TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   wrestling forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   All Elite Wrestling (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=135828)

Mr. Nerfect 01-13-2019 10:56 PM

Like, I honestly don't care at all about WWE or anything going on there.

XL 01-14-2019 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noid (Post 5213939)
I do see WWE battling AEW whenever their TV deal is announced. I can see WWE creating a third brand to run opposition to try and stunt its ratings.

NXT to TV? Could be a way to catch that “hardcore” fan.

Mr. Nerfect 01-14-2019 05:19 AM

That’s a possibility. They are already producing the show. I’ve got this weird feeling that they might just keep Tuesdays and give it a new name, hiring new crew members to work Friday or just make that a new TV date. If AEW gets a Saturday or something, I could see them taping something after SmackDown. That might be a little late for kiddies though. I dunno. That just seems like the most “Vince” thing they could do to drown AEW out. I could see that being where they put some smark favourites. Could see that being the Becky Lynch/Daniel Bryan/Rusev/Johnny Gargano show. For talent that gets accidentally over or that Vince doesn’t quite get.

Volare 01-14-2019 11:53 AM

<iframe width="1144" height="609" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sxnAXR1Ekbg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

slik 01-14-2019 01:55 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">MJF is great. Awesome stuff here. <a href="https://t.co/885WDEqrhC">pic.twitter.com/885WDEqrhC</a></p>&mdash; Fightful Wrestling (@FightfulWrestle) <a href="https://twitter.com/FightfulWrestle/status/1084884915043397634?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 14, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mr. Nerfect 01-14-2019 06:23 PM

I really don't like Being the Elite videos, haha. Can someone summarize if there is any new information in them?

Fignuts 01-14-2019 06:26 PM

No, just behind the scenes stuff

Mr. Nerfect 01-14-2019 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts (Post 5214258)
No, just behind the scenes stuff

Ah, cool. Thanks.

Mr. Nerfect 01-14-2019 07:17 PM

Goldberg is teasing something on either his Instragram or Twitter. He says a big announcement is coming and he just signed 2000 photos of himself.

Mr. Nerfect 01-14-2019 07:19 PM

From some angles, Hangman Page makes me wonder if he's the result of Seth Rollins and Dolph Ziggler having so many matches together they somehow spliced and created an entity that looks like their offspring.

Fignuts 01-14-2019 07:59 PM

Who is also much more likable as a personality.

Mr. Nerfect 01-14-2019 08:26 PM

Actually, probably, yeah. :lol:

Tom Guycott 01-15-2019 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noid (Post 5213310)
Hangman is a very good looking guy. Has grown into himself. Looked a bit “bland” when I first saw him, but carries himself very well now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noid (Post 5214264)
From some angles, Hangman Page makes me wonder if he's the result of Seth Rollins and Dolph Ziggler having so many matches together they somehow spliced and created an entity that looks like their offspring.

I kinda agree with the first quote, but the second one gave me a chuckle.

I seriously couldn't tell a handful of guys in ROH apart for a time, and those guys were Adam Page and all three guys in The Kingdom (Cole, Taven, and that one guy married to Maria. I remember his name now, but I'm sticking to the joke). A good part of Page breaking away from that is in no small part thanks to BTE, but with and without it, he has grown beyond voiceless lackey and been given room to breathe. If situations were different, I could have made the same mistake with interchanging he and Chase Owens in Japan. Instead, he has succeeded in making himself stand out.

Evil Vito 01-15-2019 11:16 AM

Cody mentioned during the rally, but he's said again that win-loss records are going to matter in AEW and he and the Bucks are still kicking around ideas for how to implement that. He hinted there might be some sort of a formal ranking system, or G1-style tournaments that are points-based.

Mr. Nerfect 01-15-2019 06:08 PM

I appreciate the impulse, but they've got to be careful that win-loss records and rankings don't inhibit them and book them into corners and such. Might just be a better idea to keep people protected and if you are pushing someone, don't job them out to your mid-card champion or whatever.

Emperor Smeat 01-15-2019 11:39 PM

Apparently WWE managed to fool themselves big time in regards to signing Jerry Lawler to a new deal with the company. His previous deal expired on January 10 and it didn't seem like they were going to renew prior to AEW's official debut announcement.

WWE assumed AEW was going to make an attempt to sign Lawler and rushed to get a deal done first just to keep him away from AEW.

Turns out AEW was never interested nor did they ever contact Lawler and WWE is now stuck paying him for another 2 years out for even more money than his previous deal due to their pettiness.

SlickyTrickyDamon 01-15-2019 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rez (Post 5213983)
All the podcasts are hot hot hot on AEW.

Also only something superfans are into.

You are all vastly overestimating.

Evil Vito 01-16-2019 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noid (Post 5214853)
I appreciate the impulse, but they've got to be careful that win-loss records and rankings don't inhibit them and book them into corners and such. Might just be a better idea to keep people protected and if you are pushing someone, don't job them out to your mid-card champion or whatever.

Yeah, I remember Gabe Sapolsky saying several times that EVOLVE was going to be W-L centric but he kept backing down from it probably because it becomes a bit prohibitive from a booking standpoint.

It definitely works for a Round Robin type thing, the G1 in particular does a great job of setting up programs for the champions. But a constant awareness of the W-L records I think would be hard to do unless they are super creative with it. Maybe the months in between each big show is a new "season" where everyone's record starts anew? I dunno.

Mr. Nerfect 01-16-2019 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlickyTrickyDamon (Post 5215066)

Dude, it's a promotion that had its logo unveiled, like, just over two weeks ago. Who do you expect to be into it right now? Ooh, a Kardashian hasn't gotten the logo tattooed onto her yet. Wtf?

Tom Guycott 01-16-2019 01:14 AM

It is fine if they can find a way to present hard records well, but I'm hoping it was more of a shot at 50/50 booking to where nobody cares about anyone where nobody is better in anyone else in what is supposed to be a world of competition.

I've always hated the "wins don't matter" sentiment. Yeah, it's scripted, but it still matters... if not, then what is the point of watching? Why crown champions if your entire roster is on equal footing?

Mr. Nerfect 01-16-2019 01:16 AM

A Portuguese woman named "Shanna" has signed. Cody said in an interview that he signed four people that day. She may or may not have been one of them.

Fignuts 01-16-2019 01:22 AM

Quote:

So what? Let people be excited.

Mr. Nerfect 01-16-2019 01:26 AM

I honestly don't know what the perception of them is supposed to be before they announce a televsion deal and we even know what the roster and card of their first show is going to look like. People are more optimistic about this than other start-ups, like, say, GFW, which was in a similar boat, because of the people that are involved and the implication that the money is huge, which is such a big factor with something like this.

Ol Dirty Dastard 01-16-2019 09:49 AM

Every time Noid splices 'haha' into one of his sentences I want to reach through the screen and throttle the fuck out of him.

Jordan 01-16-2019 11:04 AM

How damn GOLD was MJF in his BTE spot? He makes me LOL.

Sixx 01-16-2019 11:15 AM

So what's elite about it?

rez 01-16-2019 01:43 PM

Quote:

You're replying to someone who doesn't even know who 90% of the NXT call ups are each time.

Podcast, YouTube channels, whatever discussing AEW that are showing up in my news feeds at an alarming rate compared to other wrestling news just caught my eye. Granted, it is the new hot thing. We'll see, I suppose.

Supreme Olajuwon 01-16-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

I know you’ve dug your heels into this take but this is quite the odd hill to die on.

How is this news affecting you negatively at all?

Supreme Olajuwon 01-16-2019 02:25 PM

Someone is trying to improve a thing that I care about at no financial or emotional cost to me? Fuck those guys! I hope it fails!

Mr. Nerfect 01-16-2019 06:18 PM

Jericho's new podcast is all about All Elite. The only real news from it is that Tony Khan paid for his private jet at All In so it wouldn't clash with a Fozzy date and that Jericho wanted to work with Tanahashi and Gedo suggested Naito.

Evil Vito 01-16-2019 06:49 PM

I definitely see Jericho/Tana happening once Tana drops the belt.

xrodmuc316 01-16-2019 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supreme Olajuwon (Post 5215287)
Someone is trying to improve a thing that I care about at no financial or emotional cost to me? Fuck those guys! I hope it fails!

I can't speak for anybody else, but it is not AEW that is annoying. It's the level of hype that some fans are giving it. They have decided this is the greatest thing ever, and can't even entertain an actual discussion.

I made a post about fanboys rallying around the idea that WWE wouldn't let 20 people acting like assholes into Smackdown who also had AEW match on.

Instead of having a conversation that MAYBE it was about the way the people were acting and not what they were wearing, a mod edited my post into a poo poo joke.

That is the perfect example of why people are annoyed with all things AEW already.

Will I watch it when it starts, of course. Do I hope they succeed and put on great shows, of course. Do I need to be blindly loyal to a company that has not had a single show and argue with anyone who isn't, of course not.

Supreme Olajuwon 01-16-2019 09:24 PM

Please link to one post in this thread of someone being an irrational AEW fanboy.

Fignuts 01-16-2019 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrodmuc316 (Post 5215463)
I can't speak for anybody else, but it is not AEW that is annoying. It's the level of hype that some fans are giving it. They have decided this is the greatest thing ever, and can't even entertain an actual discussion.

I made a post about fanboys rallying around the idea that WWE wouldn't let 20 people acting like assholes into Smackdown who also had AEW match on.

Instead of having a conversation that MAYBE it was about the way the people were acting and not what they were wearing, a mod edited my post into a poo poo joke.

That is the perfect example of why people are annoyed with all things AEW already.

Will I watch it when it starts, of course. Do I hope they succeed and put on great shows, of course. Do I need to be blindly loyal to a company that has not had a single show and argue with anyone who isn't, of course not.

I’d wager most of the people who are geeking out over it a bit too much are doing so because they are just so exhausted with the wwe product letting them down. I’m not going to get angry or even annoyed by it. Let them be happy. Doesn’t affect my life in any way.

rez 01-16-2019 10:24 PM

So much talent drives 200 miles just to sit in a fold up chair somewhere to maybe get a pie in the face by the new day. meh...wwe product sucks. we all know it.

rez 01-16-2019 10:25 PM

*by pie i meant free shitty pancakes

SlickyTrickyDamon 01-16-2019 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supreme Olajuwon (Post 5215286)
I know you’ve dug your heels into this take but this is quite the odd hill to die on.

How is this news affecting you negatively at all?

Just want to make sure they have a fair chance. If the fans overhype themselves it'll be a failure which will be blamed on WWE and never on the fans for overhyping it.

Supreme Olajuwon 01-16-2019 11:11 PM

how will it be blamed on WWE

Mr. Nerfect 01-16-2019 11:48 PM

It won’t and he can’t.

Simple Fan 01-17-2019 12:05 AM

I'm sure he'll come up with a reason. Should be interesting.