TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   wrestling forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Old Wrestlers vs. WWE Concussion Lawsuit Dismissed (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=135433)

Innovator 09-17-2018 03:43 PM

Old Wrestlers vs. WWE Concussion Lawsuit Dismissed

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWInsiderher
World Wrestling Entertainment just scored a major victory in regard to the lawsuits that have been brought against World Wrestling Entertainment over the last several years by dozens of former WWWF/ WWF/WWE performers regarding WWE's alleged lack of protection when it came to performers in regard to their health, specifically concussions, CTE and other head-trauma related injuries.

In a 39-page ruling issued just a few hours ago Judge Vanessa L. Bryant of the United States District Court of Connecticut officially dismissed all lawsuits against WWE.

Anybody Thrilla 09-17-2018 03:45 PM

Chris Nowinski is probably pissed.

Swiss Ultimate 09-17-2018 03:55 PM

What was the exact claim they were making about WWE?

Bad News Gertner 09-17-2018 05:54 PM

There's a decent amount of names in that lawsuit that would be in the Hall of Fame if it weren't for said lawsuit

xrodmuc316 09-17-2018 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Midnight Gertner (Post 5173502)
There's a decent amount of names in that lawsuit that would be in the Hall of Fame if it weren't for said lawsuit

There is an even larger number of names that were only in WWE for a cup of coffee, but wrestled elsewhere like high school gyms for years.

To say WWE was at fault for their concussions was always ridiculous. Class action suits where they try to get as many names as possible without doing due diligence always fail.

Someone like Sabu suing WWE is insane. All the damage he has done to himself, but the one year he actually worked for WWE was the one that he was taken advantage of, come on. If anything that was probably the safest year of his entire career.

Or Bill Eadie, who has had an "Ax" to grind with WWE forever, has no credibility. This is a guy who has been doing independent shows since 1991, yet WWE, who put Crush in Demolition because of his health at the time, is at fault? Demolition who was a dominate team that didn't take much damage during that run, that is the reason he damaged himself and needs to sue the company he has ALREADY tried to sue for numerous other reasons.

How about the Hebners? A couple of refs that were fired from WWE for stealing and selling WWE merch? Yeah, they for sure have all sorts of brain damage from all their matches.

It was a pay grab that was doomed to fail because the ones making the grab are scammers, not victims.

xrodmuc316 09-17-2018 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anybody Thrilla (Post 5173431)
Chris Nowinski is probably pissed.

Lol the guy who wasn't part of the lawsuit and has done great work for the cause is pissed? He is probably happy scammers aren't getting money off his hard work.

Emperor Smeat 09-17-2018 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pit Barrel King (Post 5173435)
What was the exact claim they were making about WWE?

If I remember, it was both claims of the WWE having knowledge of wrestling causing CTE-like health issues going back to the 80s and purposely withholding that info from their talent.

WWE's stance on the issue is almost the same as the NFL in regards of them claiming they only became aware of CTE risks in recent years and wrestling not having a direct connection to it.

The lawyer involved on the wrestlers side pretty much got outed as a lawsuit happy troll similar in vein to patent lawsuit trolls. Bulk of his claims had no basis or strong evidence and kept trying to bring lawsuits against the WWE.

Anybody Thrilla 09-17-2018 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrodmuc316 (Post 5173522)
Lol the guy who wasn't part of the lawsuit and has done great work for the cause is pissed? He is probably happy scammers aren't getting money off his hard work.

I was paying very little attention to this. I'm glad he's not pissed. I've always liked him.

Vastardikai 09-17-2018 07:38 PM

CM Punk had the best shot at crushing WWE legally, and it had nothing to do with concussions.

Big Vic 09-18-2018 08:26 AM

WWE had been crushed legally before punk.

Vastardikai 09-18-2018 09:18 AM

Pandas.

Swiss Ultimate 09-18-2018 09:35 AM

FOCKIN PANDAS!

Innovator 09-18-2018 10:18 AM

Jerry McDevitt to PWInsider about the Appeal:

"This is the same kind of drivel Kyros pawned off on former wrestlers when soliciting them to sue WWE by false statements that he had obtained a billion dollar settlement for NFL players and would do the same for wrestlers, when in fact he had absolutely nothing to do with getting that settlement. He was caught repeatedly making false allegations; has been admonished repeatedly by federal judges about his dishonest behavior; and has now been subjected to two different sanction orders of the kind that would make most lawyers embarrassed and ashamed. The rant he sent you now insults the federal judge who issued the decision, and he still fails to address the basis of her opinion. He may well have been able to mislead those he solicited to join his lawsuits, but he will never succeed in misleading us or federal judges. Frankly, he should be disbarred."

Theo Dious 09-18-2018 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrodmuc316 (Post 5173522)

Yeah I'm pretty sure he's far more interested in research involving detection and prevention than he is in helping a bunch of bitter carnies collect free paychecks.

Simple Fan 09-18-2018 01:32 PM

Good. Personally I think it should be in their contracts that they can't sue for something like this. Should be like that for all sports really, they know the risk and get paid well for doing it.

Swiss Ultimate 09-18-2018 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simple Fan (Post 5174131)
Good. Personally I think it should be in their contracts that they can't sue for something like this. Should be like that for all sports really, they know the risk and get paid well for doing it.

Do WWE wrestlers get paid well?

Emperor Smeat 09-18-2018 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simple Fan (Post 5174131)

That pretty much was the entire basis of this lawsuit where the wrestlers, especially the 80s and 90s, claim they were not fully aware of the long term risks and claim WWE had more knowledge but purposely kept that info in the dark. What was also damaging to the WWE is their head of medical being the same doctor who was the head of medical in NFL and is a known denier of CTE studies. The stuff involving Daniel Bryan being a big indicator of WWE's head doctor being untrustworthy with CTE and concussion diagnosis.

The wrestlers unfortunate had such a terrible lawyer representing them that whatever legit claims they might have had, got washed away due to the lawyer's antics and terrible law skills.

Simple Fan 09-18-2018 06:07 PM

Bullshit, these guys made good money while working and now that they can't they want to sue. If they didn't know the risk they're dumbasses and probably had CTE before even wrestling. I have no sympathy for athletes that want to sue the league that gave them a living.

xrodmuc316 09-18-2018 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simple Fan (Post 5174232)
Bullshit, these guys made good money while working and now that they can't they want to sue. If they didn't know the risk they're dumbasses and probably had CTE before even wrestling. I have no sympathy for athletes that want to sue the league that gave them a living.

To be fair, nobody knew the CTE Risks back then, because the risks weren't even discovered in people outside of boxers until 2002, and certainly wasn't mainstream known until at least 2007.

That alone though kills the lawsuit, because if nobody knew, then WWE couldn't have known either and thus could not have kept that knowledge from anybody.

The NFL got dinged because in the mid 2000s they specifically did research on it that they didn't release, and publicly continued denying there was no link despite their own research.

I go back to Sabu. Sabu who has destroyed his body wrestling for over 30 years, yet it is WWE'S fault because he was signed with them for 1 year out of 30. Nevermind he did not have a single reported injury during the 1 year he worked for WWE, he has brain injuries and thus deserves a payday from WWE.

It is a clear cash grab, and no Judge is going to fall for that level of bullshit.

Bad News Gertner 09-18-2018 11:34 PM

There really should be something put in place to help these guys out after they retire. Stories like Paul Orndorff shouldn't be happening.

These guys made alot but it's for a short period of time and the medical bills as they get older must be enormous. There's more stories like Paul Orndorff than you'd imagine. Guys like Bobby Eaton and Jim Brunzell. It's sad.

Emperor Smeat 09-18-2018 11:57 PM

Not sure if WWE made any recent tweaks or changes but they do help cover medical costs and rehab for former wrestlers. Only catch is they only do it if requested and/or some requirements are followed.

Unless your on a Legends deal, don't think they have anything similar to a pension type system like NFL and other sports have. They do give out royalties checks to former talent but supposedly have been cutting back on the amount given ever since the Network launched.

Bad News Gertner 09-19-2018 12:05 AM

I think I remember Marty Jannetty saying that the WWE offered to fix his ankles if he got clean off pain killers. The problem is Marty's ankles are so beyond fucked that he needs painkillers just to walk.

http://i45.tinypic.com/wgwxnb.jpg

Damian Rey 2.0 09-19-2018 02:32 AM

Holy shit at his ankles

Innovator 09-19-2018 10:17 AM

This lawyer took parts of the NFL pleadings and copy/pasted it into pleadings for the concussion suit and didn't bother to change the names.

Loose Cannon 09-19-2018 10:40 AM

yeah i never thought this would hold up in court. Does the WWE have a moral responsibility to help their old employees, especially the one's that have worked for them for 5+ years? Probably. and i think they do though. at least i've heard a lot of stories of them helping with rehab and medical bills and what not. But they aren't obligated to help. Unfortunately this is the risk the workers took and continue to take.

Fortunately there's a lot more precautions taken today in regard to the workers. It is sad seeing those of the legends today.