TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   entertainment forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Cloverfield Paradox (Spoilers within) (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=134559)

rez 02-05-2018 07:56 PM

The Cloverfield Paradox (Spoilers within)

I thought it was decent. It def had its flaws but overall enjoyed it. Big fan of its predecessors.

The movie critics seem a little jaded they didn't get their preferential early viewings...had to see it at the same time as us schmucks.

SlickyTrickyDamon 02-05-2018 08:21 PM

Looks like it's a stinker on Rotten Tomatoes

RP 02-05-2018 09:13 PM

I thought it was pretty good. They didnt go deep on the paradox stuff which could have really made this movie difficult. Good Sci fy movie. On par with the prometheus/ Alien that just came out.

Shisen Kopf 02-05-2018 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlickyTrickyDamon (Post 5082378)
Looks like it's a stinker on Rotten Tomatoes

Solo loolks like it's gonna be a stinker

Frank Drebin 02-05-2018 11:34 PM

It was pretty generic. Felt like the whole B story on Earth was done post production when they decided it was going to tie in to Cloverfield. Whole lot of nothing there. 2/4

Danny Electric 02-06-2018 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Drebin (Post 5082676)
It was pretty generic. Felt like the whole B story on Earth was done post production when they decided it was going to tie in to Cloverfield. Whole lot of nothing there. 2/4

I agree , the movie was originally The God Particle and seems a shame if the original script had no mentions at all of Cloverfield and they put a lot of stuff in post production.
Great cast though , I enjoyed it for what it was as a Netflix movie.

Interesting to see the tie ins to the other movies, missed one completely so will have to rewatch.

Next movie in the Cloverfield series is called Overlord, set during the D Day landings.

Frank Drebin 02-06-2018 07:41 AM

Remember though, it wasn't a Netflix original. They bought it from Paramount. It was going to be released in theaters in April. That's why this was kind of a big shocker. Netflix bought a "blockbuster" all for themselves.

Seanny One Ball 02-06-2018 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Drebin (Post 5082676)

This is the impression I got from the review I read.

It's a shame that the original and best Cloverfield film barely shows the monster, is only 70 minutes long and has two big budget sequels that have absolutely nothing to do with it.

It sort of parallels the Alien franchise in that by even attempting to create one they end up destroying its potential immediately.

slik 02-06-2018 09:16 AM

It was just 'ok' - not as bad as people say but definitely not amazing. Some good visuals but really bad pacing. You can also tell it was a film that had things 'added in' to make it part of the Cloverfield Universe (Donal Logue's scene being the most obvious, along with the last shot).

It did provide an answer as to how the first film happened though so in that regard it was a success.

Seanny One Ball 02-06-2018 10:43 AM

Are you seriously happy with that as an explanation for the monster's presence on Earth?

I suppose that is the equivalent of a man dying of thirst being happy that someone takes the time to pour some motor oil in his mouth before he expires.
His thirst might not be quenched but his mouth is no longer dry.

slik 02-06-2018 11:18 AM

It's not really that different from how the creatures in Stranger Things got in.
Humans messed with an element they shouldn't have, multiversal effects ensue.
If it was a comic book it would make perfect sense so I see no problem with it as an explanation.

Danny Electric 02-06-2018 11:21 AM

Wonder what the bad guys will Ben in Overlord, Nazi monsters from a different dimension.

Frank Drebin 02-06-2018 01:05 PM

A universe in which DC made a good movie.

alvarado52 02-06-2018 04:24 PM

The movie itself was alright, but I did like how they made the entire Cloverfield brand a multiverse. It was essentially the origin story of the Cloververse.

rez 02-06-2018 05:37 PM

10 Cloverfield Lane was originally, "The Cellar" and made a Cloverfield movie.

There's a lot wrong with TCP but the origins of the monster(s) has been explained to have come from beneath the ocean's floor a while back (woken from drilling and stuffs) There's a lot of hidden internet nerd stuff, plus a manga was released.

Clovey from the OG was even said to have been a youth sea..monster thing.

I'm just ready for some closure. haha...The Lane aliens are still a mystery.

rez 02-06-2018 05:39 PM

the arm and the ship having some kind of life of its own are pretty fucking dumb

rez 02-06-2018 05:40 PM

further reading and shit

http://cloverfield.wikia.com/wiki/Parasite

rez 02-06-2018 05:47 PM

PS PS

Likely scenario is the monster at the end of TCP is the same one as in the first movie but remember we're dealing with different times and parallel dimensions. Earth in this movie could be different from the Earth from the first movie and he was just WOKEN in the future timeline by a different force rather than however he was in the 2008 timeline/dimension.

The crazy guy on the news has the same last name as John Goodman's character

Same actress plays the news anchor lady that tried to get into Goodman's Bunker.

Frank Drebin 02-06-2018 09:36 PM

Netflix reportedly paid $50 million for it which makes it profitable on a budget of $40 million. No other associated costs with distribution or marketing. Very interesting.

alvarado52 02-06-2018 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rez (Post 5082905)
PS PS

Likely scenario is the monster at the end of TCP is the same one as in the first movie

Couldnt be the same one based on size alone. The OG monster was tall, but not even tall enough to rise above the skies. It also was significantly skinnier, which lends to the theory of the monster basically being a scared adolescent just wrecking shit in panic mode.

rez 02-06-2018 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alvarado52 (Post 5083108)
Couldnt be the same one based on size alone. The OG monster was tall, but not even tall enough to rise above the skies. It also was significantly skinnier, which lends to the theory of the monster basically being a scared adolescent just wrecking shit in panic mode.

Different Earth dimension. It got to sleep under the ocean floor beyond 2008 (first movie) until 2028 for whatever. Plenty of years to get bigger. Or his mother finally came to find 'em.

rez 02-06-2018 10:31 PM

movie magic. doubt the creature reaches into the clouds. the size of the head doesn't make sense.

rez 02-06-2018 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Drebin (Post 5083074)
Netflix reportedly paid $50 million for it which makes it profitable on a budget of $40 million. No other associated costs with distribution or marketing. Very interesting.

Scifi/Syfi, Lifetime, etc. were ahead of their time.

rez 02-06-2018 10:48 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqRl4kxkd0A

Frank Drebin 02-06-2018 10:50 PM

I'm still fascinated with Netflix getting this movie. It probably would have been met with mixed reviews at best and would have underperformed at the box office, so rather than go through all of that, they sell it to Netflix who get to tout that they have this mainstream "blockbuster" and rack up the views. Meanwhile, the studio still makes a tidy profit and forgoes the uncertainty of a wide release.

Does this mean Netflix is the dumping ground for movies studios don't want to take the chance on spending marketing money on because they know it sucks, or is this the beginning of Netflix trying to flat out expand into first run movie territory and infringe on theaters themselves?

RP 02-07-2018 01:16 AM

It didnt suck really. It was kind of a poor man's Event Horizon with some Alien Covenant vibes.

I didnt see how any of this tied into the other Cloverfield stories. I thought when the guy went to the bunker, he was in John Goodmans bunker and John Goodman's character was the one texting him, but nope. Also, I though the pod dropping in the ocean at the end was tied to the final scene in Cloverfield, but then the monster popped up. So that dont make sense either.

Danny Electric 02-07-2018 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Drebin (Post 5083138)
I'm still fascinated with Netflix getting this movie. It probably would have been met with mixed reviews at best and would have underperformed at the box office, so rather than go through all of that, they sell it to Netflix who get to tout that they have this mainstream "blockbuster" and rack up the views. Meanwhile, the studio still makes a tidy profit and forgoes the uncertainty of a wide release.

Does this mean Netflix is the dumping ground for movies studios don't want to take the chance on spending marketing money on because they know it sucks, or is this the beginning of Netflix trying to flat out expand into first run movie territory and infringe on theaters themselves?

From what I read Netflix set up some sort of deal with Paramount, Annihilation will premiere on Netflix in every region apart from USA, Canada and China where it's getting a cinema release.
They payed Paramount a big fee to show The Cloverfield Paradox too.

Danny Electric 02-07-2018 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RP (Post 5083176)
It didnt suck really. It was kind of a poor man's Event Horizon with some Alien Covenant vibes.

I didnt see how any of this tied into the other Cloverfield stories. I thought when the guy went to the bunker, he was in John Goodmans bunker and John Goodman's character was the one texting him, but nope. Also, I though the pod dropping in the ocean at the end was tied to the final scene in Cloverfield, but then the monster popped up. So that dont make sense either.

I think there trying to base that the ship using the Shepherd created a rift in all these alternate dimensions and every film is set in a different dimension. Hence the infected lady from 10 Cloverfield Lane being a newsreader in this movie.

Seanny One Ball 02-07-2018 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slik (Post 5082781)
It's not really that different from how the creatures in Stranger Things got in.
Humans messed with an element they shouldn't have, multiversal effects ensue.
If it was a comic book it would make perfect sense so I see no problem with it as an explanation.

I don't like the obvious shoe-horning of ideas that they clearly just grabbed at from other sources. Cloverfield is a patchwork quilt of a franchise.

Kalyx triaD 02-07-2018 09:51 AM

This 'series' is a fucking sham.

Lock Jaw 02-07-2018 01:38 PM

Reported that Netflix paid around 50 million to get this

Kalyx triaD 02-07-2018 01:41 PM

I suppose it's still cheaper than making it from scratch.

Seanny One Ball 02-07-2018 01:47 PM

To think Evan Almighty cost 175 million...

Frank Drebin 02-07-2018 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Drebin (Post 5083074)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lock Jaw (Post 5083314)
Reported that Netflix paid around 50 million to get this

Please read my posts

Seanny One Ball 02-07-2018 03:58 PM

Do we all have to?

Lock Jaw 02-07-2018 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Drebin (Post 5083364)
Please read my posts

It was fake news until I posted it

Frank Drebin 02-07-2018 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanny One Ball (Post 5083365)
Do we all have to?

I have 3 stars worth of rep. I'm totally cool and full of wisdom. It would behoove you to go back and read all 20k of my posts, actually.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lock Jaw (Post 5083396)
It was fake news until I posted it

At least I have indoor plumbing at my home.

Lock Jaw 02-07-2018 07:07 PM

So do I. There's just no water running through it at the moment.

RP 02-07-2018 07:36 PM

The best thing this movie could have done was no be a Cloverfield movie. Just make it a whole different movie. It was good. Was not great. There were things that did not make sense like....

SPOILER: show
The worm guy walking around with that huge direction ball in his stomach and not knowing. Or the dudes arm knowing he had it in him and writing it out. I really enjoyed the scene where he got his arm taken though. That was thoughtfull and really well done.

rez 02-07-2018 07:45 PM

Those tricky Russians, RP.