TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   wrestling forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Dark Side of The Ring Discussion Thread (Warning: Spoilers) (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=136972)

Gerard 09-17-2021 04:54 PM

So Michael Hayes slept through it all? Was it not previously mentioned he was so shitfaced he almost pissed on Linda thinking he was in the toilet? Or was that a different flight?

slik 09-17-2021 05:32 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Bam Bam in 1998 talking about Ric Flair. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PlaneRideFromHell?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#PlaneRideFromHell</a> <a href="https://t.co/pMuEp3pArP">pic.twitter.com/pMuEp3pArP</a></p>&mdash; sam (@NVRBEENONVOGUE) <a href="https://twitter.com/NVRBEENONVOGUE/status/1438793013959041026?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 17, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Seanny One Ball 09-17-2021 05:47 PM

Watched it just there and that’s one of the truly dark episodes - nothing funny about any of it.
Just like Brody, the events are all individually well known but when you put them together in the timeline it actually looks horrific. Everything that flight attendant said speaks to an un-healed trauma and alongside it you have Jim Ross looking genuinely stunned when they asked him about Flair escaping unpunished. You can see him actually make the decision to be honest right there and then, so Tommy Dreamer looks like a complete scumbag when he gets chopped in saying it’s all nonsense.

The show felt 90 minutes long to me given how heavy it was. I don’t think I’ll ever watch this one again, it has given me too much to think about.

Rob Van Dam came out of it looking pretty decent...if only he had a reason for watching Ric instead of stopping him but I suppose not cheering him on makes him the hero of the tale.

Gerard 09-17-2021 05:57 PM

Dreamer talks about still having his hair at 50, after numerous transplants...that fact slipped his mind.

Emperor Smeat 09-17-2021 06:03 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here’s a video of Ric Flair flashing flight attendants being portrayed in two separate WWE productions—the &quot;30 For 30” episode they co-produced with ESPN and an episode of Story Time on WWE Network—as a happy fun time worthy of happy fun time cartoon portrayals with jaunty music. <a href="https://t.co/IzTqiUaVHH">pic.twitter.com/IzTqiUaVHH</a></p>&mdash; David Bixenspan (@davidbix) <a href="https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1438690453222825986?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 17, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The stuff about Ric Flair's infamous antics during the flight isn't that surprising since even both WWE and ESPN mentioned that being a habit of his before in recent shows they've produced but what made Dark Side's episode way more damaging was them managing to actually get the flight attendant who was harassed by him for their show. That turned his antics from being something of an immature gag and chuckle to something way more serious in tone.

Only reason the current heat on Flair isn't even bigger is due to Dreamer taking some of the spotlight away because of his moronic takes over the incident.

Triple A 09-17-2021 07:27 PM

Quote:

RIC FLAIR CAR SHIELD COMMERCIAL CAMPAIGN PAUSED FOLLOWING 'DARK SIDE OF THE RING' ALLEGATIONS

By Mike Johnson on 2021-09-17 17:23:00

The fallout of last night's Dark Side of the Ring episode on "The Plane Ride from Hell" has continued, PWInsider.com has exclusively confirm.

The Car Shield commercial campaign featuring the WWE Hall of Famer as the star of a number off spots for the brand has been "paused."

A spokesperson for Intermedia, the advertising agency which handles Car Shield's commercials told PWInsider.com:

"We take these matters very seriously. As of right now, we are pausing the campaign and we will do our due diligence."

PWInsider.com is also told there is currently no timetable for the spots to return to the airwaves and that the commercial will soon disappear pending additional investigation and decisions.

In the documentary, a flight attendant on the 2002 WWE "Plane Ride from Hell" from London to the United States stated that Ric Flair, naked with the exception of his robe, cornered her in the galley of the plane, making unwanted advances towards her.

In the past, Flair has denied all allegations and as recently as several days ago, told Renee Young on her podcast, " God, I’ve heard about it too. Just when things are going good for me. Listen, you [Renee Paquette] put me on your podcast after. We’ll see how it plays out, because I was there and I don’t care whose name I gotta drop if the heat falls on me. I know who was where and what and who and what took place. I know the whole story."

https://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=150870

Jordan 09-17-2021 07:57 PM

Flair is bringing someone down with him!

#1-norm-fan 09-17-2021 10:46 PM

How is Dreamer getting more shit for defending Flair than Lesnar is for actually pulling a “Flair”? lol

ron the dial 09-17-2021 10:47 PM

cuz terri no sold it

ron the dial 09-17-2021 10:48 PM

???

#1-norm-fan 09-17-2021 10:55 PM

If that makes it alright then that would explain Flair’s interest in AEW. He can show his dick to The Bucks all he wants. They don’t sell shit.

Seanny One Ball 09-17-2021 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #1-wwf-fan (Post 5480659)
How is Dreamer getting more shit for defending Flair than Lesnar is for actually pulling a “Flair”? lol

Man, she fucked New Jack.
Terri is a step above Missy Hyatt and Tammy Sytch in the public eye.

She’d find it hard getting sympathy for anything.

xrodmuc316 09-18-2021 12:32 AM

A day late to watching, but I think I only heard 2 new things.

Hayes punching a sleeping JBL and Dustin spitting his chewing tobacco in the back of the seat, both are quite tame compared to what was already known forever.

I feel like they only included Terri's story of Brock flashing just to set the tone of "wrestlers" do this all the time for the sake of telling the Flair story.

The only real interesting thing from this episode is Dreamer being so defensive of Flair, and Impact's reaction to it.

Id also have to check the timeline since I dont recall, but Jericho as the narrator acting like that is all beneath him when he is one of the all time drunks, I mean come on lol. If he was on that flight he was loaded, guaranteed!

xrodmuc316 09-18-2021 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple A (Post 5480595)
https://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=150870

NOOOO LA Knight needs that spotlight now that Vince is in charge of NXT and had him job twice the first show :(

xrodmuc316 09-18-2021 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #1-wwf-fan (Post 5480667)
If that makes it alright then that would explain Flair’s interest in AEW. He can show his dick to The Bucks all he wants. They don’t sell shit.

This gets all the rep :rofl:

Evil Vito 09-18-2021 12:51 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Next week’s episode of <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/darksideofthering?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#darksideofthering</a> is on Chris Kanyon and might not paint Ric Flair in the best light either. Clip thread under this post. <a href="https://t.co/uiEN7et5Ly">pic.twitter.com/uiEN7et5Ly</a></p>&mdash; Wrestling News (@WrestlingNewsCo) <a href="https://twitter.com/WrestlingNewsCo/status/1438942399464681492?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 17, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#1-norm-fan 09-18-2021 03:04 PM

I remember that interview. Honestly, outside of him kinda off-handedly calling Kanyon’s sexuality a choice, I don’t think Flair came off too bad. Kanyon was adamant that he was let go because he was gay. Flair argued that wasn’t the reason. And I kinda side with Flair. Regardless though, he wasn’t being horribly offensive or anything.

Triple A 09-18-2021 03:15 PM

Same, also have seen that whole video before... feel like that interview was extremely tame compared to the other stuff he's accused of

erickman 09-18-2021 04:27 PM

it may be hard for darkside of the ring to get interviews for next season wrestlers don't want to screw up like dreamer did.

Mr. Nerfect 09-18-2021 05:24 PM

I think it’s safe to say that Ric Flair won’t be in AEW any time soon. And Andrade’s career is pretty much dead in the water.

Eh, wrestling has gotten away with so much for so long. None of this is news, but under new light with younger eyes and fresher cultural attitudes, shit is getting called out. Paul Wight might find himself in trouble too, although he could possibly claim to have grown up and changed.

I cannot believe Vince McMahon’s scandals have not been revisited.

Mr. Nerfect 09-18-2021 05:40 PM

Heard that Vince and Taker really take a beating in the Kanyon episode. I don’t know how true or not true Kanyon’s version of events are versus the reality of wrestling, but any fallout from it (if any) is going to be interesting to watch.

Jordan 09-18-2021 05:43 PM

I hope they don't cancel Taker Wine!

Mr. Nerfect 09-18-2021 05:52 PM

It’ll be genuinely interesting to see what, if any, repercussions there are for the attention some of these stories get.

Triple A 09-18-2021 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Nerfect (Post 5480820)
Paul Wight might find himself in trouble too, although he could possibly claim to have grown up and changed.

What's Paul Wight accused of?

Mr. Nerfect 09-18-2021 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple A (Post 5480834)
What's Paul Wight accused of?

It was in his WCW days. He approached a woman at a bar or something, asked her “Do you know why they call me The Giant?” and proceeded to take his dick out and put it on her shoulder. The boys covered it up for him.

He was young at the time, and the dude has had a very public life and I can’t remember anything THAT bad ever happening again. But he did have quite a few legal issues in his WCW years.

Damian Rey 2.0 09-18-2021 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #1-wwf-fan (Post 5480659)

This is a great point

Damian Rey 2.0 09-18-2021 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erickman (Post 5480797)
it may be hard for darkside of the ring to get interviews for next season wrestlers don't want to screw up like dreamer did.

They pay people to come on and if wrestling has shown me anything, people will do mostly anything to get paid in the rasslin business

Bad News Gertner 09-18-2021 09:01 PM

I don't think they pay people

Mr. Nerfect 09-18-2021 09:52 PM

On Brock Lesnar: The chips will fall where they may. I hate the excuse that the “boys will be boys.” But he was basically an impressionable kid in a ridiculous culture. Not defending what he did. But I see people defending Dustin as someone that has “grown” and cleaned himself up since those incidents. Brock fucking hated wrestling for a reason, and he’s possibly changed too. Still a fucking caricature of a manly man, but I think there is a subconscious reason that men in their 50’s are being called out for being absolute cunts versus a jock in his mid-20’s for doing something horrible in a culturally bankrupt environment.

Not an excuse. I’m just trying to lay out an explanation for why the heat might be going where it’s going. If Brock *defended* it now? Big difference. Dreamer is making that shit seem harmless *now*, instead of just shutting the fuck up and showing remorse.

Mr. Nerfect 09-18-2021 09:56 PM

This sort of nightmare is why the ratings and the demos and all that shit don’t matter like people celebrate them mattering. Wrestling can be a fucking trash fire. Ric Flair was, in all likelihood, about to debut in AEW. He might even already technically be under contract, publicly known or not, and collecting tens of thousands of dollars a week from the Khans. They might distance themselves now, but it could still ring hollow to advertisers, executives, fans and commentators. Could you blame a company for not wanting to prop up wrestling — AEW or WWE — with a platform, or advertisers desperately wanting to avoid being associated with this carny bullshit?

And I’m not about to pretend I’ve been here calling for Ric Flair’s head. This shit makes hypocrites of us all. And it’s just ugly. And it’s why Nike, their problematic shit aside, doesn’t give a fuck about catering to me. Or you. They want us to buy their shit, but they don’t want to see us actually wearing it.

Seanny One Ball 09-19-2021 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Gertner of TPWW (Post 5480874)
I don't think they pay people

Somebody is paying somebody

Juan 09-19-2021 01:13 AM

lol that guy they had play Ric Flair is ridiculous

Mr. Nerfect 09-19-2021 01:29 AM

Just thinking about how surreal it is that as a community, if you can collectively lump people in together that way, we all knew about this but just...ignored it.

Seanny One Ball 09-19-2021 01:37 AM

You can’t blame the audience for off-screen incidents.
I love wrestling but I’m not putting old men on a pedestal when it comes down to this sort of thing.
I fully expect Shawn Michaels to get what’s coming to him soon enough. I mean you can only shave so many heads after date rape before somebody speaks up in front of a camera that films HD.

They’ll find a victim eventually.

Noid 09-19-2021 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Nerfect (Post 5480878)
On Brock Lesnar: The chips will fall where they may. I hate the excuse that the “boys will be boys.” But he was basically an impressionable kid in a ridiculous culture. Not defending what he did. But I see people defending Dustin as someone that has “grown” and cleaned himself up since those incidents. Brock fucking hated wrestling for a reason, and he’s possibly changed too. Still a fucking caricature of a manly man, but I think there is a subconscious reason that men in their 50’s are being called out for being absolute cunts versus a jock in his mid-20’s for doing something horrible in a culturally bankrupt environment.

Not an excuse. I’m just trying to lay out an explanation for why the heat might be going where it’s going. If Brock *defended* it now? Big difference. Dreamer is making that shit seem harmless *now*, instead of just shutting the fuck up and showing remorse.

I feel similarly about Brock Lesnar. Even though he was young and in a tough spot, it doesn't excuse what he did to Runnels. Besides that, he's had a lot of unsavory things to say about minorities and those who lead alternative lifestyles.

Noid 09-19-2021 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanny One Ball (Post 5480915)
You can’t blame the audience for off-screen incidents.
I love wrestling but I’m not putting old men on a pedestal when it comes down to this sort of thing.
I fully expect Shawn Michaels to get what’s coming to him soon enough. I mean you can only shave so many heads after date rape before somebody speaks up in front of a camera that films HD.

They’ll find a victim eventually.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

I don't believe I can purchase merchandise in good faith anymore.

Seanny One Ball 09-19-2021 02:44 AM

The real Noid wouldn’t have said that in two lines.

Bad News Gertner 09-19-2021 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Gertner of TPWW (Post 5480343)
There shouldn't be any shortage of guys willing to talk. Jim Ross, Sean Waltman, Justin Credible, Dustin Rhodes have all spoken at length about this. I don't imagine this will be a groundbreaking episode. Kind of a light episode like Brawl 4 All. Kurt Angle would be a very cool get.

Haha well I was wrong there

Seanny One Ball 09-19-2021 10:37 AM

It started off with Bradshaw getting punched so...

IC Champion 09-19-2021 10:38 AM

Imagine surprised to learn Ric Flair is a possible sexual predator.