PDA

View Full Version : The Great White Hype???

Kris P Lettus
04-11-2004, 01:16 AM
Vitali Klitschko to face Corrie Sanders for the Heavyweight title that Lenox Lewis gave up during his retirement...

Back story:

13 months ago, Wladimir Klitschko, the heavy favorite was knocked out by Corrie Sanders.. Sanders, at the time, was seriously continplating retirement.. His KO over Klitscho revitalized his career.. Vitali Klitschko was beaten by Lenox Lewis but gave an out of shape Lewis a hell of a fight.. He earned alot of respect from fans and media.. Lenox Lewis refused a rematch and ended up retiring.. Now, Sanders and Vitali are schedualed to fight for the vancant title on April 28..

I dunno, I'm really looking forward to this fight.. Especially after Wladimir Klitschko was knocked out tonight by super underdog Lamone Brewster.. Vitali needs this win to honor his brother.. Sanders wants this win to keep his career alive and take it to new hieghts..

Also, when was the last time two "white" dudes fought for the title??

I can't remember ever seeing that happen..

Thoughts??

Rob
04-11-2004, 09:54 AM
Dude, the Klitschko's are the most overrated fighters I have ever seen. The pair of them are one dimensional and have glass jaws. People forget that Lennox Lewis was training for a non title fight with some Canadian chump in Kirk Johnson and took the Vitiali fight on 10 days notice. Look at the damage he still managed to do to the worst Ivan Drago impersonator out there. And that was with only using his jab! Corrie Sanders and Michael Grant have already shown they have glass jaws too. Thank God for Lamone Brewster (might have been 9-1 to win but certainly wasn't an underdog in my eyes) knocked out that big Russian retard last night because maybe now the boxing world will open their eyes and realise the heavyweight division is absolutely dead. The only hope out there is Audley Harrison and that's not saying much. Hopefully Sanders will do the business again and end the myth of these two Russian jabroni brothers (oooooooh I used a wrestling term to describe real life! I can't see the heat in the casual forum already :roll: ) once and for all.

Shame to see Michael Brodie get beat last night but Injin Chi is awseome. Brodie would get killed by Scott Harrison and Marco Antonio Barrera though so don't know why he is looking for those fights. I knew Cory Spinks would beat Zab Judah though.

I'm thinking we make this the official boxing thread now and see where it goes.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
04-11-2004, 01:07 PM
cmon Rob, after that little blurp how can you tell me you aren't on Lewis' nutsack lol

Rob
04-11-2004, 02:01 PM
Ok the Drago twins are the greatest thing since sliced bread and will dominate the heavyweight division for years to come.

Happy?

Jesus Shuttlesworth
04-11-2004, 03:05 PM
No because that is some bullllllshit

Vlad gave Lewis a good fight and you keep bringing up excuses for Lewis. How can you call Vlad one of the most overrated boxers when he almost beat Lewis?

The Outlaw
04-11-2004, 03:44 PM
Yeah you have been showing signs of being on Lewis' nuts

Kris P Lettus
04-11-2004, 07:17 PM
I don't truthfully like the Klitscko's... Last night proved that Wladimir was overratted.. He dished out everything he could on a vitual unknown, who hadn't fought in over a year, and ended up getting KO'd.. He looked tired and super weak.. Vitali, on the other hand did give Lewis a great fight.. Lewis was out of shape, but so was Tyson when he fought Lewis.. You don't hear people taking that win away from Lenox.. I truely believe that Vitali's facial fetures caused him to win the fight.. If they hadn't stopped it, I dunno.. I also think Lewis is a pussy for retiring instead of giving him a rematch..

:-\

Sanders and Klitscko are both brawlers with heavy punching power.. It'll be an awesome fight...

p.s.Zab Juda fought a better fight.. He just started way too slow.. It was a good fight none the less...

The CyNick
04-11-2004, 11:42 PM
Lets get one thing straight, nobody forced Lewis to take the Klitschko fight so any excuse saying "he was out of shape" is lame in my book. Lewis was the Heavyweight champ, if you cant put forth the effort to train for a fight (title on the line or not) then you get what you deserve and using it as an excuse makes him sound like a pussy.

Lewis has been shown in the past to have something of a glass jaw himself, I mean how else did Hassim Rachman become the Undisputed Champion?

Klitschko had Lewis on the ropes, and the fact that Lewis didn't give him a rematch in some evidence that Klitschko has some potential.

Now, the problem with both Klitschkos is that they just cant take a decent punch. That can make for some exciting drama, but it doesn't make for a good world champ. Vitali seems to be a little better than Vlad, but I wouldn't bet the farm that he will win the title in 2 weeks. However, I will say that Vitali looked really good in his last fight, but then again Kirk Johnson isn't the best measuring stick, so take that for what its worth.

I agree with Rob when he says the division is crap right now. I think Vitali has some potential if he can prove he can take a punch. But if he cant, and even if he wins the title, he could lose it in his next fight to George Foreman or something. Maybe this year's Olympics will provide the next big thing in the heavyweight division because I dont see anyone out there who can carry it.

Rob
04-12-2004, 03:19 PM
No because that is some bullllllshit

Vlad gave Lewis a good fight and you keep bringing up excuses for Lewis. How can you call Vlad one of the most overrated boxers when he almost beat Lewis?

When did I say Vitali didn't give Lewis a good fight (and it wasn't Vlad for the record)?

I admitted Vitali was winning the fight against Lewis but my arguement always has been no fights are 6 round contests. I've seen fighters win 11 straight rounds and then get knocked out in the 12th. The way that fight was going, Lewis was gassed but Vitali was in a worse state and his face needed over 50 stiches from jabs. I've seen fights stopped on lesser cuts and agreed with the decisions to stop those fights (Belfort vs. Courture in the UFC for one).

Lennox Lewis no doubt half arsed trained for this fight. There isn't an excuse for that but a half arsed Lewis was still better. Hasim Rahman knocked out Lennox Lewis when he half arsed trained for that fight. Fair play to Rahman but that don't make him one of the greatest heavyweights of all time does it?
But like CyNick said, nobody forced Lewis to fight so him gassed isn't an excuse. It's still a fact he wasn't properly trained though.
Vitali got his face torn up by Lewis and was convincably knocked out against Michael Grant. Grant then fought Lewis and was absolutely embarrassed. Why hasn't Vitali got in the ring with Grant since his loss to avenage it?

As for Vladimir, he got his brains smashed in this weekend by a nobody and was also humiliated by Corrie Sanders - another nobody. Between the pair of the Dragos, they haven't beaten one single heavyweight I'd call world class and they were both battered by nobodies. Those are facts. Lewis got knocked out twice by nobodies but he came back stronger and not only avenged the losses but beat everyone they put in from of him. Again, a fact. If that's riding his dick then whatever.

The Russian brothers can't even be considered the best in the heavyweight division in the poorest state the division has been in for over 100 years.

For Christ sake base your opinions on more than 6 rounds of boxing please. I do.

Rob
04-12-2004, 03:25 PM
Lewis has been shown in the past to have something of a glass jaw himself, I mean how else did Hassim Rachman become the Undisputed Champion?

Lewis never trained properly for that fight (no excuse but the facts) and didn't prepare for fighting at altitude. Don't care if you are Lewis, Holyfield, Ali, Marciano or Louis, any heavyweight fighter who does that and has his mouth wide open when taking a punch from a 235lbs man is going to get knocked out.

Kris P Lettus
04-12-2004, 03:30 PM
Lewis never trained properly for that fight (no excuse but the facts) and didn't prepare for fighting at altitude. Don't care if you are Lewis, Holyfield, Ali, Marciano or Louis, any heavyweight fighter who does that and has his mouth wide open when taking a punch from a 235lbs man is going to get knocked out.

I think the point is, that a good fighter A)trains for every fight (Lewis was supposed to fight that same night, the other boxer, whose name escapes me, dropped outta the fight and Vitali replaced him so he should've trained anyway) and B)not open their mouths...

[/longest sentence ever]

SuperSlim
04-12-2004, 03:37 PM
sounds like it's gonna be a good one

BigDaddyCool
04-12-2004, 03:37 PM
you're font color is hard to read, crispy.

Rob
04-12-2004, 03:38 PM
I think the point is, that a good fighter A)trains for every fight (Lewis was supposed to fight that same night, the other boxer, whose name escapes me, dropped outta the fight and Vitali replaced him so he should've trained anyway) and B)not open their mouths...

[/longest sentence ever]

Lewis "trained" for a non title fight against Kirk Johnson. He was ranked 15th by the WBC and not ranked by the other organisations. His past fights speak for themselves.

The point is, when you don't train, you get whats coming and Lewis did. He got knocked out on two nights he got complacent. I'm saying there is a difference between being lazy and complacent to being not to world class standard.

Kris P Lettus
04-12-2004, 03:58 PM
I'm saying there is a difference between being lazy and complacent to being not to world class standard.

But, while fighting at the world class level, he should fight at a world class level...

;)

The CyNick
04-12-2004, 04:19 PM
I just find it convinient that Lewis talks about not being prepared when he gets treated like a punching bag. Seems like an excuse more than anything.

Klitschko did enough in the fight to earn a rematch, but he never got one, to me that doesn't speak too well for Lewis. I still consider Lewis as one of the great heavyweights of all time, but he shouldn't use his lack of regard for his fans as a reason for getting beat up.

The Outlaw
04-13-2004, 12:09 AM
Lol are all of Lewis' excuses he didn't train?

He must be one lazy ****er

Rob
04-13-2004, 02:31 PM
Lol are all of Lewis' excuses he didn't train?

He must be one lazy ****er

For the record, Lennox Lewis has never said that publically and has never made excuses for his losses. Manny Stewart questioned his training. I as a fan certainly question it. I have played football at altitude and that was with some training and it's a freaking nightmare. If you don't prepare for it then it's your own fault and there is no excuse.

Rob
04-25-2004, 07:20 AM
So Vitali beat Corrie Sanders in 8 rounds last night. Big deal. Heavyweight division is still a joke. Mike Tyson in the state he is in could still probably beat every dude left. They can keep on giving Joe Mesi the big push because he is a joke too. Audley Harrison ain't much better either.

Knock boxing on the head and jump on the MMA bandwagon. MMA star and current New Japan wrestling star Kevin Randleman just knocked out "the pro wrestling killer" Mirko Cro Cop in just over a minute! :D Now this is a competitive sport.