TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   wrestling forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Wrestling Fans: Do you watch sports? (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=137327)

Bad News Gertner 07-31-2020 09:24 AM

Wrestling Fans: Do you watch sports?

I mentioned this in another thread, but I've heard here and there that wrestling fans don't watch sports. Just curious to see what the response is here.

Ol Dirty Dastard 07-31-2020 09:26 AM

I don't watch current wrestling that much.

I'd say I watch older wrestling MORE than regular sports, but enjoy regular sports and try keep up with what's happening as much as possible. I definitely prefer when my teams are playing meaningful games (aka Raptors Championship run and Blue Jays playoff push) more than watching pretty much any wrestling ever. But classic wrestling is easily digestible content, whereas random regular season sports can be kind of boring.

Also, when I'm "in the mode," rugby - even in the regular season - is fun. Because it's sort of like football where every game counts.

Evil Vito 07-31-2020 09:26 AM

I watch baseball, football, and some hockey. Don’t really care about basketball outside of the NCAA tournament.

Bad News Gertner 07-31-2020 09:49 AM

I watch a ton of classic wrestling and in would consider myself to be a sports junkie. Basketball, Football and especially Baseball. Hockey used to be my #1, but I got bored with the game

screech 07-31-2020 09:55 AM

Yup. Love baseball. I got into the NFL more over the last few years, still trying to follow the NBA and NHL outside of the playoffs - but I do enjoy watching both.

Also I love the Olympics and am so bummed out that they aren't happening this year.

Bad News Gertner 07-31-2020 10:07 AM

I agree. Love the Olympics.

Savio 07-31-2020 10:43 AM

College BBall and NFL. Stopped watching wrestling.

Jordan 07-31-2020 11:22 AM

I like MMA but that's it, so no.

mike adamle 07-31-2020 12:17 PM

Big college basketball and college football fan. I'm like Dale in the sense that I'm not that into pro sports unless my team (any Chicago team except White Sox) is in the playoffs

Triple A 07-31-2020 12:45 PM

Yeah, used to be "very" into the NFL, NBA and MLB... not that much in the past few years though... still the NFL mostly, some NBA... no MLB anymore

Seanny One Ball 07-31-2020 01:23 PM

I don't watch sports, I read or watch documentaries about them.
When Scotland is your home there really is no sport capable of bringing you any real joy. I haven't watched football for ten years or UFC for about five.

Seanny One Ball 07-31-2020 01:24 PM

I do watch the occasional boxing match still but it's very rarely.

Emperor Smeat 07-31-2020 01:40 PM

Yes. Mostly the major pro sports plus college basketball. Used to be more into college football but the whole SEC always getting a guaranteed spot in the title game and BCS doing their best to ensure things stayed rigged for the big conferences soured me a lot on it.

In regards to the idea that wrestling fans are not sports fans, I'd assume its either due to wrestling being withered down to mostly hardcore fans these days or they probably lean a lot more towards MMA and boxing for sports since that is covered by most of the major sheets places.

Bad News Gertner 07-31-2020 01:53 PM

I think this forum is a bit different compared to other forums. We've never really been a "Hardcore Smark" website. Way more Casual than Hardcore.

screech 07-31-2020 01:55 PM

Oddly enough, I was on a guitar forum in like 2005 that had a wrestling thread full of hardcore smarks. I think I posted in there three times. It was brutal.

Black Widow 07-31-2020 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baron Von Gertner (Post 5362864)
I think this forum is a bit different compared to other forums. We've never really been a "Hardcore Smark" website. Way more Casual than Hardcore.

And not nearly as PC as the others ive looked at.

Black Widow 07-31-2020 01:58 PM

Baseball: McGwire vs Sosa that interested me but since then don't care much but do keep up with how the Braves do.

NFL: Watch a few Falcons games during the season but not all.

NBA:Played basketball in 9th/10th grade and is the sport i follow most.

Bad News Gertner 07-31-2020 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Widow (Post 5362866)
And not nearly as PC as the others ive looked at.

We also aren't like dissecting New Japan matches from 2005. Definitely not as hardcore.

Emperor Smeat 07-31-2020 02:46 PM

Quote:

Yeah, usually find the opposite more with promotion or wrestling specific forums and sites like TNAMecca when it was around.

Was also going to mention SquaredCircle since its the biggest wrestling community but they seem to be more of a mix than lean in either solid direction.

ClockShot 07-31-2020 03:09 PM

Yeah. Baseball, Football, a little bit of Hockey. When the Knicks become relevant and I can take the invisible paper bag off my head, I'll watch basketball.

Fignuts 07-31-2020 05:10 PM

NFL and Hockey.

Not so much Hockey anymore, since they phased out enforcers. Like I get why they did it, but watching Sidney Crosby be a total prick fuckboy all game long isn't fun for me.

Seanny One Ball 07-31-2020 05:16 PM

Quote:

Our snarks are hardcore though, no fuckin doubt

Fignuts 07-31-2020 05:26 PM

Casual Smarks is how I would describe TPWW.

Lock Jaw 07-31-2020 06:47 PM

Watch like zero rassling these days, including old stuff.

Never been big into other sports.... mainly when they are "games that matter" and involve the Jays or Raptors...... I would also maybe throw on regular season Jays/Raptors games in the background (but less so when they are doing bad).....

Despite being Canadian not a huge hockey guy outside of the Olympics and other international tourneys

Bad News Gertner 07-31-2020 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts (Post 5362929)
NFL and Hockey.

Not so much Hockey anymore, since they phased out enforcers. Like I get why they did it, but watching Sidney Crosby be a total prick fuckboy all game long isn't fun for me.

Lol Newstead can attest to this: I've been saying this for years now. Fuck this pussy ass league

Bad News Gertner 07-31-2020 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts (Post 5362934)
Casual Smarks is how I would describe TPWW.

Well said

xrodmuc316 08-01-2020 10:27 PM

NFL and occasionally will still check out the big Boxing and MMA fights. NBA during the playoffs, haven't watched a full baseball since 2016.

drave 08-03-2020 01:03 PM

MMA, hockey and US Football.

REEEEALLLLY scaled back on hockey lately for similar reasons that Figunuts said. Didn't think it would be "that impactful" but it really was/is.

BigCrippyZ 08-03-2020 11:04 PM

1. College football, 2a. NHL, and 2b. NFL are my big 3 that I'll always watch over almost anything else. March Madness is probably my next favorite, followed by the World Series and the NBA playoffs when they're good.