TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   entertainment forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Brawl in Cell Block 99 (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=135395)

Swiss Ultimate 09-09-2018 12:24 AM

Brawl in Cell Block 99

Holy shit at this movie.

HOLY SHIT.

So good.

Seanny One Ball 09-09-2018 08:26 AM

It's incredible

Swiss Ultimate 09-10-2018 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanny One Ball (Post 5169890)
It's incredible

I'm going to watch Bone Tomahawk next. Not sure when I'll find the time though.

Swiss Ultimate 09-10-2018 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMAZON WARLORD (Post 5170199)
I'm going to watch Bone Tomahawk next. Not sure when I'll find the time though.

found it. it was behind my procrastination stand.

Seanny One Ball 09-11-2018 12:19 PM

Bone Tomahawk is also incredible. Zahler apparently has something like 20 scripts trapped in studio development hell so he just makes them himself now.

The b-movie grade prosthetics are a cracking style choice but I feel like without them his films would have more credibility with a wider audience. Doubt Zahler cares, he just turned Vince Vaughn into a badass.

Simple Fan 09-11-2018 02:48 PM

Yep great movie. Wish Vince Vaughn would do more stuff like it.

Simple Fan 09-11-2018 02:50 PM

Believe holy shit was also my reaction after seeing it.

Swiss Ultimate 09-11-2018 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simple Fan (Post 5171033)
Yep great movie. Wish Vince Vaughn would do more stuff like it.

Next movie is Dragged Across Concrete with Vaugn and same director.

Swiss Ultimate 09-11-2018 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanny One Ball (Post 5170995)
Bone Tomahawk is also incredible. Zahler apparently has something like 20 scripts trapped in studio development hell so he just makes them himself now.

The b-movie grade prosthetics are a cracking style choice but I feel like without them his films would have more credibility with a wider audience. Doubt Zahler cares, he just turned Vince Vaughn into a badass.

Some of the gore in Brawl looked a bit cheap, but everything was happening so fucking fast I'm not sure if it was bad or just that the pace was so frantic.

The gore in Bone Tomahawk was almost too much to handle it looked real to me. It's the first time in a long time I felt horror in a horror film.

Simple Fan 09-11-2018 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMAZON WARLORD (Post 5171039)
Next movie is Dragged Across Concrete with Vaugn and same director.

I'll have to check that out.

Looked it up and can't even find a trailer but seen its also got Mel Gibson in it.

Swiss Ultimate 09-11-2018 04:05 PM

I hear the script is out there somewhere, but yeah, I really want to see it now.

Seanny One Ball 09-11-2018 06:41 PM

He has written books, I'm tempted to get some.

Joe Carnahan, Ben Wheatley, Alexander Payne, Mel Gibson, S. Craig Zahler and the McDonagh brothers are some of the top auteurs in film making over the last few years. Studios should hand them millions and just wait for the rewards like they did before Cimino fucked it up for everybody.

Danny Electric 09-12-2018 06:52 AM

Big fan of both of these films. The mood and violence in Bone Tomahwak reminded me a little of The Proposition.

Jordan 09-12-2018 11:30 AM

I thought you guys were being sarcastic and then I realized you weren't. I couldn't take Vince seriously at all, I watched this months ago and barely remember anything about it other than I though it was crap and I wasted my time.

Swiss Ultimate 09-12-2018 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan X (Post 5171318)
I thought you guys were being sarcastic and then I realized you weren't. I couldn't take Vince seriously at all, I watched this months ago and barely remember anything about it other than I though it was crap and I wasted my time.

A lot of people have terrible taste in film. You are not alone.

Seanny One Ball 09-12-2018 08:00 PM

I know more people that hate it than love it. Personally it fills every box I need ticked in a B movie revenge flick.

It is the sort of film Quentin Tarantino has been trying to make for his entire career but his are too much in every direction(too polished, too outlandish, too goddamn big) to be true homages to the films he uses as inspiration/outright steals from.

Swiss Ultimate 09-12-2018 08:27 PM

That's a good observation. QT's attempts at grindhouse were nothing like the real thing.

I just loved the direction the story in Brawl took. I was all set for a long prison stay, a passage of time, but he took it in a direction that surprised me and worked.

Seanny One Ball 09-12-2018 11:39 PM

I thought it was fairly predictable to be honest besides the insane hyper-violence... I really had no idea what was getting snapped off next.

I just think it was an extremely well made genre film that didn't pull any tricks. It was the grindhouse version of "Warrior" almost. A predictable but extremely well made homage to a specific style of film that failed on no level. Stylistic choices like never having people scream are wonderful little touches. Shows everyone was so fucked up they were in shock, unconscious or dead.

Seanny One Ball 09-12-2018 11:40 PM

I think the guy's an artist. I just wonder how he'll style this next one. No happy ending anyway...

Simple Fan 09-13-2018 12:01 AM

Quote:

It was awesome and Vince Vaughns best performance ever in my opinion. Made my top 10 favorite movies.

Swiss Ultimate 09-13-2018 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanny One Ball (Post 5171568)
I thought it was fairly predictable to be honest besides the insane hyper-violence... I really had no idea what was getting snapped off next.

I just think it was an extremely well made genre film that didn't pull any tricks. It was the grindhouse version of "Warrior" almost. A predictable but extremely well made homage to a specific style of film that failed on no level. Stylistic choices like never having people scream are wonderful little touches. Shows everyone was so fucked up they were in shock, unconscious or dead.

I was expecting scenes with long letters to the wife, him sitting in cells for years, etc. So I really didn't see the movie ending in the time span it did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanny One Ball (Post 5171570)
I think the guy's an artist. I just wonder how he'll style this next one. No happy ending anyway...

Two in a row ain't bad. ;)

Simple Fan 09-13-2018 12:48 AM

Haven't see Bone Tomahawk either so I'll have to check it out as well.

Swiss Ultimate 09-13-2018 08:22 AM

I watched both on Amazon Prime. I just got rid of Netflix. Will get it back for the next season of Punisher.

Seanny One Ball 09-13-2018 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simple Fan (Post 5171591)
Haven't see Bone Tomahawk either so I'll have to check it out as well.

Cannibal troglodytes and a rescue party.

It's also wickedly funny.

Blonde Moment 09-13-2018 07:19 PM

Quote:

There are certain combinations that for some reason just work. Perhaps its the shock of an actor playing a role you wouldn't expect with a script that no one would touch. There is a lot of good shit out there as long as you are willing to deal with the occasional Meh.

I think with Vaughn in particular that this was a movie he needed to do much like Stallone in Copland or Williams in One hour Photo.

Seanny One Ball 09-13-2018 07:31 PM

CopLand cost Stallone about nine years worth of roles because studios started to wonder what to do with him. Look at what he did between CopLand and bringing back Rocky/Rambo. He brought them back because CopLand was so under appreciated that people started to question how to use him at all. Spy Kids... Avenging Angelo... Get Carter... all awful.

CopLand is one of his best movies too.

Seanny One Ball 09-13-2018 07:35 PM

One Hour Photo was equally unnecessary for Robin Williams given that for the next twelve years he made no impactful cinema besides as a supporting act in the fairly successful Night At The Museum films.

Then he killed himself.

So yeah, One Hour Photo wasn't a great film nor was his performance particularly interesting.

Seanny One Ball 09-13-2018 07:39 PM

I wonder if there were worse examples you could have picked?

Swiss Ultimate 09-14-2018 04:28 PM

I have recently found that a small but loud contingent of movie "critics" have decided to retroactively hate Fight Club.

It was a great movie, not the best in the world, but it was a great script, beautifully done, and really funny. So they hate it because the fanbase is terrible..which I sorta/kinda understand.

Seanny One Ball 09-14-2018 05:13 PM

I've said this before, Fight Club doesn't hold up well at all. It's best I leave it at that.

Sixx 09-16-2018 06:28 PM

Holy shit, a ripped Vince Vaughn.

Nice job, consideing he's been a fat slob for years.

Swiss Ultimate 09-17-2018 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanny One Ball (Post 5172190)
I've said this before, Fight Club doesn't hold up well at all. It's best I leave it at that.

I still like it. Loved the book too.

Sixx 09-17-2018 10:13 AM

My best friend from the past had a younger brother that had an obsession with fight club. Shit ton of merchandise and he'd watch it daily. We reallysuspected he was masturbating to Brad Pitt.

Swiss Ultimate 09-17-2018 10:28 AM

Brad Pitt really went down hill after that.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/...0&h=500&crop=1

Sixx 09-17-2018 10:44 AM

The fuck are thosepics? How the hell do you even pose on the ground like this?

Swiss Ultimate 09-17-2018 11:37 AM

He looks limber.