TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   video games forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=109245)

DAMN iNATOR 12-27-2011 08:11 PM

If I figured out the leveling up correctly, if all the calculations I did, which I won't go into to much detail about, except for figuring that every 20 skill level improvements (any 1 or combination of any and/or all skills) = 1 character level, that should mean max level is 79.

Can anyone confirm this?

DAMN iNATOR 12-27-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Capitano Gatisto (Post 3713414)
I've been playing a fair bit but I'm not sure I even enjoy the actual gameplay that much...just getting stuff done, finding stuff, unlocking things. The combat is absolutely woeful, I really hoped they would have improved it from Oblivion, better than adding a few finishing moves anyway. At least bring in an element of timing and weight to the proceedings. Combat is always such a massive letdown in Bethesda games.

I have Conjuration levelled up to 100 and have Illia following me armed with several staffs I've passed on to her (Chain Lightning, Fireball, Dread Zombie and the Sanguine Rose) so most battles end pretty quickly when I summon a Dremora Lord.

Oh, boo-fucking-hoo! Why don't you count holes in your ceiling if you're so anti-fun?

Funky Fly 12-28-2011 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAMN iNATOR (Post 3714910)
If I figured out the leveling up correctly, if all the calculations I did, which I won't go into to much detail about, except for figuring that every 20 skill level improvements (any 1 or combination of any and/or all skills) = 1 character level, that should mean max level is 79.

Can anyone confirm this?

It's 81 apparently; some guy glitched his way there on youtube or some shit. This is third hand info tho.

James Diesel 12-28-2011 07:22 AM

I've seen several 81's so I'm gonna say 81

SlickyTrickyDamon 12-28-2011 07:31 AM

Happy just to have hit 50 to get the achievement. I've got a few more achievements to do but I screwed up on the Oblivion Walker and really don't want to walk around to all the stones.

I might start over to do the Deadric quests over. Really wish there was a mission-do-over thing. It's pretty weird to fail something in a game in this day and age and not be able to fix it. It seems like a pretty ancient concept.

SlickyTrickyDamon 12-28-2011 07:35 AM

I think it's as patched as it will get dude unless you're on a PS3. Simply run away from the trolls.

James Diesel 12-28-2011 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlickyTrickyDamon (Post 3715365)
Happy just to have hit 50 to get the achievement. I've got a few more achievements to do but I screwed up on the Oblivion Walker and really don't want to walk around to all the stones.

I might start over to do the Deadric quests over. Really wish there was a mission-do-over thing. It's pretty weird to fail something in a game in this day and age and not be able to fix it. It seems like a pretty ancient concept.

Did you try the Hircine Ring/Savior's Hide bug or has that ship sailed?

SlickyTrickyDamon 12-28-2011 10:18 AM

I already did all the quests just was too nice and didnt kill that guy in the library. The achievement should have been just to complete the quests. Getting the objects is overkill.

James Diesel 12-28-2011 10:33 AM

Yea luckily the first one I fucked up was killing that guy, so the bug helped even it out. Look it up FFR, even if you just want both of them

LoDownM 12-28-2011 12:15 PM

I'm pretty sure the achievement carries over from save to save. The quest to get Mehrunes Dagger was bugged for my sister, so she loaded up another save and got the achievement before she got all the artifacts.

El Capitano Gatisto 12-28-2011 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAMN iNATOR (Post 3714911)
Oh, boo-fucking-hoo! Why don't you count holes in your ceiling if you're so anti-fun?

I'm criticising the game, matey, that's what the thread is for. I'm heartily pro-fun which is why I'd like the combat to be a little more nuanced than just twatting each other and hoping you have enough potions to win. For a game with such a teeming world, I feel like sloppy aspects of gameplay let down all that hard work, it's unsatisfying.

Stealthing around is good but obviously that is better in Fallout since you can pop someone's head from miles away with a sniper rifle.

Kris P Lettus 12-28-2011 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Capitano Gatisto (Post 3715614)
Stealthing around is good but obviously that is better in Fallout since you can pop someone's head from miles away with a sniper rifle.

:y:

El Fangel 12-28-2011 03:39 PM

I agree with ECG, the combat is a bit underwhelming especially for a melee one on one. It's essentially.

Whack
Whack
Whack
Apply Poison
Whack
Whack
Drink Healing Potions
Whack

Fighting multiple enemies

Whack
Whack
Run
Heal
Pot Shot
Pot Shot
Repeat

The world itself is gorgeous but the combat leaves a lot to be desired.

And Stealthing in this as well is a bit meh, A arrow to the head with overdraw should deal 4x damage not 2x.

Requiem 12-28-2011 04:18 PM

Really, I don't see how the combat could have been different in a system that has skills that determine whether you succeed at a lot of things combat related. If they made it more contact based, I think it would have been too stiff and would have nullified a lot of the perks/skills.

Also, there are skills that increase the damage you do with your bow FA. Pretty sure there is one that makes it do x3 when stealthed.

Requiem 12-28-2011 04:22 PM

I find it to be fun. A well placed shield bash can mean a lot, and conserving stamina is a must (at my level, where I don't have fuck all stamina). Strong attack to break an enemy's guard, followed by a flurry of attacks.. a shout thrown in there maybe to catch the group on fire. Hell, even just starting off the fight with an arrow straight to the face before pulling out your weapons and going at it.

Dunno.. I mean yeah the combat is simple and there are only a couple things you can do with each weapon (which are different depending on what class of weapon it is), but there has always been a lot of variation in my fights. I've never been bored hacking away at someone, because you're only limited by how YOU play out the battle. Be more creative if you're bored. Find new ways to kill people.

El Capitano Gatisto 12-28-2011 05:44 PM

It's not boring, the variety is great, it's just not implemented very well. Combat lets the game down badly in my opinion. Aggroing bystanders or companions during combat is an absolute fucking nuisance too, it makes powerful spells problematic to use. I suppose its probably in contrast to playing Dark Souls for me where the combat is excellent.

Anyway, I usually conjure a Dremora Lord so most battles don't last very long. Ilia can conjure Dremora Lords with the Sanguine Rose too so it's normally overkill.

El Fangel 12-28-2011 08:38 PM

I went with the one-handed (waraxe) lineage in skills. I have two stamina based attacks and both of them are insanely devastating. One deals double critical damage and the other deals 1.5 I believe with a chance to decapitate.

Just seems like anything I match up against sans Giants, Mammoths and Dragons last 1-2 hits. I have the difficultly maxed as well and it doesn't make much difference.

I know there isn't much they could do with a skill based game like this in regards to combat. Just feels like its healing and tapping the right trigger alot. Lack of strategy is you will.

SlickyTrickyDamon 12-30-2011 12:37 AM

They seemed to make the game easier than Oblivion to get a bigger audience. In Oblivion the creatures leveled up with you. So even though you got better the creatures got better too.

So actually the easiest way to beat the game was to just to the main quest at the start. It's too bad they couldn't find a middle ground.

Captain of Fun 12-30-2011 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlickyTrickyDamon (Post 3716667)
They seemed to make the game easier than Oblivion to get a bigger audience. In Oblivion the creatures leveled up with you. So even though you got better the creatures got better too.

So actually the easiest way to beat the game was to just to the main quest at the start. It's too bad they couldn't find a middle ground.

From what I understand, people complained about the whole monsters leveling up with you thing.

I like the way it is now. Feels very satisfying to utterly butcher an enemy you ran away from like a little girl in the beginning of the game.

El Fangel 12-30-2011 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain of Fun (Post 3716793)
From what I understand, people complained about the whole monsters leveling up with you thing.

I like the way it is now. Feels very satisfying to utterly butcher an enemy you ran away from like a little girl in the beginning of the game.

The difference between level 1 and level 35, is getting mauled by a bear and stabbing it to death with a dagger while naked.

D Mac 12-30-2011 06:51 AM

You can't marry again if you murder your wife. :(

El Fangel 12-30-2011 07:42 AM

Yes I can.

Oh wait...you mean in the game.

Captain of Fun 12-30-2011 07:54 PM

Holy fuck, in the middle of a fight with a Frost Dragon, a blood dragon shows up.

Fucking hell, barely made it out of that one.

D Mac 12-30-2011 07:56 PM

Got my ass handed to me by an Elder Dragon, reloaded and a Frost Dragon showed up.

Kris P Lettus 01-02-2012 09:32 PM

http://i.imgur.com/3JNhq.jpg

Captain of Fun 01-03-2012 03:50 AM

God, daedric armor is so badass looking.

The Destroyer 01-03-2012 06:09 AM

Here we go again. Getting further into the game and discovering I suck against virtually any enemy the game cares to throw at me in the wilderness. It's Oblivion all over again.

D Mac 01-03-2012 06:36 AM

Hit level 40, just completed the Companions quests. No longer a werewolf.

Still have a long ways to go in the main quest.

D Mac 01-03-2012 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain of Fun (Post 3719962)
God, daedric armor is so badass looking.

Where are the best places to get Daedra Hearts?

The Mask 01-03-2012 11:04 AM

daedra chests

The Destroyer 01-03-2012 11:07 AM

Sick of getting murdered by bears. :'(

Captain of Fun 01-03-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D Mac (Post 3719984)

If you do the museum quest in Dawnstar, you are led to a shrine with a small room in it. There are two Dremora Lords there who respawn. Not sure how often they respawn. I would guess every two days, like shop stuff.

Anyway, it essentially gives you infinite daedra hearts.

Also, is the quickest way to level up enchanting to just smith a horde of iron daggers and enchant them?

And where can I find armor that fortifies blacksmithing as well as smithing potions.

El Capitano Gatisto 01-03-2012 12:05 PM

Yeah just keep smithing and enchanting iron daggers. Enchanting them makes you ultra-money and also levels up enchanting obviously. Learn a paralysis enchantment, as it seems to be the most valuable. Takes a while but it's worth it in the end with the smithing levelling also to make the best armour and be able to smith Daedric weapons. Re-charging items levels enchanting as well I think.

DAMN iNATOR 01-03-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Capitano Gatisto (Post 3715614)
I'm criticising the game, matey, that's what the thread is for. I'm heartily pro-fun which is why I'd like the combat to be a little more nuanced than just twatting each other and hoping you have enough potions to win. For a game with such a teeming world, I feel like sloppy aspects of gameplay let down all that hard work, it's unsatisfying.

You can still sneak around bandit dens and the like and use a bow and arrow to kill enemies...it's actually been a very common tactic for me to employ, and works great if you take the perk that grants 3.0x damage for sneak archery attacks, the perk which allows you to zoom in with the LT (on X360), and both levels of the perk that slows time when you zoom in. Sure you can't blow people's heads off their bodies, but that's OK.

For the record I wouldn't change the combat one bit if there was a TES VI game down the road. There's really nothing they could do to improve it over it was now, since they've basically cut out the "all characters in the game start at the same level as you and level up with you so they're harder to fight at higher levels" BS that was present in Morrowind and Oblivion.

El Capitano Gatisto 01-03-2012 12:35 PM

That's what I generally do as well, with my enchanted Daedric bow with a chance to paralyse enemies for 4 seconds. The zooming aim is good but the time-slowing perk I actually think makes it more difficult to hit enemies, I dislike it.

DAMN iNATOR 01-03-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Capitano Gatisto (Post 3720107)
That's what I generally do as well, with my enchanted Daedric bow with a chance to paralyse enemies for 4 seconds. The zooming aim is good but the time-slowing perk I actually think makes it more difficult to hit enemies, I dislike it.

Fair enough. I'm only at like level 51 or 52 archery right now, so even with the zoom-in perk, it's still a bitch for me to hit someone where the crosshair indicates it should hit. I can be aiming for someone's upper chest and when I let go, the arrow hits my victim right in the forehead. :lol::rofl:

Captain of Fun 01-03-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Capitano Gatisto (Post 3720107)

I agree. It would work better if time still slowed for a second after you let go, but since it doesn't you still have to lead your shot and judge where the enemy will be.

Still though, I really enjoy stealthing around with the bow, now that I've maxed out the skill and perks.

DAMN iNATOR 01-03-2012 01:43 PM

Yeah, the only annoying thing about slow time is that it depletes your stamina as you're standing there trying to control your breathing and aim at the same time.

The Mask 01-03-2012 02:48 PM

just went to get the ring back off baird's mam who i drunkenly asked to marry me and then ended up killing her with an axe stumbling upon a dragon. know that feel bro.

The Phenom 01-03-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D Mac (Post 3719984)

Go to Dagons Shrine there will be dremora there, kill them then leave and wait a couple days and return they will have respawned.