
How dare you badmouth Scott Steiner :mad:

screech
12-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Responding to the thread, yes I do think it can be used in WWE and put over as something big. I could see a Mike Knox-type character using it just to try to take out his opponents.

screech
12-09-2009, 04:56 PM
I don't think Knox should be the guy, though. I feel like he's too big to pull it off well (if that makes sense).

The Jayman
12-09-2009, 04:56 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OwamCFdjGXM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OwamCFdjGXM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

god I wish they could have built more on this :-\

Xero
12-09-2009, 04:57 PM
I don't think Knox should be the guy, though. I feel like he's too big to pull it off well (if that makes sense).

I see what you're saying. It's not exactly a move that looks good when the guy giving it is huge. Always seems weird when I watch a match from the 80s between two relatively big guys and a Piledriver is executed. Just doesn't look good.

That's how I see it anyway.

screech
12-09-2009, 04:58 PM
I see what you're saying. It's not exactly a move that looks good when the guy giving it is huge.

Right. Plus, Knox can do other menacing things to serve the same purpose because of his size.

The Pope
12-09-2009, 05:58 PM
Eric young does it well

Damian Rey
12-09-2009, 07:44 PM

First person that came to mind was Sheamus. It's a tad late in terms of buildup, but having him exploit Cena's "surgically repaired neck" with a piledriver would have been a decent way to get him over as a semi-legit threat.

DAMN iNATOR
12-09-2009, 08:46 PM
I'd enjoy seeing a real piledriver become one of the new guys sig/finisher maneuvers, especially since the Tombstone variation just seems so played out these days.

Anywho, this question reminded me of an old classic from back in the day...
<EMBED height=364 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=445 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/nXlOWjobOZU&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1 allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

Indifferent Clox
12-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Craziest sick piledriever ever at threemendous 2 chris hero v joey ryan, he wraps a chain around his neck and legit drops him on his head.

ClockShot
12-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Lawler always used it as a finisher.

But other variations i.e. the Brainbuster, Vertibreaker, also should make a comeback.

However, there's gotta be a way to not put much of the move on head/neck.

Jeritron
12-09-2009, 10:36 PM
RVD could sell a hell of a piledriver

Indifferent Clox
12-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Lawler always used it as a finisher.

But other variations i.e. the Brainbuster, Vertibreaker, also should make a comeback.

However, there's gotta be a way to not put much of the move on head/neck.

it's called working a match and not trying to rush through it to ge to the midget segment

The Mackem
12-10-2009, 10:35 AM
It's good that these moves are getting back their 'special' status as opposed to be used by every other guy as a 'normal' move which is how it seemed years back.

Supreme Olajuwon
12-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Priceless or the Hart Dynasty should work a spike piledriver into their rotation.