TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   wrestling forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Paige Blames Fans Instead of WWE for Holding Back Women's Wrestling (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=136006)

Emperor Smeat 02-19-2019 03:38 AM

Paige Blames Fans Instead of WWE for Holding Back Women's Wrestling

Paige had a recent interview with newspaper Gulf News and besides talking a bunch about her new film, she also mentioned that fans are to blame for why women's wrestling in WWE was in a dire situation for a long time.

Quote:

“It was never WWE holding the women back. It was the fans not taking them seriously. They wanted to see more of the male characters many years ago. It was a male dominated sport.

When I first started, there were only five women there. It was a struggle but WWE just believed in us. When I got into the ring, I wanted to prove to the fans that girls were capable of having good matches and sometimes, even better. That was kind of my mission from the get go. Now there’s obviously a revolution.”
https://gulfnews.com/entertainment/h...son-1.62146979

Predictably, Paige has been getting a lot of online backlash from those comments and people pulling up countless instances where WWE held back women's wrestling and treated it as nothing more than "piss break" or "eye candy only" stuff.

Fignuts 02-19-2019 04:30 AM

Ever since I first saw AJW and saw what women's wrestling could be, I've wanted WWE's women's division to be just as good. It's never been even remotely close. Not even now. In part due to WWE''s forced, tryhard marketing, and in part because there are only a handful of genuinely talented in ring performers in their "revolution".

Black Widow 02-19-2019 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts (Post 5226851)
Ever since I first saw AJW and saw what women's wrestling could be, I've wanted WWE's women's division to be just as good. It's never been even remotely close. Not even now. In part due to WWE''s forced, tryhard marketing, and in part because there are only a handful of genuinely talented in ring performers in their "revolution".

On Monday your a NERD, on Tuesday your a NERD, on Wensday though Saturday your a NERD, then on Sunday just to be different your a super NERD

Black Widow 02-19-2019 04:41 AM

She's right i can remember seeing some good matches during that time and fan's not caring.

Vastardikai 02-19-2019 09:02 AM

I blame Moolah.

rez 02-19-2019 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Widow (Post 5226852)
On Monday your a NERD, on Tuesday your a NERD, on Wensday though Saturday your a NERD, then on Sunday just to be different your a super NERD

The meth is hurting your ability to spell.

XL 02-19-2019 05:31 PM

When she says there were 5 women there when she started, does she mean NXT? Cos surely there was something more than 5 on the main roster.

xrodmuc316 02-19-2019 05:44 PM

She sounds like every bitter retired wrestler ever.

DAMN iNATOR 02-19-2019 05:56 PM

Yeah, sure, it had nothing whatsoever to do with Vince only hiring women he could ogle from backstage for the longest time. Come the fuck on.

Stickman 02-19-2019 10:12 PM

It’s Jerry Lawlers fault with his relentless “puppies” comments....plus the women have been awful for a long time and still are 50% terrible.

SlickyTrickyDamon 02-19-2019 10:15 PM

Fuck you fans but see my movie.

Is the girl fucking retarded?

Mr. Nerfect 02-20-2019 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlickyTrickyDamon (Post 5227121)

If you examine so much of her career, the answer becomes evident to you.

Black Widow 02-20-2019 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAMN iNATOR (Post 5226964)
Yeah, sure, it had nothing whatsoever to do with Vince only hiring women he could ogle from backstage for the longest time. Come the fuck on.

I was at a ppv where Melina faced Mickie good match and the crowd was disinterested so yeah she has a point.

Y'all nerds don't like when shots get taken at y'all from the wrestlers and it gets y'all in your feelings.

#1-norm-fan 02-20-2019 10:36 AM

You were at a wrestling show live where you were the only person in the crowd enjoying a Mickie vs Melina match and now you post on a wrestling forum daily to call out others for being nerds as if you’re above them.

Just let that sink in.

#1-norm-fan 02-20-2019 10:40 AM

Also, Paige clearly hasn’t figured out yet how to toe the line of being a company kissass without going full retard.

Ol Dirty Dastard 02-20-2019 10:49 AM

Why is Black Widow not dead yet?

Anyways, Paige probably very thankful she has gotten about a bajillion chances with WWE despite her consistent idiocy. As a result, is now drinking company kool-aid.

Seanny One Ball 02-20-2019 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Widow (Post 5226853)
She's right i can remember seeing some good matches during that time and fan's not caring.

Conclusive proof at last

Rammsteinmad 02-20-2019 01:06 PM

Just throwing this in here that I've always said I thought Paige was overrated.

Bad News Gertner 02-20-2019 01:12 PM

Her and AJ Lee.

Bad News Gertner 02-20-2019 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Widow (Post 5227242)
I was at a ppv where Melina faced Mickie good match and the crowd was disinterested so yeah she has a point.

Y'all nerds don't like when shots get taken at y'all from the wrestlers and it gets y'all in your feelings.

You're not wrong. There were plenty of very good matches during that era. Mickie vs Melina Candice Michelle vs Melina, Candice vs Beth Pheonix. The crowds just didn't care.

Anybody Thrilla 02-20-2019 01:19 PM

Did fans book the pudding matches? Also, weird time for her to flex on fans with that movie due out.

Gerard 02-20-2019 01:46 PM

Shouldn't she be off getting another retarded looking chest tattoo instead of flapping her gums?

Ol Dirty Dastard 02-20-2019 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman King Gertner (Post 5227265)
You're not wrong. There were plenty of very good matches during that era. Mickie vs Melina Candice Michelle vs Melina, Candice vs Beth Pheonix. The crowds just didn't care.

eh. They were presented as afterthoughts and the fans treated it as such.

When presented as a big deal (like Trish and Lita), the fans liked it. And lita sucked but somehow the fans thought she was a badass cuz they said she was.

poopfromweiner dude 02-20-2019 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlickyTrickyDamon (Post 5227121)

Wow easy on the mansplaining and definitely take it easy on the big R word pretty boy

It's 2019 on tpww what decade are you posting in

Black Widow 02-20-2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #1-wwf-fan (Post 5227244)
You were at a wrestling show live where you were the only person in the crowd enjoying a Mickie vs Melina match and now you post on a wrestling forum daily to call out others for being nerds as if you’re above them.

Just let that sink in.

Yep not everyone on the internet has to have the same opinion.

Someone has to do it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dastardly One (Post 5227246)
Why is Black Widow not dead yet?

I'm not dead yet cause i'm still alive pretty easy to figure out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerard (Post 5227269)
Shouldn't she be off getting another retarded looking chest tattoo instead of flapping her gums?

Shouldn't you be buying some DDPYoga instead of crying on here.

#1-norm-fan 02-20-2019 05:38 PM

Speaking of respecting women’s wrestling, was it also the fans who put the NXT women’s title in her hands so Brad Maddox could jizz all over it?

Emperor Smeat 02-20-2019 05:53 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Since Paige claims WWE never held women back, here are some of the struggles the Divas went through back in the day:</p>&mdash; boris (@bvmbshelled) <a href="https://twitter.com/bvmbshelled/status/1097548493978243072?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 18, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Twitter thread with a lot of instances of Paige being wrong in her claims.

Gerard 02-20-2019 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Widow (Post 5227294)

Shouldn't you be buying some DDPYoga instead of crying on here.

I will do when you're finished blowing me.

Fignuts 02-20-2019 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman King Gertner (Post 5227265)

The occasional good match isn’t going to maintain the audiences attention when it’s surrounded by so much pissbreak nonsense. There’s always been at any given time, a few women who truly care, and want to excel as performers, but that doesn’t really matter if the company isn’t willing to get behind the division as a whole.

It is what it is. Things aren’t perfect now, but I feel the division is in a better place than it was during the beginning of the women’s revolution. They’re still trying too hard at times but I also feel they’re allowing some things to happen more naturally, which is how women got over in nxt to begin with.

Emperor Smeat 02-20-2019 07:47 PM

Found it interesting that one of the basis for Paige's claims involved "puppies" being used in derogatory terms which was something that didn't really originate with fans but instead with WWE and Jerry "The King" Lawler.

Like no shit the fans are going to chant the phrase after being conditioned for years by WWE about it being an acceptable term to use for women wrestlers.

Ol Dirty Dastard 02-20-2019 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emperor Smeat (Post 5227350)
Found it interesting that one of the basis for Paige's claims involved "puppies" being used in derogatory terms which was something that didn't really originate with fans but instead with WWE and Jerry "The King" Lawler.

Like no shit the fans are going to chant the phrase after being conditioned for years by WWE about it being an acceptable term to use for women wrestlers.

Going to have to go full SlickyTrickyDamon on you here and make a completely irrelevant correction -- but it was actually Road Dogg who originated "Puppies". Mr. Lawler simply took the ball and ran with it.

Sorry, I don't know why I felt so obligated to clarify that fact.

DAMN iNATOR 02-21-2019 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Widow (Post 5227242)

I never even brought up that match, and I'm sure if I re-watched it, I might be inclined to agree.

What you ignore or fail to realize is that just as much as a wrestler (oh, I'm sorry, "superstar" :roll: ) has a right to express their opinions to the fans, the fans have a right to respond back with their own opinions. That's literally the whole reason professional wrestling exists. The term "male soap opera" gets thrown around a lot, but that's essentially what it is.

KIRA 02-21-2019 10:27 AM

Yes it is our fault that Vince hired the likes of Kelly Kelly, Jackie Gayda, Jerry Lawler's 19th underage ex-girlfriend and a whole host of talentless models and also ran blondes through a diva search

Cuz we totally didn't bitch when they did absolutely nothing with Gail Kim and tried their damnedest to push the likes of The Bella Twins to the forefront of the company.

Bad News Gertner 02-21-2019 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts (Post 5227344)
The occasional good match isn’t going to maintain the audiences attention when it’s surrounded by so much pissbreak nonsense. There’s always been at any given time, a few women who truly care, and want to excel as performers, but that doesn’t really matter if the company isn’t willing to get behind the division as a whole.

It is what it is. Things aren’t perfect now, but I feel the division is in a better place than it was during the beginning of the women’s revolution. They’re still trying too hard at times but I also feel they’re allowing some things to happen more naturally, which is how women got over in nxt to begin with.

The match quality would have more the likely been better if they were given more than three minutes, but like you said if the company doesnt care then why should the fans.

Fignuts 02-21-2019 09:37 PM

You’re definitely right that some of those girls deserved more time. But 3 minutes in the ring is about all I can handle of someone like Christy Hemme. And there were a lot of them for a while.

Bad News Gertner 02-21-2019 09:42 PM

Very true. They also might have improved a bit if they were given more time. Lol yeah Christy wasn't good.

Fignuts 02-21-2019 10:59 PM

Looking at the landscape today, it really shows the value of the performance center. Even the below average female performers are a lot better than some of the women the had in years past.

Bad News Gertner 02-21-2019 11:41 PM

Oh yes definitely. Finlay did a yeomans job teaching the females in the ring back in the day, but this system is much better.

Emperor Smeat 02-22-2019 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KIRA (Post 5227484)
Yes it is our fault that Vince hired the likes of Kelly Kelly, Jackie Gayda, Jerry Lawler's 19th underage ex-girlfriend and a whole host of talentless models and also ran blondes through a diva search

Cuz we totally didn't bitch when they did absolutely nothing with Gail Kim and tried their damnedest to push the likes of The Bella Twins to the forefront of the company.

Pretty much can blame Moolah, Vince, Kevin Dunn, and John Laurinaitis for why women's wrestling was in such a bad shape for decades in WWE outside of brief moments.

Vince and Laurinaitis are the biggest offenders of that group. Vince never really wanted women's wrestling in WWE and Laurinaitis' basis for signings involved if he saw them in a magazine or considered them bar date worthy.

Bad News Gertner 02-22-2019 01:09 AM

I just heard an interview Vince gave in 85 pumping up the Womens division. Lol not even a year later it was dead on its ass and they had an awesome roster of female wrestlers in the mid 80s. Half of it was Moolah, half Vince.