TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   video games forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Octopath Traveler (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=135074)

road doggy dogg 07-30-2018 11:33 AM

I like a lot of it, but ya everything about H'aanit's dialogue is just so fucking bad. I find a lot of the Chapter 1 stuff is kinda meh but once I've gotten to Chapter 2 on a lot of the characters the dialogue has improved a lot.

Fignuts 07-30-2018 02:30 PM

Is the free prologue its own separate thing, or is it part of the full release?

Destor 07-30-2018 03:42 PM

The 2nd demo is 3 hours of play of the full game with no restrictions other than the time before it locks you out. Save carriers over.

Ruien 07-30-2018 09:10 PM

Finished all of chapter 4. Rankings below for stories.

SPOILER: show

Olberic by far. Felt epic.
Primrose. Was done beautifully
Ophelia. Cant believe this made my top 3 but it stopped up big time in chapter 3 and 4.
Cyrus. Was well done and each chapter worked well together.
Haanit. same as Cyrus.
Therion. Last 2 chapter were good but not enough to save the entire story.
Tressa and Aly are both bad so they can share the last spot.

Ruien 07-30-2018 09:17 PM

Overall the game is amazing. Disliked a chunk of the dialogue though. only major complaint is having the silent heroes. Major drawback from having 8 different stories.

Maybe next game they can have duo chapters after chapter 1 or something. Like Cyrus and Olberic would be chapter 2 and Cyrus and Therion would be chapter 3.

Loved the extra dungeons legit being extra. you could easily skip them if you wanted. Combat was awesome. Extra shrine fights were legit. Side quests were unique for the most part. they never seemed repetitive.

9/10. Its awesome when you have to look hard to find flaws in a game.

Ultra Mantis 07-30-2018 10:43 PM

Ophilia's Ch4 boss is absolute fucking bullshit. Can't even leave town to get better gear, going to have to walk all the way back through this cave to change my party I guess. What a waste of an hour. Ugh.

Destor 07-31-2018 12:51 AM

just beat an optional boss that took me 2 hours and like 200k plus all my best items.

Forrest of no return lvl 48

what a fucking fight. haanit is lvl 56 apoc. cyrus is lvl 46 merchant. prim is lvl 46 scholar. tressa is lvl 46 cleric.

first few goes the raw damage im taking is just too much. i cant dish out dps fast enough to deplete this 300k hp and his weaknesses change 3 times after you break him so im learning patterns as i get wrecked.

so around the 3rd or 4th death i figure that since i have cleric job with me i can teach everyone saving grace and since i hace merchant maxed on everyone second chance too.

so once someone falls i use the large revive item for an over heal of 9,999 which lets me tank the damage.

in most cases thats a GG. but his third phase only has 2 weaknesses. swords and light. i have light but my only sword is merchants hire help...so i do. id break him with the 150g summon and once broke dish max bp with the 30k summon.

my non merchants are dealing light and wind damage (wind for the adds) with items until i literally ran out

did the job but i fucking earned that win.

most fun ive had in a game since persona.

Destor 07-31-2018 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultra Mantis (Post 5152989)
Ophilia's Ch4 boss is absolute fucking bullshit. Can't even leave town to get better gear, going to have to walk all the way back through this cave to change my party I guess. What a waste of an hour. Ugh.

bull shit rng or just powerful?

Ultra Mantis 07-31-2018 06:19 AM

Multi-turn AOE magic, LV50 backup summons including 2x elementals, break immunity, seals magic, full party unconscious, four turn speed / magic / atk / def buff as one move. He's WAY more powerful than the enemies in his dungeon. Struggled against him for 45 mins, got him in red and then he did his ult, got 2 free turns on me and all I could do was watch him and his backup fuck my team.

Destor 07-31-2018 10:32 AM

that sounds really awesome not gonna lie

Ultra Mantis 07-31-2018 11:21 AM

Haven't been railed that hard by a boss since SMT Nocturne.

Destor 07-31-2018 01:13 PM

Go to the forest of no return in Victor's Hollow. I need a metric to judge this by :lol:

Ruien 07-31-2018 02:22 PM

What I noticed for most bosses.

It seems the longer the fight the more powerful the boss becomes for the longer boss fights.

For the ones who dont have much health hit hard and fast. Need to break them asap.

Destor 07-31-2018 02:44 PM

Absolutely true. Giving a boss time is deadly especially if you're even a few levels below the recommended level. I. FUCKING. LOVE IT.

Ruien 07-31-2018 06:03 PM

Ya. The Warmaster was omg. I figured I was fine because Olberic would out heal his damage. Give that boss enough turns and it is good game.

Ultra Mantis 08-01-2018 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destor (Post 5153186)
Go to the forest of no return in Victor's Hollow. I need a metric to judge this by :lol:

Haha I will when (if?) I beat him, haven't had the time to go on since until right now. Think I'm going to need to go back to the tavern for Prim to stand any chance here.

Ultra Mantis 08-01-2018 05:15 PM

Oh I can fast travel again now so that's not as bad as I thought.

Ultra Mantis 08-01-2018 06:04 PM

Tracked down some of those high end weapons and bought them outright, because I am rich now. Prim is doing good damage again, Olberic has a cursed sword so hopefully he doesn't buff the boss. Taught Olberic and Alfyn the SP regen dancer passive to help with sustain. Equiped some resistance gear to the elements I'm going to have thrown at me. Yep, ready to get my ass kicked again.

Destor 08-01-2018 06:57 PM

Thats the sign of a great job based rpg right there

Ultra Mantis 08-01-2018 09:23 PM

Managed to turn the tables on him and pretty much squash him. Prim is so much better than Cyrus, her speed was crucial to getting turns in before he had a chance to put his guard up and throw all his shit at me. Dbl Blk via Ophilia + Alfyn's concoct gave me some fast breaks, and the extra summon I had covered my lack of bows. Such a satisfying victory.

I'm at the forest of no return boss right now, switched my shitty Cyrus back in to get a more fair comparison.

Destor 08-01-2018 09:24 PM

prim is my primary black mage too. she's really outstanding. plus she can the jp/xp farm if youre feeling grindy

Ultra Mantis 08-01-2018 09:50 PM

Forest boss is harder, purely for the Spirited Away gimmick & switching weakness. It took three of my team and then triple teamed the last one, no way of surviving that. At least it was quick about it. :lol:. If I could get rid of the minions I think I could take him. Prim over Cyrus though of course.

Destor 08-01-2018 09:53 PM

i found it really difficult. my spoiler up there details the lengths i went to to beat him...it was great.

Ultra Mantis 08-01-2018 09:58 PM

Haha think I'm gonna swap out Olberic for H'aanit, Cyrus for Prim and then give it another shot. H'aanit's roster is probably empty right now though.

Destor 08-01-2018 10:13 PM

just make sure to bring a sword

Destor 08-01-2018 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultra Mantis (Post 5149464)
Decided to clear out some of the caves and side quests before going on to Chapter 3, was doing great stomping everything... and then I went in Undertow Cave near Rippletown. I am terrified.

gonna tackle this

Ruien 08-01-2018 10:53 PM

Ya..... just found a boss who wrecked the living shit out of my team. Somewhat my fault for not having Saving Grace on Haanit but I still got butt fucked. Was the first boss since chapter 3 that I got wrecked like this. Love this game. Sad I am almost done :(

Destor 08-01-2018 11:04 PM

its so rare to get a good jrpg...but i really think theres going to be more in the next few years

Ruien 08-01-2018 11:13 PM

100% there will be. This game is selling like hot cakes.

If we can end up getting 2 or 3 per year I will be set.

Really need go check out this Brave Default or whatever game I keep hearing about with Octopath too.

Ruien 08-01-2018 11:14 PM

Well nevermind it is a 3ds game.

Destor 08-01-2018 11:39 PM

bravely is by the same team. ill get it i think at some point

Destor 08-01-2018 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destor (Post 5153874)
gonna tackle this

no boss in here. area by a chest that usually means non-sidequest related boss fight but there was none. odd

Ruien 08-02-2018 07:47 AM

I thought the same thing.

Ultra Mantis 08-02-2018 01:00 PM

Fuck, Devourer of Men in the Forest of No Return is a real bastard.

Prim wasn't really much use at all since none of her elemental magic really comes into play, went full Physical, took out his backup one at a time, slowly but steadily blasted away at his massive health pool. Was coasting to an easy win, then he calls for more help and I'm out of large Olives. Kept docusing on the big guy and got him down to red but I just wasn't hitting hard enough to take him out in time. Wiped me. Five star match. But I lost.

Ultra Mantis 08-02-2018 01:01 PM

Gonna try a new Ch4 instead and hope the boss there doesn't annihilate me.

Destor 08-02-2018 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultra Mantis (Post 5154017)
Fuck, Devourer of Men in the Forest of No Return is a real bastard.

Prim wasn't really much use at all since none of her elemental magic really comes into play, went full Physical, took out his backup one at a time, slowly but steadily blasted away at his massive health pool. Was coasting to an easy win, then he calls for more help and I'm out of large Olives. Kept docusing on the big guy and got him down to red but I just wasn't hitting hard enough to take him out in time. Wiped me. Five star match. But I lost.

The use i got from prim was little too...left her dead on the floor for the last dozen or so rounds lol

Destor 08-02-2018 02:48 PM

She waa using items too i guess.

Ultra Mantis 08-02-2018 06:21 PM

Thinking of going H'aanit w/ Merchant next time I try it, the wind coverage and extra AOE sword skill would really help.

Ultra Mantis 08-02-2018 06:36 PM

Finished Cyrus Ch4. Really good stuff, nice change from getting plowed.

(Contains Ophilia Ch4 spoilers too)

There is a definite link between these stories, the power of the sealed god plays a huge part in both of the Ch4s I've completed. Mathias was even drawing from it directly. This leads me to believe there is an end game bringing the whole group together to stop the dark god breaking free of his seal. Interested to see if this theme appears in the other six Ch4s. Hornburg keeps coming up with Cyrus too so going to assume Olberic is involved, the Therion dragonstone plot seems to allude to it too. Prim could easily head in that direction. Alfyn, Tressa and H'aanit on the other hand remain a mystery.

Destor 08-02-2018 08:18 PM

I didnt even think of using her cat summon for sword...damn it