TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   entertainment forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Rate the last album(s) you listened to (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=96251)

Downunder 11-13-2009 08:36 PM

Them Crooked Vultures

5/10

I was underwhelmed

el bobbo 11-14-2009 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Downunder (Post 2809987)
Them Crooked Vultures

5/10

I was underwhelmed

I have to disagree with you. I'm going to give it an 8.5/9 out of ten.

Most modern rock bands do not have the balls to make an album like this (ala Breaking Benjamin, Papa Roach, Sick Puppies) The fact that two established 90's vets and a rock god from the 70's took this long to make such an awesome "modern rock" record says a lot about the abysmal state of the music industry/why I have been listening to a lot of indie and electronic lately.

ron the dial 11-15-2009 07:51 PM

tegan & sara - sainthood

7/10

far more upbeat than their last album, which i enjoy a great deal. i didn't like it as much on first listen, but after a few spins i'm sold on it. still don't think it's as good as the con, but it's also not such a buzzkill. the ocean and someday are probably my favorites

Inadequacy 11-15-2009 07:57 PM

Nana Grizol - Love It Love It

8/10

It's like super cutesy, but that's what I was looking for so good stuff.

The Fraze 11-18-2009 02:25 AM

Bob Dylan - The Times They Are A-Changin'

9/10

This record was masterfully put together. Dylan had a true sense of the times and he often portrayed his knowledge in his songwriting. This album was released in 1964. The amazing thing is, things had not begun to change just yet until after Dylan wrote The Times They Are A-Changin'. Why I think that is amazing is because because he was such a smart person, he basically predicted change to come before it actually did. A savvy album.

I rated it 9 out of 10 because no album can ever be absolutely perfect. But this is as close as they come.

Indifferent Clox 11-18-2009 03:14 AM

blonde on blonde and blood on the tracks are superior

The Fraze 11-18-2009 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indifferent Clox (Post 2815888)
blonde on blonde and blood on the tracks are superior

Yeah that's into his electric stuff. He didn't introduce the electric guitar to his music until 1965 at the Newport Folk Festival. I'm very much into his Folk more so. I love the acoustic guitar and harmonica he uses. I actually haven't heard much of his electric material.

Indifferent Clox 11-18-2009 05:26 AM

Those albums have acoustic and harmonic stuff

I have the royal albert hall concert

El Vaquero de Infierno 11-19-2009 04:33 PM

Minamo - Kuroi Kawa (Black River)

Improv music for violin and piano.

7/10

RGWhat316 11-24-2009 02:09 AM

I picked up the new Flyleaf - Memento Mori the other day. Actually some more religious stuff on this album, and some more melodic, so I dont like it as much as their last one. 6/10

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o7Aw15IKccw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o7Aw15IKccw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Impeccable 11-25-2009 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el bobbo (Post 2810221)
I have to disagree with you. I'm going to give it an 8.5/9 out of ten.

Most modern rock bands do not have the balls to make an album like this (ala Breaking Benjamin, Papa Roach, Sick Puppies) The fact that two established 90's vets and a rock god from the 70's took this long to make such an awesome "modern rock" record says a lot about the abysmal state of the music industry/why I have been listening to a lot of indie and electronic lately.

This:y:

GD 11-29-2009 04:46 PM

Battle Studies- John Mayer

7.5/10

El Vaquero de Infierno 11-30-2009 07:38 AM

bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA

8.5/10

GD 11-30-2009 12:05 PM

The Beatles- Revolver (LP)

10/10.

DaveWadding 11-30-2009 03:31 PM

crushed through

Mastodon - Crack the Skye - 9.5/10 (Oblivion) - Really really great album. Loved the whole thing.

Halford - III: Winter Songs - 7.5/10 (Christmas is for Everyone) - I was pleasantly surprised at the metal-ness of it. Kind of reminded me of TSO on the standards, but not as good.

Cream - Wheels of Fire - 10/10 (White Room, Politician, Crossroads) - I just listened to the studio side because I wasnt really in the mood for extended live jams, but it's a pure classic. One of my favorites.

El Vaquero de Infierno 11-30-2009 07:02 PM

Mindy Smith - Stupid Love

6.5/10

It is decent enough, but doesn't compare to "One Moment More" or "Long Island Shores".

blake639raw 12-01-2009 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru Dave (Post 2835347)
The Beatles- Revolver (LP)

10/10.

Probably my favorite Beatles album behind the White Album.

Fabien Barthez 12-06-2009 02:42 PM

Them crooked Vultures

7/10

It's one of the best sounding rock bands I have ever heard. It's full of really sick hooks and riffs, and I love Homme's voice.... But there are only 2 or 3 really good songs, the rest are blazé and the lyrics are pretty much forgettable.

The Strokes - Is This It

10/10

Every song is beautiful. The Lo-fi electic indie sound was virtually invented with this record. Julian's voice is so unique and lazily perfect and suits the music of the band so well. I put it on because I saw it was top of the NME best albums of the decade, and because they are touring next year, and after listening to it for the first time in a while, it's hard to argue against it.

Indifferent Clox 12-07-2009 09:25 AM

Are you kidding? that is one of my fav albums, but Guided by voices was doing thatlo fi a while back.

It was pitchfork's number 3 as well

FakeLaser 12-07-2009 01:14 PM

Real Estate - Real Estate
8/10

Indifferent Clox 12-07-2009 01:58 PM

gooood album

Fabien Barthez 12-07-2009 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indifferent Clox (Post 2844931)
Are you kidding? that is one of my fav albums, but Guided by voices was doing thatlo fi a while back.

It was pitchfork's number 3 as well

But did they influence a generation and guild a genre? No. So fuck off with your knowledge laddy.

Indifferent Clox 12-07-2009 09:35 PM

It's probably one of my fav albums of all time.

Indifferent Clox 12-07-2009 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fabien Barthez (Post 2845867)
But did they influence a generation and guild a genre? No. So fuck off with your knowledge laddy.

Yes on both accounts. they influenced the strokes, the microphones, and a lot of the elephant bands. GBV is one of the bands that influenced the entire indie culture.

Whatever though. The strokes one album is better than most GBV albums and at least on par with bee thousand if not better. Probably better.

Kapoutman 12-07-2009 10:52 PM

Pearl Jam - Backspacer

Finally got around to listening to it. Not bad, but it didn't hook me as much as their last album did. The first single especially left me pretty cold, but I'd give it a good 6.5/10 overall.

Fabien Barthez 12-08-2009 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indifferent Clox (Post 2846059)
Yes on both accounts. they influenced the strokes, the microphones, and a lot of the elephant bands. GBV is one of the bands that influenced the entire indie culture.

Whatever though. The strokes one album is better than most GBV albums and at least on par with bee thousand if not better. Probably better.

The entire indie culture. Lol.

Before The Strokes, the vast majority of the indie culture was in England, where GBV are pretty much obscure at best.

Indifferent Clox 12-08-2009 08:14 PM

What are you talking about? You are showing your ignorance here and should probably just stop.

Fabien Barthez 12-08-2009 09:02 PM

Well why don't you use all your infalliable knowledge to tell me about US indie from around 97 to 01? I cannot wait to be educated.....

Indifferent Clox 12-08-2009 09:48 PM

Well besides Pavement, bonnie Prince Billy, Neutral Milk HOtel, Jesus and Mary Chain, My bloody valentine, The Jesus Lizard, all of elephant 6 just about, modest mouse, the microphones, dismemberment plan, Sonic Youth, grandaddy, sebadoh, WILCO, built to spill, spoon, and a hell of a bunch of others I guess you are right.

mitch_h 12-09-2009 09:02 PM

Not that I disagree with you Clox, but just from glancing at your list I can see two bands that aren't American.

Indifferent Clox 12-09-2009 09:46 PM

Lol, I just started naming off late nineties indie bands. I know a whole bunch more, but I didn't think it would be fair to actually look them up or it'd be cheating. Probably not cheating, but I would have felt kind of dickish for actually looking up information. being informed would be a huge advantage against fabien in this conversation.

Fabien Barthez 12-10-2009 01:46 AM

The only bands you listed either weren't or aren't big enough to have been a notable influence on modern indie bands, in the context we are discussing, weren't classed as indie in the first place, or both.

My point is, guided by voices did little to influence The Strokes. It's blaitantly all 70's guitar bands and 80's electro bands. they say so themselves.

El Vaquero de Infierno 12-10-2009 11:10 AM

Radiohead - Ok computer

8/10

After years of refusing to check out radiohead due to my hate towards gimpy-eyed Thom Yorke, I finally bit the bullet and bought this album. I have to say I actually quite liked it. It is not the greatest thing since sliced bread, like some people seem to believe, but it is a good album none the less.

The Gooch 12-10-2009 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Vaquero de Infierno (Post 2850807)
Radiohead - Ok computer

8/10

After years of refusing to check out radiohead due to my hate towards gimpy-eyed Thom Yorke, I finally bit the bullet and bought this album. I have to say I actually quite liked it. It is not the greatest thing since sliced bread, like some people seem to believe, but it is a good album none the less.

I thought it was just OK when I first heard it. Continue to listen to it and I think it really grows on you. See them live and then it becomes amazing. I felt the same way with The Bends album it got better after time and a live show.

Requiem 12-10-2009 01:29 PM

Them Crooked Vultures - 8/10

Like it a lot more now than I did when I first listened to it. Grew on me a lot, and I like more than just a few songs now. Not the most amazing CD I've ever heard, but really good, especially over the crap that's come out in the past few years.

Indifferent Clox 12-10-2009 06:49 PM

I like Kid A, Amnesiac, and In Rainbows better than Ok computer

FearedSanctity 12-11-2009 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 2851028)
Them Crooked Vultures - 8/10

Like it a lot more now than I did when I first listened to it. Grew on me a lot, and I like more than just a few songs now.

Pretty much exactly how I felt. The songs that I liked were really good, but after more listens songs like Reptiles, Warsaw and Mind Eraser really grew on me

Indifferent Clox 12-11-2009 03:13 AM

Mind eraser is good

Fabien Barthez 12-11-2009 08:48 AM

not every rating has to be followed up by your preferences clox.

Indifferent Clox 12-11-2009 11:48 PM

Yeah, and how you view relative obscurity of a band has nothing to do with how influential they are toward music.