TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   entertainment forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   DC Universe Thread (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=60221)

Rammsteinmad 07-31-2008 08:13 AM

Smallville is old... they need to get over it.

Lock Jaw 07-31-2008 02:05 PM

The past few seasons have actually been decent. The first few were blah though.

Nowhere Man 08-23-2008 03:04 PM

So now apparently Warner Bros' strategy is going to make all of DC's movies 'dark-and-gritty' like The Dark Knight:

source: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1219...googlenews_wsj

Quote:

Warner Bros. also put on hold plans for another movie starring multiple superheroes -- known as "Batman vs. Superman" -- after the $215 million "Superman Returns," which had disappointing box-office returns, didn't please executives. "'Superman' didn't quite work as a film in the way that we wanted it to," says Mr. Robinov. "It didn't position the character the way he needed to be positioned." "Had 'Superman' worked in 2006, we would have had a movie for Christmas of this year or 2009," he adds. "But now the plan is just to reintroduce Superman without regard to a Batman and Superman movie at all."

Like the recent Batman sequel -- which has become the highest-grossing film of the year thus far -- Mr. Robinov wants his next pack of superhero movies to be bathed in the same brooding tone as "The Dark Knight." Creatively, he sees exploring the evil side to characters as the key to unlocking some of Warner Bros.' DC properties. "We're going to try to go dark to the extent that the characters allow it," he says. That goes for the company's Superman franchise as well.
So I guess it's good news for people who didn't like Superman Returns. Still, a 'dark and gritty' Superman?! Jesus Christ, that's going to suck.

Lock Jaw 08-23-2008 03:38 PM

By "going dark to the extent that the characters allow it" I think Superman wouldn't be as dark as Batman. I think what they're trying to get at it trying to do serious things and trying to stay away from camp or whatever. A more serious Lex Luthor could be brilliant.... but then you'd get people going "UGH Lex Luthor AGAIN?! How lame! Superman sucks! Boo Superman! I'm not even going to BOTHER going to see this! Take THAT Superman!"

Nowhere Man 08-23-2008 08:42 PM

I'm not against giving Superman a serious treatment and avoiding the campy stuff, but at the same time, making him intentionally 'dark' seems to ignore the very basics of why the character works. That, and I still have a bad taste in my mouth from when the comics tried it in the 90s.

And yeah, as much as I'd love to see Lex Luthor get a more serious reboot, I think it's high time the spotlight went to, say, Brainiac.

Lock Jaw 08-23-2008 09:05 PM

I don't think they'd so much as make Superman dark as make his villain dark and the situation he finds himself in.

Braniac would work, but for some reason I see them going with a more "human" version or something. No cold robot guy.

Manchester Black could work for a movie, but it would possibly just end up being the exact story of Dark Knight, but with a sane british guy instead of an insane clown.

Boondock Saint 08-24-2008 05:40 AM

Good job WB on not knowing how to handle your superhero properties. :y:

Rammsteinmad 08-24-2008 01:45 PM

What is with people always cumming over "dark" stories. Batman is "darker" and all of a sudden people are ejaculating. Batman's character has always been "dark" but I don't think everything needs to be.

For fucks sake ask the negro community if darker is better. :foc:

Rammsteinmad 08-24-2008 01:46 PM

And to be on subject, the Dark Knight was awesome. Superman Returns was alright, but Superman is not a "dark" character. Just do a Superman VS Doomsday film with approximately 75% of the film being raging battles with these two destroying all kinds of shit. :y:

Kalyx triaD 09-28-2008 07:01 AM

Own Heath Ledger's Epic Final Act:

The Dark Knight drops Dec. 9th.

XL 09-28-2008 07:51 PM

Went to see The Dark Knight at the IMAX today, saw the trailer for Watchmen. Although I know nothing about the franchise it looks FRICKIN' AWESOME!!

Kalyx triaD 09-28-2008 09:35 PM

Hope you like it, because they're already talking sequels...

Blitz 09-28-2008 11:48 PM

To Watchmen? :(

Lock Jaw 10-01-2008 07:26 PM

So... They are apparently making a show called The Graysons for the CW. http://www.newsarama.com/tv/100801-GraysonsonCW.html

It will feature a teenaged Dick Grayson's life before he becomes Robin. Why anyone wants to see his life before then, I don't know. Also, he's going to known as Dick "DJ" Grayson, because that sounds way more hip.

Kalyx triaD 10-01-2008 07:44 PM

LOL So we're gonna have some circus drama?!? C'mon... "Bruce Wayne" or "GCPD" would've been much more appealing.

Boondock Saint 10-01-2008 08:00 PM

A Gotham Central show would be sweet.

Robin: :|

I like Dick, as Robin and Nightwing, but his backstory doesn't have much to it until his parents die. Oops, spoiler alert.

Destor 10-01-2008 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boondock Saint (Post 2301853)
I like Dick

I've heard that about you

Nowhere Man 10-01-2008 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz (Post 2298828)
To Watchmen? :(

The studios have been talking about it, unfortunately. My money says any hypothetical sequel gets trapped forever in development hell, though, especially since Snyder and others are pretty opposed to the idea.

Kalyx triaD 10-01-2008 10:22 PM

Riddle Me This, Savy...:

You guys probably heard by now but Johnny Depp is definitely in the run to portray the Riddler in the next Batman. Ofcourse if you ask him he'll simply something like "Oh, that would be fun." But WB has all but came out with it. Micheal Cain confirmed it, too. And he knows everything. I think.

Lock Jaw 10-01-2008 10:22 PM

Reply #297 is probably why they have decided to randomly call him "DJ".

Kalyx triaD 10-01-2008 10:24 PM

'Richard' would have worked for me.

Kalyx triaD 10-02-2008 03:30 PM

New Supes in 2011?:

Kevin Spacey as been approached to reprise his role as Lex Luthor for the new Superman project slated to begin pre-prod in 2009 for a 2011 release.

Wait a minute... wasn't this Superman a reboot? Maybe there are things in 'Returns that WB feels can hang around, but calling it a reboot will be misleading if certain actors return to certain roles. And since they're on that way of thinking anyway, why not Routh return as well? And perhaps its time Smallville's Erica Durance upgrade to a fully big-screen version of Lois Lane?

No word if this reboot is with Singer or Miller's take on the franchise.

Destor 10-02-2008 05:51 PM

Ruth better not return

Kalyx triaD 10-02-2008 06:09 PM

Routh was great. The only other Superman I'd look into is Tim Daly.

Jeritron 10-02-2008 06:46 PM

I don't think Joe Hackett can hack it as Superman

Jeritron 10-02-2008 06:47 PM

What's he gonna do, stop the evil Roy Biggins from sabotaging a flight on Sandpiper Air?

Nowhere Man 10-03-2008 01:57 AM

I really hope Routh and Spacey stick around, but I couldn't care less if they dropped Bosworth. She just didn't click as Lois at all.

Kalyx triaD 10-03-2008 03:20 AM

She'd make a good Lucy maybe.

Kalyx triaD 10-03-2008 05:43 AM

In Brightest Day...:

Green Lantern is gearing up to be begin filming as soon as Spring since a script has been given in. Still, W-desperate-B do not have a director, actor, producer, caterer officially signed. All that's been told is that they'll be filming come Spring. That's winging it for sure. Hopefully we'll get news that hint at professional pre-production from WB.

http://www.jmventertainment.com/imag...ong_BIG_1_.jpg
Will Hal Jordan be the title hero? I have a sinking feeling Kyle Rayner's gonna take the spotlight.

Nowhere Man 10-03-2008 06:04 AM

Kyle? If anything, they're probably gonna give it to John "shoe-horned into the Justice League for the sake of political correctness" Stewart.

At this point, I'm getting pretty inclined to dismiss any releases WB has regarding their superhero line. Considering how on-and-off they've been about the next Superman movie, the JLA, and pretty much anything that doesn't start with the word "Batman," I'm going to remain skeptical about a Green Lantern movie until I'm in the theater for it.

Don't get me wrong--I'd like to see it. Done correctly, a GL movie could be freaking epic.

mitchables 10-04-2008 08:44 PM

Yeah, but of the Lanterns, Hal far and away has the easiest origin story to translate to screen since he was the "first" recipient of the Ring for our sector. Giving it to John or Kyle (or even Guy) instead pretty much needs either Hal to be introduced first or a serious mash-up of names and origins.

Jeritron 10-04-2008 08:50 PM

They'll change it to work for the screen anyways. Theres nothing to say they won't use Hal's backstory for one of the others, or just cast a black man as Hal.
At the end of the day, they're gonna make a decision based on the movie they want to make and not the comic.

The Destroyer 10-04-2008 08:57 PM

My money's on Alan Scott. :shifty:

Lock Jaw 10-04-2008 08:59 PM

I think it was already confirmed that they were going with Hal Jordan, but others may appear as well.

mitchables 10-04-2008 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Destroyer (Post 2304943)
My money's on Alan Scott. :shifty:

Now that I'd like to see.

The Destroyer 10-04-2008 09:06 PM

Aren't you proud of me Mitch, I actually know stuff about DC now. :cool:

Lock Jaw 10-04-2008 10:22 PM

Alan Scott is my personal favourite GL, but for a movie, Hal Jordan would probably be best.

Nowhere Man 10-04-2008 10:50 PM

I'd love to see the old-school JSA get the big-movie treatment at some point or another.

Kalyx triaD 10-05-2008 02:43 PM

By the time WB gets any super-team on the big screen we'll be taking our teenage kids to to see it.

Boondock Saint 10-05-2008 03:27 PM

Alan Scott FTW