TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   entertainment forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Watching Spawn right now (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=99332)

Jeritron 02-02-2010 12:09 AM

Watching Spawn right now

Haven't seen it since I rented it on VHS in like 1998.

Remembering it being shit but I'm actually enjoying it right now. Still is kinda shit though

I think they should reboot Spawn properly

Juan 02-02-2010 12:11 AM

John Leguizamo is the man

Jeritron 02-02-2010 12:34 AM

He's also The Pest

Reavant 02-02-2010 12:45 AM

spawn is something that needs to be REALLY dark and gritty and they went half way comical with it

Fignuts 02-02-2010 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reavant (Post 2922958)
spawn is something that needs to be REALLY dark and gritty and they went half way comical with it

been a long time since I saw it, but I remember clown being the only comical part about it. Which is actually dead on, as he is often the comic relief in the book.

Jeritron 02-02-2010 12:48 AM

plus its cheesy and simplified like an average 90s action movie. I feel like Spawn should be a mix between Batman Begins and Se7en, only with Spawn.

Reavant 02-02-2010 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts (Post 2922964)
been a long time since I saw it, but I remember clown being the only comical part about it. Which is actually dead on, as he is often the comic relief in the book.

no spawn was making jokes and being real hokey too

Reavant 02-02-2010 12:56 AM

like calling cogliostro 'yoda'

Jeritron 02-02-2010 01:00 AM

Yea this movie is bad. It's all over the fucking place.

The other thing that sucks is 80% of the movie is just Spawn and The Clown arguing about shit that has no relevance. Then they're just jumping around from different locations, some of them hell and some of them not?
Sometimes hell is the awful firey CGI world, then its a gothic cathedral like something out of Dark City, and then it's alleyways like the narrows in Batman Begins. And Miko Hughes is eating rotting food and arguing with his dad.
Then its jumping from Spawn as a homeless guy, to Spawn as Spawn, and random scenes with his family in between.

Just horribly paced and written. I was kind of into it as an action flick at the beginning, but now my head hurts.

Fignuts 02-02-2010 01:02 AM

Spawn made jokes sometimes. As long as he isn't cracking them out like spider-man, I don't see anything wrong with a one-liner here or there.

I'll take that over the whiny emo bitch comic spawn anyway.

"oh boo-hoo. I got ressurected as a walking corpse and my best friend married my wife. woe is me"

Man the fuck up, dude.

Jeritron 02-02-2010 01:03 AM

Pros: Spawn's suit looks great and there are machine guns

Reavant 02-02-2010 01:05 AM

spawn made jokes in the comments in a bad ass way usually while killing a guy like rubbing his dominance in their face or calling violator his bitch.

Anyway... if you guys ever saw the HBO animated spawn series, thats how a live action should be done

Reavant 02-02-2010 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeritron (Post 2922985)
Pros: Spawn's suit looks great and there are machine guns

i actually hated the suit

Jeritron 02-02-2010 01:08 AM

I haven't seen the HBO animated series. I want to watch it now.

Jeritron 02-02-2010 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reavant (Post 2922987)
i actually hated the suit

Well, the CGI cape looks awful. I dunno though, I kinda like the look of the mask and the eyes.
I like that it doesn't look sleak like a Batman suit, but it's sort of organic looking

Reavant 02-02-2010 01:18 AM

i didnt think it was imposing enough.... it was like spiderman with chained tenticles

Jeritron 02-02-2010 01:32 AM

They could have put a better actor in it too

Fignuts 02-02-2010 01:54 AM

Dunno, the spandex look works on paper, but it would be hard to pull off a tragic hellspawn in live action with it.

Fignuts 02-02-2010 01:56 AM

spandex in live action works better on more upbeat characters like spider-man and superman, but on darker, more intimidating guys like batman and spawn, it looks silly.

Jeritron 02-02-2010 02:00 AM

I agree with Fignuts

Sixx 02-02-2010 08:50 AM

If they chose to 'reboot' Spawn, they would probably cast Samuel Jackson, which would be horrible.

Reavant 02-02-2010 10:07 AM

noooo i dont mean have the skin tight spandex... the actor behind the mask needs to be bigger.... i guess i could have used a better example. Venom in spiderman 3. putting topher grace in the venom suit was just silly.

Spawn is supposed to be a lot taller than when he was still alive as al simmons.

Also a lot of his power came from his cape and the only times he doesnt have his cape is when he turns it into weaponry like agony (his axe). He barely ever had his cape drawn in the movie and thats one of the biggest parts of his look/character.

Rammsteinmad 02-02-2010 10:22 AM

It's a good film, and pretty loyal to the comics, but sadly it reeks of a terrible 90's B-movie, with terrible CGI (despite when it came out).

The film and the sets were dark and gothic, but had a flat 'cardboard' feel to them. I can't explain it, but it just felt very comical.

Spawn is definitely something that should be redone now. It should be like the cartoon though, only live. It needs more violence and adult themes such as sex and bad language. Also better fight scenes would be nice, Spawn didn't really live up to his full potential in the film as he was kinda learning how to use his powers.

parkmania 02-03-2010 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juan (Post 2922907)
John Leguizamo is the man

Sorry, but we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one, unless you accidentally forgot to add the last half of the sentence "John Leguizamo is the man who deserves to die the most out of all the actors in this film."

Destor 05-29-2018 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeritron (Post 2922904)
Haven't seen it since I rented it on VHS in like 1998.

Remembering it being shit but I'm actually enjoying it right now. Still is kinda shit though

I think they should reboot Spawn properly

Well Jerry early reports are saying Jamie Fox has been cast to play Spawn. :wavesad:

Sixx 05-29-2018 05:29 PM

Yeah, Foxx is a bad choice, too.

Helmsphere 05-29-2018 05:47 PM

I loved the movie as a teenager and still will watch it from time to time.

Plus it has Martin Sheen in it, as the Illusive Un-Illusive Man

Rammsteinmad 05-29-2018 05:55 PM

I won't hold my breath. I'm sure every two years or so there's new updates or something and then it goes nowhere. Would have loved to see a new, darker and grown-up Spawn movie, but by this point I don't really care anymore.

Which makes me wonder... is the character still a shit hot property like he was in the 90's?

Sixx 05-29-2018 06:07 PM

I remember being heartbroken when I learned there was a black guy underneath the mask.

But I only ever read a few books, film sucked and I don't give a shit if it ever gets remade.

Destor 05-29-2018 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SixxT9 (Post 5128388)
Yeah, Foxx is a bad choice, too.

Wouldnt have been my first choice but he's a good actor with star status.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rammsteinmad (Post 5128391)
I won't hold my breath. I'm sure every two years or so there's new updates or something and then it goes nowhere. Would have loved to see a new, darker and grown-up Spawn movie, but by this point I don't really care anymore.

Which makes me wonder... is the character still a shit hot property like he was in the 90's?

Movie is def happening and has been this whole time. Movies take a lot longer when a studio isnt back backing you.

The spawn property isnt hot per se but the IP does have a lot depth that would work on the big screen if adapted right.

Sixx 05-29-2018 06:21 PM

I didn't say Foxx was a bad actor, just doesn't fit the role. In my book, at least.

Destor 05-29-2018 08:32 PM

Im interested in seeing if foxx can be dark enough to pull this off. Simmons is so flat and broody...like i said not my first choice but ill watch it.

Tom Guycott 05-29-2018 11:19 PM

Meh. I'm still more interested in how the supposed cartoon resurrection will turn out (if it actually happens), be it remake, reboot, or straight up new season.

Also, as much as I would also like to shit on the idea of Jamie Foxx for not seeming like the right guy, we are all assuming he's going to be cast as Al Simmons. Movie could swerve us all and it be one of the countless other Hellspawn that took the faustian deal throughout history. That would make for an interesting wrinkle.

Django Rechained

Destor 05-29-2018 11:36 PM

There's a production company attached now, its happening. Live action horror film. McFarlane already stated he doesnt think the spawn story has ben properly told and that he intends to.

Also Foxx is spawn mark and approached McFarlane about playing the role.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...-cast-him.html

Theres a clear vision. I hope it finds an audience. Source material is great.

Tom Guycott 05-30-2018 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destor (Post 5128702)
There's a production company attached now, its happening. Live action horror film. McFarlane already stated he doesnt think the spawn story has ben properly told and that he intends to.

Also Foxx is spawn mark and approached McFarlane about playing the role.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...-cast-him.html

Theres a clear vision. I hope it finds an audience. Source material is great.

Well, that's something he's always maintained forever. Especially with all the noted consessions he had to make for the original movie to get the green light, from the "toning down" of elements, even in an R rated film, to having to change most of the cast from being black, and still being in the dark ages of comic book movies that wouldn't actually truly shift until X-Men, there was a lot working against what he wanted, and the feeling was "I guess getting a compromised movie made is better than no movie".

Noble effort on Jamie's part. Hope he can change minds. We'll see. But, I for one am not convinced he can.

Seanny One Ball 06-02-2018 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destor (Post 5128400)
Wouldnt have been my first choice but he's a good actor with star status.

He's an actor that lucked his way into an Oscar win and has done nothing particularly good since then as a leading man.
His paychecks are probably bigger but he's in a worse position than he was before Ray was made.

Stealth took all of his star status with it.

If you want to reboot Spawn you get Michael B Jordan, he's in every other fucking thing.

Destor 06-02-2018 11:57 AM

He wont get a very large paycheck out of this that's for certain

Tom Guycott 06-03-2018 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanny One Ball (Post 5129569)
He's an actor that lucked his way into an Oscar win and has done nothing particularly good since then as a leading man.
His paychecks are probably bigger but he's in a worse position than he was before Ray was made.

Stealth took all of his star status with it.

If you want to reboot Spawn you get Michael B Jordan, he's in every other fucking thing.

Jesus. I forgot that movie existed. The only other films I could think of (besides his Electro role) was Collateral and the two times he appeared as Django.

Destor 06-15-2018 09:53 AM

Reports are saying Spawn will not speak in the upcoming film. Leaning toward spawn being a firm horror film.

Seanny One Ball 06-15-2018 10:35 AM

He should probably have an inner monologue or narration though surely?