PDA

View Full Version : It's about time someone else cashes in the MITB in a well-built match

Xero
02-14-2010, 03:51 PM
Getting sort of tired of always having the MITB be cashed in at an opportune time. I think it's time someone wins it and builds to a match like RVD did.

So, discuss potential MITB winners and sceneries for this.

Jeritron
02-14-2010, 03:54 PM
I think they got for the element of suprise and believability with it.

You have to ask, if you were to win this case and wrestling was a real world, why would you announce when you're cashing it in?

In RVD's case, it made sense because he wanted to get a match with Cena in Hammerstein, and without challenging him beforehand he wouldn't have been at the event/he wouldn't have the built up "home field advantage"

In the case of just about everyone else, they would have no reason to really do such, unless they were concerned about helping the company with PPV buyrates, and wanted to completely throw away the advantage that Money In The Bank is supposed to be worth fighting for to begin with.

Perry Saturn
02-14-2010, 03:56 PM
I could see someone winning the MITB and then cashing it in to only lose the match

Mr. Nerfect
02-14-2010, 03:58 PM
I completely agree with Jeritron. Part of the charm of Money in the Bank is that it is a "sure thing." If a guy cashes in MITB and fails, he looks like a complete dick, in my opinion. Those chances go up if they announce when they are going to compete for the title. Samoa Joe has done that in TNA, and I'm pretty sure it's going to lead to AJ Styles retaining the title and Joe looking foolish.

One guy I could see announcing ahead of time, is a Kofi Kingston, John Morrison or even a Christian. They would have to win when they cashed in, though.

Xero
02-14-2010, 04:02 PM
I think they got for the element of suprise and believability with it.

You have to ask, if you were to win this case and wrestling was a real world, why would you announce when you're cashing it in?

In RVD's case, it made sense because he wanted to get a match with Cena in Hammerstein, and without challenging him beforehand he wouldn't have been at the event/he wouldn't have the built up "home field advantage"

In the case of just about everyone else, they would have no reason to really do such, unless they were concerned about helping the company with PPV buyrates, and wanted to completely throw away the advantage that Money In The Bank is supposed to be worth fighting for to begin with.

But this is what writers are for. Even with the element of unpredictability (in terms of WHEN it's being cashed in), it's too predictable at this point that it WILL happen this way. It needs to be changed up.

A loss would be a good change of pace, though.

screech
02-14-2010, 04:04 PM
From the Miz as champion thread, agreeing with Noid's idea of Miz/MITB (related enough):

I would actually love to see him with the MITB briefcase. He would be great stirring the shit among the champions while he picked his path.

I think a great way for Miz to win the title would be to take down Cena for it. I'd like to see him beat down Cena with the case after his matches, teasing a cash-in, but challenging him to a legit match to actually win it (via fluke rollup to have a reason for a short run/a Cena rematch and squash win).

That will probably never happen, but I think it would be a great way to get the belt on Miz, if even for a short time.

That's not to say that I would want Miz to have a short run. That's just how I could see it happening if that scenario goes down.

screech
02-14-2010, 04:05 PM
I'd like to see the winner cash in at that Mania. It'd be especially interesting if that individual had never main-evented Mania before that point. If the challenger loses, there is a [kayfabe] reason for it and for a rematch. Challenger wins, it's "beginner's luck" and grounds for a rematch with the former champion.

Jeritron
02-14-2010, 04:06 PM
I would like to see it cashed in at a Wrestlemania first.

I'd also like to see a Money In The Bank winner hold off for a long time, and win the subsequent Royal Rumble.

Then, they'd announce that they're using both title shots at Wrestlemania, against both world champions.
It would have to be a new wrestler that the company was really behind though, like Brock or Cena were.

Xero
02-14-2010, 04:08 PM
They were trying that with Kennedy.

Look where that wound up. lol

Though I think Kennedy would have eventually put it up sooner.

Jeritron
02-14-2010, 04:08 PM
Or it would be cool to see a champion somehow use the MITB case to steal the other championship, to become unified (if only for a little while).

Jeritron
02-14-2010, 04:11 PM
I don't know why it is beyond the realm of possibility for a MITB holder to somehow earn an unrelated title shot, or win the title in a match like the elimination chamber.
Then, they still have the MITB case as an insurance policy, or a means to chase the other title.

I'm sure they stay away from this to avoid confusion. This is all without also involving what seems to be the constantly guarunteed "rematch clause" that every champion has.
I would imagine some confusion with an existing world champion losing their title, only to demand their rematch and lose, then use their MITB case to win the title, and be forced to award the other wrestler their rematch...

Sycophant
02-14-2010, 04:22 PM
Taker defends his title at mania and Miz cashes it in to win and get the rub from ending taker's streak. I like how random the mitb can be. I do agree that someone cashing it in to lose would be funny, but it would probably be to Cena. Just so wwe can once again show that Cena can overcome the odds

Supreme Olajuwon
02-14-2010, 04:32 PM
The best way IMO to do the build up is for the match to be in the MITB winner's hometown.

Perry Saturn
02-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Taker defends his title at mania and Miz cashes it in to win and get the rub from ending taker's streak. I like how random the mitb can be. I do agree that someone cashing it in to lose would be funny, but it would probably be to Cena. Just so wwe can once again show that Cena can overcome the odds

What would happen though is if the miz cashed it in on the undertaker and won is they make it like taker had his foot under the rope or something so his streak really wouldnt be broken

Triple Naitch
02-14-2010, 04:48 PM
Yeah, but it has to be in a big city. It won't be as hyped if the guy is from Norfolk, Virginia.

RatedGSuperstar
02-14-2010, 04:52 PM
The best way IMO to do the build up is for the match to be in the MITB winner's hometown.

I really thought this is where they were going with Punk last year at Judgment Day in Chicago, but they jobbed him out to Umaga instead (with that said, the way they did do it at Extreme Rules was a huge success, IMO).

But if someone like Christian won it this year and there was a date set for Toronto or something, it would be pretty cool.

Londoner
02-14-2010, 04:57 PM
Would fucking love it if Christian won MITB, he's favourite right now, imo. Compared to everyone else on the roster.

Rammsteinmad
02-14-2010, 05:10 PM
Here's a few scenarios I'd like to see:

1. Winner cashes it in the same night at Wrestlemania and wins.

2. Cashes in at some point and doesn't win.

3. Kinda like what mentioned above, the MITB winner also wins the Rumble. Using Rumble they challenge for WWE title (for example), then after winning, cashes in after World title match and steals that title. So either wins both belts. Or one. Or none. Something along this scenario would be good.

TrentDRUGFREE
02-14-2010, 05:52 PM
1. Winner cashes it in the same night at Wrestlemania and wins.

Just a thought, going by trends in wrestlemania booking history, if a heel goes over in the main event of a mania, I'd be fairly confident that a face mitb winner would cash in the title shot at the conclusion of the match and BAM....WWE would have another wrestlemania "moment" that they can replay for years to come.

Krimzon7
02-14-2010, 07:56 PM
I want to see Morrison Win, and Cash it in at WM.

VSG
02-14-2010, 08:16 PM
I envision a Christian victory, him going on to unify it at Backlash against the World champ at that time and hence moving to Smackdown!

Londoner
02-14-2010, 09:02 PM
I envision a Christian victory, him going on to unify it at Backlash against the World champ at that time and hence moving to Smackdown!

And we could have a triple threat match between edge/christian/and jericho for the title.:eek:

Mr. Pierre
02-14-2010, 09:30 PM
I thought that CM Punk had a chance to do the "challenge someone to a match" possibility last year. But, it turned out that he went heel and the storyline was perfect anyway.

If they wanted to keep him babyface though, I thought that it would have been interesting to see him stir up shit with Orton again, since Legacy was the one who costed Punk the Championship in the first place. During the promos between Orton and Punk, Orton says that no matter how many times he cashes in MITB and wins a title in sneak attack fashion, no one is going to treat him like a true Champion.

Then, a few weeks later, Orton is knocked out, Punk is about to cash in and win the belt, but he decides not to. Instead he cuts a promo about how he can easily take the Championship right now, but he would rather prove to himself that he can win the Championship in a one on one match, thus announcing that he's going to cash it in at Summerslam against Orton.

Now, I think this idea posted above can work with Christian. Lets say for example he wins MITB, and Edge is the WHC, but has since turned heel. Throughout the months, there are tons of Edge & Christian teases and promos, with Christian reminding Edge of his MITB and to keep an eye out for him. Then, Edge can say in response "Your entire career, you've always tried to match up with me and follow in my footsteps..Well, here's your chance to be just like me..Don't ruin it.."

Then, a few weeks later, Edge is knocked out, and Christian is about to cash in his briefcase, but says no. Because the last thing he wants to do is be like Edge, and instead he's going to be man about the briefcase and challenge Edge when he is 100% (at Summerslam possibly?).

Krimzon7
02-15-2010, 09:43 AM
You know, there's always the surprise entrant to the Royal Rumble... Why not have a surprise runout of some new comer, or returning star to just take the MITB case. There is usually one MEGA spot during the match... Why can't they have two three man spots to take out all the competitors and have someone like Hardy or some awesome returnign star come out, lay out one of the competitors and steal the case. Instant heat for the taker of the case, and a great built in story line to help build credibilty, if this guys a new comer.

Imagine AJ Styles jumping ship. he could do this feat, as he's recognizable enough to us. Then he could build some momentum by trouncing the other people in an arcing fued with six interchangable parts? Now I know that This wouldn't happen cuz Vinnie Mac would bury the shit out of any TNA signing, but just imagine this scenario. Any thoughts?

Anybody Thrilla
02-15-2010, 09:59 AM
I was scared Matt Hardy was gonna do that at Wrestlemania 24.

Krimzon7
02-15-2010, 10:11 AM
yeah, me too. all jokes aside, if he had....and this storyline was done properly, he could still be ME-ing off that ride.

Jeritron
02-15-2010, 10:50 AM
If Christian wins this year it would make a lot of sense for him to challenge Edge at a PPV in Toronto, if there is one.

Like RVD, it would be believable for him to do such a thing, rather than it coming off as foolishly throwing away the element of suprise.

Jeritron
02-15-2010, 10:52 AM
There are no upcoming PPVs in Toronto, or even Canada.

The only PPV this year without a location is The Bash in June. That would be nice, but I doubt they'd have it there.

Mr. Nerfect
02-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Well, now that it's not "The Great American Bash," they can do it anywhere they want. There are also episodes of RAW and SmackDown! to consider.

Christian is looking more and more like a favourite with the end of ECW, and Edge likely being World Heavyweight Champion after WrestleMania. One with a title and one with a briefcase could cause drama between the two. I don't think you can overlook guys like Kofi Kingston, John Morrison, The Miz and even R-Truth, though. It really depends on who enters the match. The MITB often has guys considered a popular prediction to win not even in the match.

If they had someone cash in the title shot on the same night, I would hope that it would be against The Undertaker. I think CM Punk would be awesome for this. But that's not likely to happen as Taker won't likely be the World Heavyweight Champion anymore. Although it would be cool if The Undertaker lost the SmackDown! Elimination Chamber, and then entered the RAW Chamber and won the WWE Title the same night he lost the World Heavyweight Title.

CM Punk could then shock everyone, and win MITB for the third year and row (shouldn't be a shock really), and then cash in after The Undertaker has defended his title successfully against Sheamus, or something. Punk cashes in, wins the WWE Title, ends Taker's streak in a way that makes The Undertaker still look strong, and Punk becomes a monster heel on RAW.

Mr. Nerfect
02-15-2010, 04:31 PM
They were trying that with Kennedy.

Look where that wound up. lol

Though I think Kennedy would have eventually put it up sooner.

Yeah, Kennedy said he was going to cash in at WrestleMania, but I don't think that was truthfully the plan. Smoke and mirrors for when he decided to cash it in on a random episode of SmackDown!.

NeanderCarl
02-15-2010, 05:34 PM
Well the whole reason he dropped it to Edge was because he got hurt, and he was due to take the strap from The Undertaker after the Batista cage match draw on SmackDown at the following day's taping (I think Taker was hurt and WWE didn't want the strap on Batista for some reason - maybe because it was too obvious). Kennedy got injured (the forecast was far worse than the eventuality), dropped the case to Edge, and Edge got the duke.

Kennedy's luck has really sucked, hasn't it? If things had gone to WWE's plans for him, he would currently be the main eventing former World champion son of Vince McMahon, instead of the tired crowd reaction black hole of TNA.

Fox
02-15-2010, 11:18 PM
I'd like to see Jericho win MITB and then win the World Heavyweight Title in a non-related title match. He then states that whoever takes the World Title from him will have the shortest reign of all time, because he will cash in MITB right then and there and take his belt back.

Instead, Jericho cashes in MITB on the WWE Champion and becomes the only 2-time Undisputed Champion in WWE history.

Theo Dious
02-15-2010, 11:21 PM
3. Kinda like what mentioned above, the MITB winner also wins the Rumble. Using Rumble they challenge for WWE title (for example), then after winning, cashes in after World title match and steals that title. So either wins both belts. Or one. Or none. Something along this scenario would be good.

I'd be more interested to see a guy lose a title match at Mania and use the MITB to force a restart.

Krimzon7
02-15-2010, 11:43 PM
I'd like to see Jericho win MITB and then win the World Heavyweight Title in a non-related title match. He then states that whoever takes the World Title from him will have the shortest reign of all time, because he will cash in MITB right then and there and take his belt back.

Instead, Jericho cashes in MITB on the WWE Champion and becomes the only 2-time Undisputed Champion in WWE history.

bada bing!

Mr. Nerfect
02-16-2010, 12:23 PM

That would be absolutely incredible. Even if they don't keep the titles together, then they could still have Jericho win both, call himself "Undisputed Champion" and defend the belts separately. And if they do decide to unify the championships, this would be the best way to do it, in my opinion.

Supreme Olajuwon
02-16-2010, 12:33 PM
You know who would be perfect for all these scenarios? Triple H. Think about it. The guy's at the stage in his career where nothing short of the completely absurd is going to hurt his rep. MITB has lacked star power in recent years and this would give the match a ton of credibility. He could do the build up because he's Triple H and does whatever he wants. And if he lost it would break the chain of successful cashing in without hurting the wrestler who loses.

Mr. Nerfect
02-16-2010, 12:54 PM
I think Shawn Michaels would be even better. Just because I like him better in Ladder Matches, and it would fit his current "close but no cigar" direction. I mean, can you imagine a MITB with a potential cast of the following:

CM Punk
Evan Bourne
John Morrison
Kane
Kofi Kingston
Rey Mysterio
Shawn Michaels
Shelton Benjamin

Supreme Olajuwon
02-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Well it would make perfect sense for Michaels to cash in that night at WM against Taker.

TrentDRUGFREE
02-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Well it would make perfect sense for Michaels to cash in that night at WM against Taker.
That would be epic to say the least, can't see Taker working two main events in one night though....especially with the notion attempting to live up to their last encounter hanging over their heads, even if it is wrestlemania.