PDA

View Full Version : Who's at *That* point in WWE's midcard?

Xero
01-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Who in WWE's mid card do you think is just at that point where one good angle will launch them into a credible main eventer?

This is taking popularity, overness and whatnot into account.

Anybody Thrilla
01-28-2010, 01:01 PM
I would have said Kofi Kingston about a month ago, but I'm not so sure. For now, I'd say both John Morrison and The Miz are looking pretty good. Oddly enough, moreso The Miz than Morrison at press time.

Xero
01-28-2010, 01:03 PM
I would have said Kofi Kingston about a month ago, but I'm not so sure. For now, I'd say both John Morrison and The Miz are looking pretty good. Oddly enough, moreso The Miz than Morrison at press time.

I agree. I never thought Miz would rise faster than Morrison. Always thought Morrison would be the one to go to the top. Honestly never thought Miz would ever be as big as he is and figured he was really the Jannetty of the team.

Anybody Thrilla
01-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Oh, and is CM Punk already a main eventer?

Xero
01-28-2010, 01:04 PM
Oh, and is CM Punk already a main eventer?

Yeah. I'm talking about guys who have never been above mid-card status. Punk's been at the top and just slid back down a bit, so he doesn't count as a mid-carder.

"Rotational Main Eventer" is a term I'd use for him. He's rotated into the main event every so often instead of being a permanent main-stay (at least for now).

The Franchise
01-28-2010, 01:06 PM
The Miz/MVP. I think a feud with each other will do them wonders. If done right this could be almost like The Rock vs Triple H in 1998 where two upper mid-carders feud and get each other over. They are both getting good reactions with the crowd - Miz has lots of heat but he's also funny and has a charm to him and MVP is over as a face and has a catchphrase. GOLDEN. They're pretty good in the ring and are solid on the mic. Both have all the little things like easily recognizable entrance themes, catchphrases, multi-dimensional characters etc. I really think this feud between the two if done right will put them on the brink of blowing up and then all they need is a feud with a main-eventer and they should be made.

After that if the Legacy split-up is done correct then Ted DiBiase should be a main-eventer sometime this year. Other than that no one really stands out that much.

Ermaximus
01-28-2010, 01:07 PM
The Miz, Morrison, and oddly enough, R-Truth. If Dibiase would get more solo time, I think he'd be close, but as it stands now, he's not even close to the other 3. Same could be said for Ziggler and Kofi. Kofi had it several months ago, but lately it feels like he's back where he started.

The Franchise
01-28-2010, 01:07 PM
Forgot about Morrison. Him too.

Anybody Thrilla
01-28-2010, 01:21 PM
DON'T EVER FORGET ABOUT MORRISON!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ermaximus
01-28-2010, 01:36 PM

Innovator
01-28-2010, 02:06 PM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uAnnMv4Fgns&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uAnnMv4Fgns&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Fignuts
01-28-2010, 02:06 PM

Who?

The Franchise
01-28-2010, 02:09 PM
Mike Knox

Ermaximus
01-28-2010, 02:11 PM
Mike Knox's Beard

Good call.

Londoner
01-28-2010, 02:14 PM
John Morrison is the obvious choice, maybe R-truth, with the way they're booking him he seems to be getting over....

Londoner
01-28-2010, 02:14 PM
Forgot about Morrison. Him too.

:nono::nono::nono::nono::mad:

The Franchise
01-28-2010, 02:15 PM
http://heelzone.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/mike-knox.jpg

Business has just picked up

Anybody Thrilla
01-28-2010, 02:16 PM
R-Truth did have a suprisingly big reaction when I went to this past Smackdown taping. It was a little disheartening, to tell you the truth.

Anybody Thrilla
01-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Mike Knox wasn't even there, which was also pretty disheartening.

Ermaximus
01-28-2010, 02:17 PM
R-Truth did have a suprisingly big reaction when I went to this past Smackdown taping. It was a little disheartening, to tell you the truth.

Like he tells us ABT, the Truth hurts. :(

Londoner
01-28-2010, 02:25 PM
I would say the miz but i just can't see him ever fitting into the main events....

Anybody Thrilla
01-28-2010, 02:26 PM
I would say the miz but i just can't see him ever fitting into the main events....

If they would have given him just ONE actual win over Cena....it could have been the flukiest fucking win of all time....it would have helped him SO much.

The Franchise
01-28-2010, 02:33 PM
He's still doing pretty good but yeah a win over Cena would have been HUGE for Miz.

Nicky Fives
01-28-2010, 02:54 PM
My answer would have been Kofi about a month or so ago, but they seem to have dropped his push, so "that guy" now is The Miz

Jordan
01-28-2010, 03:23 PM
If WWE books Miz/MVP well I think both of them will be ready for the main event soon.

Christian is an obvious choice.

I feel like with any decent attention at all Carlito can be a main eventer.

The Jayman
01-28-2010, 03:27 PM
Matt Hardy :shifty:

screech
01-28-2010, 04:25 PM
I agree with Miz/MVP getting each other up there, but my biggest "downside" about MVP is his finisher. If they could change that, MVP would have it all to get to the top.

Savio
01-28-2010, 04:36 PM
Sheamus

The Franchise
01-28-2010, 04:36 PM
MVP needs a "ballin" finisher. Maybe he should climb to the top rope, curl up into a ball and summersault onto his opponent. :shifty:

Mr. Nerfect
01-28-2010, 05:11 PM
Kofi Kingston should be there. The WWE has sort of faltered with him recently, which is disheartening, but Kingston has pretty much done everything else. He's won the IC, US and Tag Team Titles. Seems like moving up to the main event scene is the most logical path for him. If they cared about the ECW brand, then moving him over there to go for the "sub-World Title" would be interesting.

Carlito is another guy who has won every single title available in the mid-card. I've always liked his character, and felt that Carlito himself is a great performer. He's got a lot of issues holding him back, but in an ideal world, Carlito would have been main eventing some time again. He's had a few shots here and there, but nothing that could even be considered a proper tour.

MVP was, at one point, a sure thing. Now, not so much. His recent work with The Miz has been fantastic, though, as much as the WWE have booked him poorly otherwise. A third US Title win for MVP before he eventually moves up the card would be lovely. Perhaps MVP could drop the US Title off to either Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase, and give them a proper run in the mid-card before they get a run as a main eventer?

Speaking of The Miz -- his work has been fantastic lately. It seems like he could be ready. But on the same hand, it doesn't feel like he is, you know? He's over enough, he's good enough in the ring, and he's one of the best in the company on the mic. Something just doesn't fit, though. Perhaps a proper program with John Morrison would fix that.

John Morrison and his abs belong in whatever main event they choose to be in.

Dolph Ziggler really impresses me every time he is out there. He's got a good character, and he's a fantastic overall talent. It doesn't both me that he has not won a mid-card singles title -- I'd just love to see Ziggler main event. It would not offend me. Jack Swagger is another guy that is in no position to main event, but really could with just a few slight adjustments. Matt Hardy has also been ready for a long time in all areas but perhaps consistency of his push.

Jordan
01-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Yeah Noid the thing abut Miz is that he is still green to an extent. When he does backstage scenes like on Raw with the guest host saying "REALLY?" over and over again was painful to watch. That type of stuff is just back acting and it really takes away momentum. His promo's with MVP are great so far, and I like the relationship with Big Show a little bit.

There will always be one thing though and its not I'm the Miz and I'm AWESOME its I'm the Miz and I'm ANNOYING.

He really really is annoying, now true he has been able to turn that into a strong character, I just don't see that personality ever main eventing multiple PPV's or bringing in big ratings.

Now maybe I am wrong, for one if WWE marketed Miz in the right way he may be able to pull in new audience based on his MTV celebrity, but the truth is nobody really loves reality TV characters, their lame and souless it seems. That is my opinion, other people may not view it that way. I guess reality TV fits in with WWE in a way so it works but for myself I don't like reality TV and I don't like my wrestling to be infected by that type of creativity or style.

That is exactly what I hate about wrestling right now, Vince wants to bring in celebs to host Raw every week, well then the celebrity involvement at Wrestlemania will be nothing special this year. I mean how will they be able to top Shack, or Mike Tyson? What, another Kid Rock performance? Give me a break.

So what do I do? I switch to TNA, only to find out Dixie wants to bring in celebs of an even lower rate, Survivor contestants for Christ sake! It's all bull shit and gets in the way of really good wrestlers rising up the card, because 20 minutes of Raw needs to be filled with horribly acted and uncommited actors or questionable celebrities playing matchmaker in scenes with DX, Jericho, Hornswoggle, Santino or the Diva's.

Jordan
01-28-2010, 05:35 PM
And to top things off ROH's booking has been smelling like a used diaper for nearly a year.

jskinnyg
01-28-2010, 06:29 PM
Christian is an obvious choice.

eventer.[/QUOTE]

YES!!!

jskinnyg
01-28-2010, 06:30 PM
Matt Hardy :shifty:

NOOOOOOOO!!! Unless you let his stupid Drama Tweets be his gimmick...

St. Jimmy
01-28-2010, 07:15 PM
No one.

VSG
01-28-2010, 07:38 PM
Drew Mcintyre!

Londoner
01-28-2010, 07:42 PM
Drew Mcintyre!

Probs abit too early, but can easily see him main eventing in future.

XL
01-28-2010, 07:42 PM
I honestly don't think there is a *that* point any more.

I'm not sure if WWE just keep testing the waters with guys only to cool off on them mid-push or what. The likes of Morrison, Ziggler, Swagger, Kofi and MVP have all been going great, looking for that one moment/match/program to put then over the top yet it never seems to come.

The only guy they have really pulled the trigger on was Sheamus...and they did it far too quickly if you ask me.

Londoner
01-28-2010, 07:51 PM
I honestly don't think there is a *that* point any more.

I believe there is but wwe never realizes it, sheamus is just a one off.

Mr. Nerfect
01-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Yeah Noid the thing abut Miz is that he is still green to an extent. When he does backstage scenes like on Raw with the guest host saying "REALLY?" over and over again was painful to watch. That type of stuff is just back acting and it really takes away momentum. His promo's with MVP are great so far, and I like the relationship with Big Show a little bit.

There will always be one thing though and its not I'm the Miz and I'm AWESOME its I'm the Miz and I'm ANNOYING.

He really really is annoying, now true he has been able to turn that into a strong character, I just don't see that personality ever main eventing multiple PPV's or bringing in big ratings.

Now maybe I am wrong, for one if WWE marketed Miz in the right way he may be able to pull in new audience based on his MTV celebrity, but the truth is nobody really loves reality TV characters, their lame and souless it seems. That is my opinion, other people may not view it that way. I guess reality TV fits in with WWE in a way so it works but for myself I don't like reality TV and I don't like my wrestling to be infected by that type of creativity or style.

That is exactly what I hate about wrestling right now, Vince wants to bring in celebs to host Raw every week, well then the celebrity involvement at Wrestlemania will be nothing special this year. I mean how will they be able to top Shack, or Mike Tyson? What, another Kid Rock performance? Give me a break.

So what do I do? I switch to TNA, only to find out Dixie wants to bring in celebs of an even lower rate, Survivor contestants for Christ sake! It's all bull shit and gets in the way of really good wrestlers rising up the card, because 20 minutes of Raw needs to be filled with horribly acted and uncommited actors or questionable celebrities playing matchmaker in scenes with DX, Jericho, Hornswoggle, Santino or the Diva's.

I actually like The Miz, so I don't agree with everything you are saying. I feel that The Miz is entertaining (often the most entertaining part of RAW), and that he has been a more than capable worker for a long time. It's just that I don't feel he is at *that* point yet. If The Miz were to suddenly be called a main eventer tomorrow, it would not feel right to me. Even though there are some guys that he would technically be ranked above that I do believe are ready.

This alliance with Big Show has got a lot of potential, and if the WWE had separate Tag Team Titles still, I could definitely see The Miz and Big Show as WWE Tag Team Champions, or something. He feels like an "upper mid-carder" to me right now, and I think he should spend some time at that level. He's been getting more and more over with crowds, too. There have apparently been some spattering face reactions for him. This is excellent, as it pushes him past that "annoying heel" heat that doesn't translate into an effective face turn down the line. I do feel that The Miz could eventually become either a) a heel that is quite popular and moves some merchandise that people are BEGGING to see turn face, or b) a heel so loathed that people might actually pay to see him get his ass kicked by a top face.

blak23
01-28-2010, 08:54 PM
I think the miz is great for wrestling, and, i find his character to be something that's good to watch. nowadays you don't see many heels who have good mic skills. as for the reality portion i don't even relate miz to his real world days he's moved past it, and people who can't move past it themselves, i feel, are hindering themselves from enjoying a guy who in all truth puts on a great show.

blak23
01-28-2010, 08:58 PM
I don't believe Kofi's push has ended. we thought it ended before but then Orton came and attacked and it was back on again. I mean if that is what wwe is doing in order to keep the rivalry fresh i commend them because i find myself looking forward to kofi v randy for the world title.

Emperor Smeat
01-29-2010, 12:58 AM
I would include Christian once he gets out of ECW since he's helped develop that show during his time as champion with all the young/new wrestlers he faced and helped. Probably would work out better on Smackdown than Raw since they have a fresher and flexible main event scene.

Wrestlers that are doubtful when it looked like WWE was set to develop and push them into a future main event would be MVP, Swagger, and Kofi. Of the three, Kofi still is seen as a a credible main event candidate even though his feud with Orton was mostly one-sided.

Mr. Nerfect
01-29-2010, 01:11 AM
The WWE has a pretty sure thing with Kofi Kingston. It's not wasted yet, but they could have made him a shoe-in for MITB winner, or something, and now he only seems like a likely choice.

Xerzes
01-29-2010, 04:09 AM
Essentially, no one. WWE seems to have some kind of fetyish to building young guys up to the brink of the main event, then shitting on them. Kofi, Swagger, Bourne looked like he had a shot when he was still on ECW, MVP, Ziggler, Poochie, Mark Henry had a shot just after moving to Raw, Morrison, all gone. I'll be surprised if a single one of them ends up with a world title for longer than a month, now.

DAMN iNATOR
01-29-2010, 05:19 AM
MVP
Swagger
Morrison
Matt Hardy

Londoner
01-29-2010, 05:42 AM
I wouldn't say swagger, nowhere near it,imo.

Dante69
01-29-2010, 06:41 AM
MVP,Matt Hardy,Kofi Kingston,Morrison,The Miz and Kane

screech
01-29-2010, 12:00 PM
I wouldn't say swagger, nowhere near it,imo.

I agree. I would have probably said Swagger a few months ago, but he's kinda been forgotten lately.

Anybody Thrilla
01-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Hopefully Swagger gets drafted to SmackDOWN! after Wrestlemania. I think he'll be great there.

Phenomenal 1
01-29-2010, 04:41 PM
Hands down for me has to be the Miz....he's got that Jericho-esque heel gimmick and heat going for him at the moment and that cockiness that reminds in himself of the same cockiness that we saw in a early 1994 through late 1995 Shawn Michaels when you could tell he was on the cusp of breaking out of that Intercontinental title-Mid card status when he won the 1995 Royal Rumble and went to Mania. No one saw it coming but you could see all the tangibles were there. I think another good feud with someone the likes of HBK, Triple H, or someone on that upper tier level could be the breaking of the glass ceiling that Miz needs and he could be the next over heel that WWE needs cause Sheamus doesn't do it for me anymore and I think alot of fans agree.

Stickman
01-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Nobody in the mid card has caught my attention. Everybody is just too bland and I can't differentiate anybody.

Rammsteinmad
01-30-2010, 01:08 PM
I remember on Smackdown when MVP was one of those 'future superstar' types to look out for. He has since been pissed away on Raw. :(

Londoner
01-30-2010, 01:41 PM
I was never fully confident in MVP anyway, doesn't look like someone whose gonna main event.