TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   entertainment forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   BRIGHT (2017) Will Smith Netflix original (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=133693)

slik 07-20-2017 11:08 PM

BRIGHT (2017) Will Smith Netflix original

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6EZCBSsBxko" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sixx 07-21-2017 10:21 AM

Alright, his stupid kid isn't in this, so I might check it out.

slik 12-24-2017 03:19 AM

It's horrible. It starts good. The first half is good I would say.
The second half is the worst thing is so bad I'm almost at a loss. I understand the 'worst film of the year' reviews now.

Kalyx triaD 12-24-2017 07:19 PM

The movie goes in a lot of different directions, obviously world building like mad. There's potential for this universe but they gotta choose a plot and stick to it. I'd like to know more about the Elven ruling class and how they avoided scorne with who was basically Super Hitler was an elf. I'll give the sequel a chance, I'm interested in this universe. But it needs a new director.

Blonde Moment 12-24-2017 07:56 PM

isn't there a TV show in development?

Kalyx triaD 12-24-2017 08:02 PM

I don't know. Only heard about a sequel already greenlit. I could totally see a tv show tho.

Ezra 12-24-2017 08:04 PM

TV show would have been a much better way to do it but they wouldn't have been able to lock down big Willy time if it was done in a tv series format.

Has Netflix released any numbers yet? This is supposed to be their equivalent of a Hollywood summer blockbuster.

Kalyx triaD 12-24-2017 08:12 PM

Pfft Netflix never releases numbers of views. People openly wondered how Netflix actually gauges success. Views, ratings, reviews, some algorithm detecting view/new account correlation, who knows. It's probably as simple as overall views.

Ruien 12-24-2017 09:15 PM

Movie was okay. Was worth my time watching it. Obviously not worth going to the theaters.

Tom Guycott 12-24-2017 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalyx triaD (Post 5062682)
The movie goes in a lot of different directions, obviously world building like mad. There's potential for this universe but they gotta choose a plot and stick to it. I'd like to know more about the Elven ruling class and how they avoided scorne with who was basically Super Hitler was an elf. I'll give the sequel a chance, I'm interested in this universe. But it needs a new director.

Not so sure about needing a new director, but it seems like this should have at least been a miniseries instead of a movie.

I liked it, but it felt like they tried to shove too much information into the film, but still keep it under two hours. A few times, there seemed like some context missing in the form of a deleted scene. I remember seeing a doc about the BBC Sherlock series, and the original intent was for each episode to only be an hour, but that didn't quite work. This seemed like that: trying to not make it as long as any of the "Rings" movies took out some of the meat of the story.

SPOILER: show
Like don't know if I needed this, but put it in tags anyway - Will's wife and daughter... methinks they're an elf/half elf respectively. They both always have their ears covered with hair. It seemed like something that was going to be touched on to hit another beat of this world's race relations, but got squeezed out for time. Same with the fairy fight at the beginning; like there was going to be some subplot about them being a huge menace, but again, "unimportant". Same with that elf fed being fairly sinister even at the end. He seemed like a plot twist in and of himself that didn't happen. There was more, but those were what just jumped into my head right now.

Tom Guycott 12-24-2017 11:06 PM

Also, my brain can finally divorce the trailer for this from thinking a Shadowrun flick is about to drop.

Kalyx triaD 12-25-2017 03:02 AM

Well that's what I meant by the film going a bunch of places aimlessly. It's overload. It could have been this buddy cop thing and had that orc kingpin the main villain all the way. But we got Agents of Magic SHIELD, and two secret factions on top of the orc tribe (tribes? Wasn't clear).

Too much world building for one movie.

Sepholio 12-25-2017 05:46 AM

indiewire review had one of the best lines I've ever seen in a movie review:

There's boring, there's bad, and then there's “Bright,” a movie so profoundly awful that Republicans will probably try to pass it into law over Christmas break.

Def gotta watch this after reading that.

Crimson 12-25-2017 09:16 AM

Agree with above comments of the movie starting off good, then kinda shitting all over the place in the 2nd half. Could have been much better, and yea a mini series would have been a better direction. I was interested in their stories, is there another movie/show that had a similar world to this?

Black Widow 12-25-2017 12:21 PM

Zootopia was better

Kalyx triaD 12-25-2017 01:30 PM

Actually Shadowrun had a similar gimmick for decades now, but no show or movie really went ham with it like Bright so far.

KIRA 12-25-2017 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalyx triaD (Post 5062682)

So this was just okay like you said I feel like there is this massive unexplored world they only hinted at a larger scope in this one

Friend and I felt they were dropping too many anvils though(some were good) but some were kinda overdone

Tom Guycott 12-25-2017 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalyx triaD (Post 5062806)
Well that's what I meant by the film going a bunch of places aimlessly. It's overload. It could have been this buddy cop thing and had that orc kingpin the main villain all the way. But we got Agents of Magic SHIELD, and two secret factions on top of the orc tribe (tribes? Wasn't clear).

Too much world building for one movie.

Yeah. Just not sure if pinning that on the director might have been a fair assessment. There may have been pressure somewhere to cut the time down for one arbitrary reason or another.

Unless there is definitely a sequel coming, you're right: "too much world building for one movie." And even then, it should've just been a miniseries or at least a longer damned movie. Even another 30 minutes or so could have ironed out some of the wrinkles.

Doesn't make it a bad movie, though. I don't regret watching it, and if there is more coming, I'll be in that line.

Kalyx triaD 12-25-2017 11:35 PM

The sequel is already a go, btw.

Frank Drebin 12-26-2017 12:06 AM

There were no gay or Trans orcs so this movie should be pulled from Netflix immediately for being part of the war on Christmas.