TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   wrestling forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   All Elite Wrestling (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=135828)

Jordan 07-18-2019 11:38 AM

Shawn fucking Spears. What a moment! Feels like NWA up in herrrrrrrrrr!

Evil Vito 07-18-2019 11:40 AM

Yeah they really bungled things up with PAC. There's no excuse for them to not know that he wasn't going to eat a pin while still Dragongate champion. To just scrap the match instead of trying to find a creative way around it was shit.

Evil Vito 07-18-2019 11:45 AM

I feel like AEW wanted to establish the time limit draws right away (hence them doing one on their second show) and would have done that in Page/PAC but PAC had just worked draws against Ospreay and ZSJ and the crowd booed the shit out of it each time, so they didn't want to risk that type of reaction.

Thing is though, it was transparent that those time limit draws were the result of neither PAC nor Ospreay/ZSJ being allowed to lose per their home promotion. A Page/PAC draw could've been worked into the story. Maybe a ladder match in Jacksonville for the All Out contract.

Page could've won that, PAC doesn't eat a pin, and they build to the match they wanted without having to welch on the literal first match they announced as a company.

Jordan 07-18-2019 11:53 AM

Yeah that make a lot of sense and would've worked great.

Vastardikai 07-18-2019 04:03 PM

So Luchasaurus has won Cornette over.

Damian Rey 2.0 07-19-2019 01:49 AM

Spears coming off like a million bucks in that promo. A seemingly passing compliment turned into a story. Good stuff. And it felt like a conversation instead of interview. It didn't feel forced or over produced.

Volare 07-19-2019 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vastardikai (Post 5270290)

1:07:34 is the start of the full review. I got a few chuckles.

<iframe width="907" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/W3f-C6_kGMk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rez 07-19-2019 08:26 AM

Just got back from vacay...must watch FFTF

Bad News Gertner 07-19-2019 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destor (Post 5270103)
With the talent pool thats out there in 2019 its going to be difficult. Fewer good workers than ever before...lots of guys with gear though so maybe someone will figure it out.

2 hours a week is a lot to fill each week. You can only watch the Young Bucks try to have Triple H Epic's for so long before it gets old. I'm sure it'll start off strong, but it'll be interesting to see where it's at after a few months, or a key injury.

Evil Vito 07-19-2019 10:21 AM

Their early TVs are going to be pretty tournament-heavy it sounds like. The tag tournament is definitely happening but I also suspect there will be a women's tournament as well.

That'll allow them to spotlight a large chunk of their roster in a structured way for the first few shows, which is a smart move. How things go from there though is anybody's guess.

Jordan 07-19-2019 10:37 AM

I love tournaments, single elimination is great for championship crowning but I really hope AEW will do their own round robin like Champion Carnival and G1.

Bad News Gertner 07-19-2019 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conspiracy Victim Vito (Post 5270510)
Their early TVs are going to be pretty tournament-heavy it sounds like. The tag tournament is definitely happening but I also suspect there will be a women's tournament as well.

That'll allow them to spotlight a large chunk of their roster in a structured way for the first few shows, which is a smart move. How things go from there though is anybody's guess.

Yeah that's what I figured as well. Pretty tournament heavy for the first couple of months.

Bad News Gertner 07-19-2019 10:41 AM

Lol also, you can tell JR is getting pissed about people shitting on his commentary from listening to this weeks Grillin With JR. He was especially ornery to the point where I shut off the podcast.

slik 07-19-2019 11:27 AM

Really hope Alex Marvez is gone from commentary for the weekly shows.

Lock Jaw 07-19-2019 01:32 PM

Said it before, but I kind of want their weekly show to feature no wrestling on it, and be less than an hour.

Evil Vito 07-19-2019 01:33 PM

All Elite Wrestling featuring no wrestling wouldn't go over well

SlickyTrickyDamon 07-19-2019 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lock Jaw (Post 5270592)
Said it before, but I kind of want their weekly show to feature no wrestling on it, and be less than an hour.

Are you Vince Russo?

Mr. Nerfect 07-19-2019 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian Rey 2.0 (Post 5270100)
I think you're just jaded. I don't follow any wrestling and I love what I've seen so far. There are several stories going on, and some multilayered, like a Page/MJF feud, MJF and Cody, MJF/Spears and Spears/Cody, Brandi and her relationship with Kong, Moxley/Omega, and the Bucks and Lucha Bros.

God knows what they're gonna do when they're trying week to week, but so far they've built up 4 matches in 3 shows. I think given how limited they've been without tv they're doing just fine. Certainly interested in how All Out plays and how that leads into tv.

You’re probably right. I loved Cody/Dustin and think MJF is fantastic. I enjoy the idea of the Shawn Spears stuff. I wanted to be psyched by this, but I’ve just fallen wayside. I think once the honeymoon period is over, they’re going to get a shock when they have to be good.

I’m still intrigued by how they do on TV, but I need to take my emotions out of it so I don’t get disappointed, I think.

#1-norm-fan 07-19-2019 10:11 PM

They definitely need to bring all the YouTube content to the weekly show. Those video packages do a better job of building up matches than any in-ring confrontations could. Not showcasing them on the TV show would be a huge mistake.

Lock Jaw 07-19-2019 11:10 PM

Yeah, that's what I mean. I don't watch any of the YouTube stuff because it is "too much work" for an old person like me.... but if it was all just collected and put on TV, and that was their weekly show.... I'd watch that....

Have it like the old whatever show it was where the commentators were in a "newsroom" talking about things and cuing up clips

Then with no wrestling on a weekly basis, I'm much less likely to get tired of it and of the roster.....

Simple Fan 07-20-2019 01:15 AM

So you want a wrestling company to produce a show with no wrestling? That sounds like something WWE is about to with Fox and FS1. I love AEW and BTE YouTube channels but if you're going to TV they need to find a mix between the two, not just focus on one.

You could easily subscribe to those YouTube channels for free and they'd let you know when they post something. What the fuck are you talking about work?

James Steele 07-20-2019 02:05 AM

How hard can it be to write a balanced 2 hour show that features matches and packages/interviews/segments that build characters and further storylines?

Emperor Smeat 07-20-2019 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #1-wwf-fan (Post 5270723)
They definitely need to bring all the YouTube content to the weekly show. Those video packages do a better job of building up matches than any in-ring confrontations could. Not showcasing them on the TV show would be a huge mistake.

The Bucks have mentioned a couple times before that their Being the Elite show very likely will end once tv starts. Road To shows probably going to suffer the same fate since it only exists due to the lack of tv time to build up PPVs.

Been speculated for a while they are going to use a modified or tweaked version of those shows as the creative basis for their weekly tv show.

Bad News Gertner 07-20-2019 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Steele (Post 5270795)
How hard can it be to write a balanced 2 hour show that features matches and packages/interviews/segments that build characters and further storylines?

Pretty hard apparently

#1-norm-fan 07-20-2019 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emperor Smeat (Post 5270812)
The Bucks have mentioned a couple times before that their Being the Elite show very likely will end once tv starts. Road To shows probably going to suffer the same fate since it only exists due to the lack of tv time to build up PPVs.

Been speculated for a while they are going to use a modified or tweaked version of those shows as the creative basis for their weekly tv show.

That’s what they should do. I could care less about Being the Elite but the Road to shows are usually like... 15 minutes? You could easily split that up during a 2 hour show to build stories and characters and help prevent overexposing your stars and watering down your in-ring confrontations. Fill the rest of the show with some live promos, some hot midcard matches, a few enhancement matches and an OCCASIONAL legit main event since you’re not doing monthly PPVs and you’ve got a good show that toes the line between “not feeling major enough” and hotshotting everything in a flash.

Evil Vito 07-20-2019 12:24 PM

Yeah that’s a big thing. We don’t need to go back to Attitude Era-esque two minute matches, but there needs to be a happy medium between that and what WWE are doing now. WWE still haven’t worked out why PPVs don’t feel special when they’re putting their top talent in 20 minute matches for free every week.

Damian Rey 2.0 07-20-2019 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #1-wwf-fan (Post 5270827)
That’s what they should do. I could care less about Being the Elite but the Road to shows are usually like... 15 minutes? You could easily split that up during a 2 hour show to build stories and characters and help prevent overexposing your stars and watering down your in-ring confrontations. Fill the rest of the show with some live promos, some hot midcard matches, a few enhancement matches and an OCCASIONAL legit main event since you’re not doing monthly PPVs and you’ve got a good show that toes the line between “not feeling major enough” and hotshotting everything in a flash.

You mean they shouldn't give away tag and multi man matches where two guys feuding wrestle and physically interact every week while trading wins before their big showdown?

Bad News Gertner 07-20-2019 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conspiracy Victim Vito (Post 5270829)
Yeah that’s a big thing. We don’t need to go back to Attitude Era-esque two minute matches, but there needs to be a happy medium between that and what WWE are doing now. WWE still haven’t worked out why PPVs don’t feel special when they’re putting their top talent in 20 minute matches for free every week.

They also have 3 hour Raws to fill each week.

#1-norm-fan 07-20-2019 04:35 PM

And a roster of 100+. The 3 hours excuse would carry more weight if they had a small roster at their disposal to fill the time with. More time should equate to more guys up and down the card getting exposure.

The show would still be too long. It’s just no excuse to have to feature the top 5 main event guys against each other every week before doing it on PPV twice a month, too.

Mr. Nerfect 07-20-2019 08:26 PM

I am definitely an advocate for shorter TV matches, saving the money load for PPVs and huge events. Gerty is right that WWE can’t do that the same way. This is why AEW, ideally, came around at a perfect time.

One thing I really hope they avoid is booking for the “IWC” though. What does that even mean? There are people in that group that think Matt Hardy spitting magic is awesome but Brock Lesnar is a shit worker. There people who love Joey Ryan but feel that Roman Reigns is hack. You’ve got to be real careful playing to their opinions like they are anything other than divisive and sometimes even just wrong.

Seanny One Ball 07-21-2019 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vastardikai (Post 5270290)

With one gimmick in the ring it's not goofy but with a ring full of gimmicks it's absurd...
That's exactly the opposite of his stance on giants.

I disagree, I think Luchasaurus looks fine both ways. There aren't really any gimmicks that can outdo his look and oddly enough I don't think he looks particularly goofy even with the mask. That battle royal looked shit because the people involved were all doing stupid things one after another and a lot of the gimmicks are just outright bad.

Luchasaurus seems cool enough to avoid looking silly like that. He's a big bastard with a mask that can wrestle and that gets over when the dude looks good.

#1-norm-fan 07-21-2019 11:13 AM

Yeah, Luchasaurus actually stood out to me in the battle royal as more than the clown show going on around him. I didn’t put him on n the same boat as the rest.

Vastardikai 07-21-2019 12:38 PM

My take on the guy was that he can be a huge draw with the kids.

Seanny One Ball 07-21-2019 03:51 PM

I'm kind of baffled as to why WWE didn't try this in 1993 to hop on the Jurassic Park gravy train. Maybe they did and decided they couldn't afford to get sued over it...

James Steele 07-21-2019 04:27 PM

Well, remember when WCW tried to jump on the Mortal Kombat train? It isn’t a guaranteed success.

Seanny One Ball 07-21-2019 05:05 PM

That's completely besides the point...

If you're talking about failed gimmicks WWE has the market sewn up on that. I'm talking about the early-mid 90's at possibly the most densely saturated point of gimmickry in WWE history they didn't say fuck it and throw a Luchasaurus in there. He probably would have looked like Barney though.

Actually I'm surprised they didn't get Barney involved.

#1-norm-fan 07-21-2019 05:18 PM

Jurassic Park came out in ‘93. Duke Droese was signed the following year. Could have easily made him Duke “The Dino”. Instead Vince was years behind the times even then and went with “The Dumpster” to take advantage of the garbage man craze started 4 years earlier by the Sheen/Estevez classic “Men at Work”.

James Steele 07-21-2019 05:42 PM

Was really hoping somebody would have posted a Best of Glacier highlight by now.

Bad News Gertner 07-21-2019 05:43 PM

Remember when Glacier became Coach Buzz Stern

SlickyTrickyDamon 07-21-2019 05:46 PM

I was barely watching WCW at that point but yes.