PDA

View Full Version : WWE, TNA, ROH

Swiss Ultimate
02-17-2010, 04:35 PM
I have not been able to watch wrestling for a while now but, I'm still following it somewhat. Here are my impressions of the state of the business from your many many posts on the subject.

WWE: Despite changing Bryan Danielson's name for "no good reason", they are delivering above-average quality entertainment and setting up a truly amazing Wrestlemania. Edge is back and the new NXT show has unlimited potential for quality wrestling.

TNA: Instead of becoming the next big thing in professional wrestling, TNA has turned into a low-budget version of WCW 1999-2000. Hogan was over-hyped, Abyss has magic powers and Orlando Jordan went over Samoa Joe clean (the nation of dullness over the Nation of violence?).

ROH: Despite losing a lot of fans they continue to put on high-quality, high-work rate matches for a lot less pain than watching the alternatives.

So, give me your opinions about the three companies and "set me right". Am I completely off or right on target?

Jordan
02-17-2010, 05:24 PM
Your kinda right. There is a lot to look at and cover though. I was hot for TNA for a few months but now I am not down with the Hogan/Bischoff influence other than Orlando Jordan (whom I have been really impressed by in TNA). The addition of The Nasty Boys is a horrible idea, and having them go over Team 3-D is horrible. If anything they should have just been another notch on 3-D's belt.

Ric Flair adds absolutely nothing for me, and I think that most of the TV audience is saying the same thing they have said for nearly 15 or so years ... "He's still wrestling?"

Abyss is a great talent for TNA and yes your right he does work better as a heel for the TV audience, however he is really over in the Impact Zone so I think it evens out for him.

Pope is class, pure TNA, exactly the direction they need to go in. I am confused with Pope isn't a partner with Hogan seeing as he is the number one contender for AJ's title.

I think Hogan/Flair wrestling will be a good boost for TNA's ratings going up against Raw, but I am sure WWE will pull out a good show to nullify their debut.

So now to WWE.

Wow, WWE always has been up and down for me, back and forth. Yet, there is really no other show TNA or ROH or Dragon Gate.... that has the same importance as WWE, and it seems like that will never go away as long as they are around.

WWE is really heating up right now with some great angles like Legacy exploding, Sheamus rising to the top and dominating (which is actually starting to work IMO), The Straight Edge Society, Batista/Cena, NXT, Bret Hart/McMahon, and tons of other possiblities.

In reality TNA can't touch WWE right now, and they won't be able too until you turn on a TNA PPV and see 80,000 people in a stadium to see their homemade stars.

ROH is on a decline as far as I am concerned. I feel like it doesn't know what it wants to be, sometimes its very much like a 70's wrestling show with brutal realistic brawling styles matches with good submissions, and then there are the spot fests that made them famous, which they seem to be fading away from.

And yes I think that is a good idea, Dragon Gate seems to have taken that spot in the American indy scene. ROH still has the best indy roster out there, Richards, Generico, Castaganoli, Hero, Kingston, Edwards, King, Omega, Aries, Black, Briscoes... they are in good shape. However... something is lacking in the booking department, it seems to be a focus situation. Sometimes ROH books so slowly like WWF in the early 90's, and I do like that. However, it seems to me there may be a better way to capture the fans imagination than the recent Black/Aries blowoff and the fiasco time limit draw at Final Countdown 09.

I really wish for ROH that Pearce is released from head booker or quits and Cornette takes over and really takes ROH in a old school NWA style.

AngryMidjit
02-17-2010, 06:34 PM
less writing and storylines, more booking, simple fix. ROH seems to be doing this