TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   entertainment forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Rate the last movie that you saw for the first time. (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=58112)

D Mac 03-08-2010 05:35 AM

Zombieland 9/10

Requiem 03-08-2010 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ct2k (Post 2969311)
If I didn't know a little more about English history than Mel Gibson, I'd probably have given it 8 or 9 out of 10.

It isn't supposed to be a historically accurate movie, nor did he ever claim it was. In fact, he has specifically said the movie was not supposed to be accurate, and is supposed to be just a 'cinematically compelling' film.

Which is what it is. You've got no eye for quality entertainment, and I will stand by those words all the way to my grave. :mad: Braveheart is quite possibly the only film whose honor I would ever defend to my death.

It is a story of epic proportions, which had incredible cinematography for when it was made. You expected a historically accurate film from a movie that you should have known would have very little. It's been out since fucking 1995.. and it's taken you this long to see it? Surely you knew something about it going into it.. It's fucking Braveheart. I realize you're not from the States.. but it's Braveheart.

Pretty baffled by this right now. What other movies do you like? This makes me think you have horrible taste in everything now, because it makes me think you watch movies for completely wrong reasons.

You do watch Comedies to laugh, right? You sound like someone who might watch them just to point out all the jokes that weren't funny.

ct2k 03-08-2010 01:38 PM

Honestly got no idea how I managed to last this long without seeing it tbh

ct2k 03-08-2010 02:05 PM

Also seriously stfu. It is a film about William Wallace, Robert the Bruce, Edward I and Edward II. Those were real people, very famous and important people in English and Scottish history. I feel perfectly entitled to expect some accuracy from it if it isn't a film based around a fictional character and events which are expressly stated as being fictional like say Gladiator. Jesus.

thedamndest 03-08-2010 02:20 PM

I tried to watch Braveheart when it first came to VHS. Fell asleep because I was 11 and started watching it at like 3:00 a.m. I have since discovered that Mel Gibson is beheaded so there is no need to watch the film.

Requiem 03-08-2010 02:49 PM

Horrible comparison to strengthen your 'point'. Gladiator had real people and real 'surrounding events' as well. No difference at all, except that the main character of Braveheart was a real person. In Gladiator, he killed fucking Caesar. A Caesar whose character was very much based on the real person he was portraying. Following a Caesar who was also a real person, at the end of a war that really happened. How is that not a historical inaccuracy in a movie with real people and real events?

The fact of the matter is... you expected historical accuracy out of a movie which you SHOULD have known had none, because it is from 19-freaking-95 and is a well known movie. It won countless awards, regardless of the inaccuracies, BECAUSE it wasn't touting itself as a history film. If you went into the movie thinking that it would be a historically accurate depiction of what happened, and not 'an epic tale of revenge and romance', then you deserve to be disappointed by it.

ct2k 03-08-2010 03:14 PM

Gladiator was a film about a guy who never existed, spliced into a period of 'real' history. Braveheart is a film about a guy who did exist, only the historical events and characters have been doctored, it really isn't the same thing at all.

ct2k 03-08-2010 03:16 PM

Anyway why the hell are we even arguing about this. I like the damn film, I just wasn't inspired to go and kill Englishmen because of it.

Requiem 03-08-2010 04:30 PM

We are arguing because anything less than a 9/10 is insulting to the quality of this film. It should only lose 1 point at most for the imperfections such as historical inaccuracies, because besides that, the movie is a shining example of what a film should be.

Requiem 03-08-2010 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ct2k (Post 2970562)
Gladiator was a film about a guy who never existed, spliced into a period of 'real' history. Braveheart is a film about a guy who did exist, only the historical events and characters have been doctored, it really isn't the same thing at all.

And what.. because it alters history with a fake character as opposed to altering history with a real character, it is somehow different?

The comparisons are the exact same premise, simply one MAIN character is real, and the other is not. The surrounding cast of each were all real people as well, as were the events/world surrounding the things that happened in each.

The Franchise 03-08-2010 04:49 PM

Alice In Wonderland - 8/10

Johnny Depp is awesome as Mad hatter and all but its not as amazing as some people are saying it is. Still a movie that is worth seeing especially in 3D.

Droford 03-08-2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loose Cannon (Post 2969246)
The Box: 6/10

I enjoyed it, but honestly, I never understood what this whole thing was about. Anybody care to explain. Like it was a good thriller, but I was just waiting and waiting to go... "oh, I see now" and yea, that never happened. Like I understood the whole box thing was a
SPOILER: show
test and everything
but for what???

Its based on a Twilight Zone Episode (Button, Button) which was based on a short story. Never read the short story but the Twilight Zone ep is awesome.

XL 03-08-2010 05:32 PM

The Crazies - 4/10

Zelda 03-08-2010 08:53 PM

Like = http://pages.infinit.net/zelda/linkdeboutnoir.jpg
Don't like = http://pages.infinit.net/zelda/linkcouchenoir.jpg

A Serious Manhttp://pages.infinit.net/zelda/linkdeboutnoir.jpg

Fantastic Mr. Fox http://pages.infinit.net/zelda/linkdeboutnoir.jpg

Triple Naitch 03-08-2010 09:35 PM

Alice in Wonderland - 6/10 Really underwhelmed by this movie. If it weren't for 3D or IMAX this would be a huge bust.

Zombieland - 8/10 I liked the format of the movie, but the ending didn't do much for me.

OssMan 03-09-2010 12:45 AM

300 is historically inaccurate too http://pages.infinit.net/zelda/linkcouchenoir.jpg

ct2k 03-09-2010 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 2970635)
And what.. because it alters history with a fake character as opposed to altering history with a real character, it is somehow different?

The comparisons are the exact same premise, simply one MAIN character is real, and the other is not. The surrounding cast of each were all real people as well, as were the events/world surrounding the things that happened in each.

Aurelius, Commodus and Lucilla were all real. As far as I am aware everyone and everything else in Gladiator is a composite of a huge array of people, places, events and entirely made up facts which have been put together in order to create a fictional story which only vaguely pertains to any real chain of events, if any, and is in no way a representation of history 'as it happened'. That is why I see a distinction.

Now seriously, can you get over me not wanting to stick my tongue in Mel Gibson's anus?

ClockShot 03-09-2010 04:43 PM

The Boondock Saints 2: All Saints Day - 3.5/5

For a sequel to a cult classic, it wasn't that bad. But I think Duffy had some shitty microphones on hand. I was adjusting my volume every few minutes. That or my TV is on the fritz.

thedamndest 03-09-2010 07:41 PM

The Hurt Locker - I don't think I hated this as much as Triple A did, but it was pretty bad. Felt completely unrealistic and I did not care about the main character at all. Would rather have watched Lethal Weapon again. 4/10.

Loose Cannon 03-09-2010 10:11 PM

With Alice and Wonderland, you should know if you're going to like it or not. I'm assuming it's the same exact story as the original, correct? It's my fav Disney movie next to Aladin

thedamndest 03-09-2010 10:14 PM

It's not the same story. Alice returns to Wonderland in this. I'm guessing Burton did this to make it more Johnny Depp-centric. Haven't seen it though so I don't know if that is correct.

Loose Cannon 03-09-2010 10:16 PM

ah, nevermind then.

Gonzo 03-09-2010 10:24 PM

50 Dead Men Walking

8/10

Downunder 03-10-2010 04:56 AM

The Hurt Locker

8/10

Best picture - I dunno, but it was a hell of a lot more deserving than Avatar.

I liked it, good atmosphere.

ClockShot 03-10-2010 09:58 AM

Ninja - 1/5

Yeah, don't ask.

PorkSoda 03-11-2010 04:22 PM

I saw a screening of Hot Tub Time Machine last night.

I'll give it 7/10.

Glory - 10/10. I finished watching this the other day. It was good....great maybe?
Wake of Death - 3/10
Until Death - 7/10. Two Van Damme movies. Jean Claude Van DAMNIT!

Triple Naitch 03-11-2010 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedamndest (Post 2972806)
It's not the same story. Alice returns to Wonderland in this. I'm guessing Burton did this to make it more Johnny Depp-centric. Haven't seen it though so I don't know if that is correct.

You are correct.

ct2k 03-11-2010 07:02 PM

Green Zone - 7.5/10

Gonna re-watch Braveheart over the weekend btw Requim, watch this space;)

Downunder 03-11-2010 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PorkSoda (Post 2975381)
Glory - 10/10. I finished watching this the other day. It was good....great maybe?

Wouldn't a perfect score indicate that it is the perfect movie and therefore great, possibly the greatest of all time?

Loose Cannon 03-11-2010 11:10 PM

Where the Wild Things are: 9/10 :love:

Zelda 03-12-2010 11:28 AM

Visioneers http://pages.infinit.net/zelda/linkcouchenoir.jpg

I was expecting something so much better. So boring.

BigDaddyCool 03-12-2010 11:33 AM

Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull: 3 out of 5 stars. Ok, not great. If you just watch for fun, it is a decent rental.

Schlomey 03-12-2010 06:30 PM

I truly thought the new Indiana Jones was shite. Sad really.

Jeritron 03-13-2010 02:16 AM

On it's worst day it couldn't be nearly as sad as 99% of modern action movies. Honestly thought it was just about what it should be. Indiana Jones movies are supposed to be pulp fun. I wouldn't put it on par with Raiders or Last Crusade, but it was as good as Temple Of Doom.

IMHO, personally anyways, in my view, that's just my 2 cents

Downunder 03-13-2010 06:59 PM

Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire

9/10

ClockShot 03-13-2010 08:59 PM

The Box - 2.5/5

Triple A 03-14-2010 03:54 AM

Revolutionary Road: 9/10
Really <3d this. Way better than I expected it to be.

Ajami: 8/10
Palestinian movie. Kinda like a Palestinian Pulp Fiction. Got nominated for Best Foreign Film this year at the Oscars. This was pretty great. Like intertwining stories and kinda "action packed."

Wholphin #9: 8/10
DVD of short films... some quick "shorts" by Spike Jonze that kinda sucked, and some other amazing stuff like some documentary about a beauty pageant in a Columbian women's prison, some animation where this guy is hit by a meteor then his body is moved 91 centimeters away from everything he comes in contact with, and a bunch of other "sweet shit"

<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=6913172&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=6913172&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object>

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans: 7/10
Pretty great. Love Nic Cage in "crazy weirdo" roles.

I Love You, Man: 6/10
Pretty good. Started off "hilarious" then kinda started to not like it at all towards the end.

Heathers: 6/10
Pretty entertaining I guess. Saw it on TV and kept watching it.

Up in the Air: 5/10
There was so much I liked about this movie but then so much I fucking hated. So it evens out to a 5/10 I guess.

Triple A 03-14-2010 03:54 AM

Revolutionary Road: 9/10
Really <3d this. Way better than I expected it to be.

Ajami: 8/10
Palestinian movie. Kinda like a Palestinian Pulp Fiction (not at all though). Got nominated for Best Foreign Film this year at the Oscars. This was pretty great.

Wholphin #9: 8/10
DVD of short films... some quick "shorts" by Spike Jonze that kinda sucked, and some other amazing stuff like some documentary about a beauty pageant in a Columbian women's prison, some animation where this guy is hit by a meteor then his body is moved 91 centimeters away from everything on earth, and a bunch of other "sweet shit"

<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=6913172&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=6913172&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object>

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans: 7/10
Pretty great. Love Nic Cage in "crazy weirdo" roles.

I Love You, Man: 6/10
Pretty good. Started off "hilarious" then kinda started to not like it at all towards the end.

Heathers: 6/10
Pretty entertaining I guess. Saw it on TV and kept watching it.

Up in the Air: 5/10
There was so much I liked about this movie but then so much I fucking hated. So it evens out to a 5/10 I guess.

wwe2222 03-14-2010 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeritron (Post 2977369)
On it's worst day it couldn't be nearly as sad as 99% of modern action movies. Honestly thought it was just about what it should be. Indiana Jones movies are supposed to be pulp fun. I wouldn't put it on par with Raiders or Last Crusade, but it was as good as Temple Of Doom.

IMHO, personally anyways, in my view, that's just my 2 cents

if you look past the fridge bit, shia, and the swinging monkeys I actually enjoyed it. There are still alot of decent parts in it.

PorkSoda 03-14-2010 06:15 PM

Unforgiven - 10/10.
Double Impact - 7/10. Van Damme is awesome. I also can do splits thanks to karate....I can do them reaaaaaly well.
Karate Kid Part III - 9/10.
Freeway - Uhh.....Reese Witherspoon did a good performance....and I did like it....it was just fucked up. I'll give it a Fucked Up/10.