TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   wrestling forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   All Elite Wrestling (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=135828)

drave 12-28-2021 11:02 AM

"Farmless" is more palatable than "lab-grown" for sure.

Can't wait for all the hysterics from that verbiage, if this pandemic has taught me anything.....

Lock Jaw 12-28-2021 11:08 AM

Dunno, I'd be far more likely to trust "lab-grown" than "farmless". At least it is straight up. The other one is like "ok. Farmless. So what then? What are you trying to hide and why?"

drave 12-28-2021 11:11 AM

What about that "lab grown covid" or those "lab made vaccines". People will 100% equate one with the other, sadly.

I couldn't care less. I will continue to enjoy tasty animals. I remember one suggestion "on the internet" was to put a pic of the cow on the packaging with a "killed" date. The idea was that it would make them more humane, and consumers less likely to buy and eat. I, on the other hand, thought it'd be great to know EXACTLY how fresh the meat I'm buying is.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mr. Nerfect 12-28-2021 11:25 AM

If people don’t want to eat meat, they’re not going to eat meat. People who want to are going to. People who make eating meat their identity are going to be confused and feel attacked by people who choose not to.

Mr. Nerfect 12-28-2021 11:26 AM

Lol, Tony Khan says “I don’t have 27 Hollywood writers doing sketch comedy. We do great wrestling.”

One thing is true about that: He doesn’t have Hollywood writers.

drave 12-28-2021 11:35 AM

All of the Young Bucks segments feel like sketch comedy. Still don't understand their hype.

drave 12-28-2021 11:37 AM

Like.... the whole thing where they give Adam Cole kisses on the cheek? That a throwback to some indie crap they did or am I missing something?

Lock Jaw 12-28-2021 11:39 AM

Only seen like a few minutes of random ones, but their "BTE" YouTube series seems like the worst thing ever. I know it isn't on TV, but they have brought things from there onto TV assuming that the audience knows WTF is going on because they watch it.

drave 12-28-2021 11:46 AM

Things I do enjoy in AEW right now:

Hangman
Malakai Black
Bryan Danielson
Miro (the loss to Guevara is more of a head scratcher than when he lost to Cena at WM)
Thunder Rosa
MJF
Ray MF'in Fenix
PAC
Darby Allin

The other end of the stick:

Young Bucks and pretty much anything
Adam Cole (my son is bigger than him, gtfo)
CAWdy and his awful neck tattoo
Majority of the women's division (Britt Baker is a good shit talker, but it stops there)

drave 12-28-2021 11:47 AM

MJF has the potential to be a "real heel" like we haven't seen in a very VERY long time. Not sure how that will work in terms of today's TV with sponsors, etc. being wary of anything "mildly offensive" but I would love to see him get some nuclear heat.

Mr. Nerfect 12-28-2021 11:55 AM

MJF has had that feeling from the very beginning of AEW. He was the best thing about the first Double or Nothing outside the Cody/Omega match. But they never pull the trigger with him and it’s getting boring now. I think he’ll be the first guy to beat CM Punk, but what does that really mean?

Mr. Nerfect 12-28-2021 11:58 AM

The Young Bucks are fucking horrid. BTE is unwatchable. I was scrolling down a page somewhere and it started playing and I couldn’t turn it off fast enough, lol.

Adam Cole is a talented guy, and I bet he’s having fun, but he’ll never get the focus he did in NXT. He’ll be pushed at times, don’t get me wrong. TK will go on the internet and talk about what a star he is. But they’re incapable of giving anything proper focus. And this shit isn’t getting any bigger.

Lock Jaw 12-28-2021 11:58 AM

When I was watching he got some pretty nuclear heat...... but then he negated that by wrassling Darby Allin and actually wrestling like a "technically proficient" guy and getting the fans to "dueling chant" his name and chant "this is awesome"/"fight forever"... which isn't that hard these days, especially with a "smark" crowd..... but he really needs to adjust his fighting style to be.... "less good". I dunno.

Going to the always comparing him with The Miz thing, if he actually wrestled in a style like The Miz too he'd be much better off.

Mr. Nerfect 12-28-2021 12:00 PM

Miro and Malakai Black basically disappeared, didn’t they? Also, where is Christian? There’s a name I haven’t heard much about recently. He may or may not be around, but way to take one of my favorites ever and basically make them irrelevant to me.

Mr. Nerfect 12-28-2021 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lock Jaw (Post 5509586)
When I was watching he got some pretty nuclear heat...... but then he negated that by wrassling Darby Allin and actually wrestling like a "technically proficient" guy and getting the fans to "dueling chant" his name and chant "this is awesome"/"fight forever"... which isn't that hard these days, especially with a "smark" crowd..... but he really needs to adjust his fighting style to be.... "less good". I dunno.

Going to the always comparing him with The Miz thing, if he actually wrestled in a style like The Miz too he'd be much better off.

I’ve seen him work in a really smart heel way. But it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s trying to get over with the boys by proving he can do more than The Miz, for example.

Unfortunately, he might be destined to be a less famous Miz.

Mr. Nerfect 12-28-2021 12:02 PM

Lol, where is Big Show?

Lock Jaw 12-28-2021 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Nerfect (Post 5509589)
Lol, where is Big Show?

He disappeared off the face of the Earth after getting a PPV match and then having Billy Gunn and his scumbag sons turn heel on him (and also disappear off the face of the Earth until recently)

Lock Jaw 12-28-2021 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Nerfect (Post 5509587)
Miro and Malakai Black basically disappeared, didn’t they? Also, where is Christian? There’s a name I haven’t heard much about recently. He may or may not be around, but way to take one of my favorites ever and basically make them irrelevant to me.

Christian should be world champ right now and the company would be flourishing and wrestling would enter a new boom period.

xrodmuc316 12-28-2021 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Nerfect (Post 5509585)

Adam Cole is a talented guy, and I bet he’s having fun, but he’ll never get the focus he did in NXT. He’ll be pushed at times, don’t get me wrong. TK will go on the internet and talk about what a star he is. But they’re incapable of giving anything proper focus. And this shit isn’t getting any bigger.

They have not done anything with Cole other than "he is friends with the Elite, but also here are his other indisputable friends".

They havent given him any direction or motivation whatsoever. Does he want to be a Champion? Why is he in AEW?

Its the common problem with AEW's booking, 95% of the booking is just because, no real rhyme or reason. In that sense it is the opposite of WWE's people fighting each other over and over and over but for a reason. They would both do better if they moved closer to the middle of that scale.

drave 12-28-2021 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lock Jaw (Post 5509586)

Right. But by "nuclear heat" I mean do shit so dastardly that people want to legit HATE him. I guess that can be really dangerous in today's world of social media stalkers and what not.

Damian Rey 2.0 12-28-2021 02:34 PM

Christian had a big ppv match and has been featured on segments with jungle boy over the past few weeks including this past week.

Malakai Black is also featured regularly either via vignette, in ring segment or match. And it’s been consistent. He just wrestled a match Wednesday where he single handedly destroyed the varsity blondes. So more proof noid doesn’t actually read and just makes shit up to for whatever anti aew trip he’s on.

Mr. Nerfect 12-28-2021 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lock Jaw (Post 5509596)
He disappeared off the face of the Earth after getting a PPV match and then having Billy Gunn and his scumbag sons turn heel on him (and also disappear off the face of the Earth until recently)

That’s right. I don’t know which is worse booking: Starting a program between Billy Gunn and Big Show in 2021, or randomly dropping a program between Billy Gunn and Big Show in 2021. The same thing in 2022 will probably be worse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lock Jaw (Post 5509597)
Christian should be world champ right now and the company would be flourishing and wrestling would enter a new boom period.

I don’t want to accuse you of exaggerating for comedic effect, but the guy could be used in a way more meaningful way than he is, regardless of whether he has all the world records and infinity stones or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrodmuc316 (Post 5509603)
They have not done anything with Cole other than "he is friends with the Elite, but also here are his other indisputable friends".

They havent given him any direction or motivation whatsoever. Does he want to be a Champion? Why is he in AEW?

Its the common problem with AEW's booking, 95% of the booking is just because, no real rhyme or reason. In that sense it is the opposite of WWE's people fighting each other over and over and over but for a reason. They would both do better if they moved closer to the middle of that scale.

Malakai Black might remain the only guy who has had his best work featured in AEW. I guess it depends how highly you rate his NXT stuff. I’m really trying to think of anyone that is actually used better by AEW. For all the praise this company gets for being better for the talent, you’d think there would be more obvious examples where someone’s best work is indisputably away from Bad WWE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drave (Post 5509606)
Right. But by "nuclear heat" I mean do shit so dastardly that people want to legit HATE him. I guess that can be really dangerous in
today's world of social media stalkers and what not.

He does well with what he’s got now. The crowds performatively boo like they’re supposed to. You can’t get actual real heat and the promotion would just wear it anyway.

Mr. Nerfect 12-28-2021 03:16 PM

In the interview when he bragged about not having comedy writers, TK went on to say that AEW does fresher matches and has fresher stories than WWE. He criticised the WWE’s use of rematches and falsely advertising matches.

False advertising I can get behind, because you don’t do that shit. It disappoints someone. There are obviously times when you either have to change or can change and it be a benefit to you. But the old bait-and-switch can prove detrimental. AEW’s hands are not exactly clean of this though. PAC vs. Hangman Page being falsely advertised for Double or Nothing was my first clue that this company may not 100% know what they are doing.

Rematches? That can be a story lol. There’s plenty of reasons for people to have a series of matches, and I don’t know why commentators on the outside feel the constant need to harp on about this like it’s inherently a bad thing. It’s bad if the matches aren’t good and if taken to the utmost extreme. But people feel the need to dichotomise this shit way too dramatically. Having two different entities interact each week is not inherently good either. Especially when everyone works the same, so it feels like you’ve seen every match anyway.

And I don’t get where this idea of fresh stories comes from. Fresh? Like, what is fresh about them? They’re not reinventing the wheel. Are they executing them better than WWE? Well, there’s been nothing better in AEW than Reigns and Brock. Not Page and Omega. In fact, the way they tell stories is inconsistent and requires an arcane knowledge of the product. The viewer needs to piece together things they aren’t explaining effectively.

xrodmuc316 12-28-2021 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Nerfect (Post 5509631)
In the interview when he bragged about not having comedy writers, TK went on to say that AEW does fresher matches and has fresher stories than WWE. He criticised the WWE’s use of rematches and falsely advertising matches.

False advertising I can get behind, because you don’t do that shit. It disappoints someone. There are obviously times when you either have to change or can change and it be a benefit to you. But the old bait-and-switch can prove detrimental. AEW’s hands are not exactly clean of this though. PAC vs. Hangman Page being falsely advertised for Double or Nothing was my first clue that this company may not 100% know what they are doing.

Rematches? That can be a story lol. There’s plenty of reasons for people to have a series of matches, and I don’t know why commentators on the outside feel the constant need to harp on about this like it’s inherently a bad thing. It’s bad if the matches aren’t good and if taken to the utmost extreme. But people feel the need to dichotomise this shit way too dramatically. Having two different entities interact each week is not inherently good either. Especially when everyone works the same, so it feels like you’ve seen every match anyway.

And I don’t get where this idea of fresh stories comes from. Fresh? Like, what is fresh about them? They’re not reinventing the wheel. Are they executing them better than WWE? Well, there’s been nothing better in AEW than Reigns and Brock. Not Page and Omega. In fact, the way they tell stories is inconsistent and requires an arcane knowledge of the product. The viewer needs to piece together things they aren’t explaining effectively.

If he doesnt think all the goofy shit the Bucks and Kenny do isnt comedy writing, he is denser than I thought.

Also, AEW has been around for 3 years now. Isnt it about time he should stop talking about WWE everyday? Can you imagine Shad talking about Jerry Jones and the Cowboys in every interview he does?

Lock Jaw 12-28-2021 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Nerfect (Post 5509631)

The rematch thing seems pick and chose anyways....

Like MJF/Darby will have a big PPV match where Darby is "screwed".... but then there is no rematch and they both move on.

On the other hand you can get something like Orange Cassidy/Matt Hardy feud that goes on endlessly. I guess they only actually fought directly against each other a handful of times, but still...

Bragging about the "no rematches" thing is like saying "we don't drag out feuds unnecessarily", but then they do exactly that sometimes.... while others they just cut short because "no rematches".

Lock Jaw 12-28-2021 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Nerfect (Post 5509625)
I don’t want to accuse you of exaggerating for comedic effect, but the guy could be used in a way more meaningful way than he is, regardless of whether he has all the world records and infinity stones or not.

As much as I hate pretty much all of The Elite guys.... I dream of Christian turning heel and kind of "stealing the group" out from under Kenny Omega's leadership, and uses them to prop up his own world title run. Gives The Elite a bit of "legitimacy" from a "serious veteran" and would otherwise "do them good" to get someone into that dynamic who is not one of their goofy friends IRL, to settle them down a bit and focus them.

Triple A 12-28-2021 04:10 PM

Christian sucks,

Lock Jaw 12-28-2021 04:11 PM

u suck

Triple A 12-28-2021 04:11 PM

so boring and just uses swears/cusses in every promo to get a "cheap pop"... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Evil Vito 12-28-2021 04:11 PM

Lock Jaw vs. Triple A PosterMania CONFIRMED

xrodmuc316 12-28-2021 04:18 PM

Heated debate about Christian! My take is, I think we can all agree Christian is better than CM Punk.

Triple A 12-28-2021 04:26 PM

Lock Jaw is my friend I will never fight him...

Lock Jaw 12-28-2021 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple A (Post 5509651)
so boring and just uses swears/cusses in every promo to get a "cheap pop"... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

He is boring right now, yeah, but that is why they need to do non-boring stuff with him... and he should not be allowed to swear for sure... no one should (except maybe Dan Lambert).

Sepholio 12-28-2021 04:38 PM

Triple A going to try some long term booking for this feud with LJ. I can dig it.

slik 12-28-2021 09:54 PM

Jake Atlas un-retires

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Welcome back to the ring, <a href="https://twitter.com/kennymarquez?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@kennymarquez</a> ! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/AEWDark?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#AEWDark</a> <a href="https://t.co/jgx8KvNtyd">pic.twitter.com/jgx8KvNtyd</a></p>&mdash; JJ Williams (@JJWilliamsWON) <a href="https://twitter.com/JJWilliamsWON/status/1476016068367982593?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 29, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mr. Nerfect 12-29-2021 03:24 AM

Jake Atlas was so fucking boring.

Sepholio 12-29-2021 04:10 AM

And of course, he's all elite.

They need to stop signing people. Seriously. They are going to have to start making cuts soon.

Mr. Nerfect 12-29-2021 05:13 AM

It may not be a strain on their finances, since they’re virtually unlimited, but it makes it impossible to properly place emphasis on things that matter. It just becomes mathematically impossible. I saw something that pointed out that the AEW roster is actually more bloated than WCW’s was at its worst.

If Tony Khan had another promotion, or a series of little developmental things? Sure. But this is also factoring in to how people perceive them — both fans and talent.

Take Kevin Owens. He has friends there. A lot of people thought it was a given he was going. But that isn’t to say that he doesn’t appreciate his role in WWE, his connection to fans, his working relationship with Vince (and the other McMahons — he’s worked closely with almost all of them), sees an advantage in showing loyalty, or even just wants to make his family happy (for all we know, they could be massive WWE marks and not like AEW). But if he’s looking at what his ceiling is in AEW — is he going to get more spotlight than Danielson or Punk? Or even Malakai Black? And these are the worthy talents. He’s going to have to bust ass harder than ever to stand out there, and even then it’s just so crowded.

There needs to be some attention paid to streamlining this and booking a show that top names can slip into and really fit. Instead it’s just a hodgepodge of everything and everyone. And for all the Jake Atlases and Tone Neseseses (Nesi) you sign, and you need some guys like that, you eventually create a bloat that is going to block some artery that limits you.

I used to reason that this would at least be good for the video game. But when that game comes out, how is its story mode going to make any sense with the glut of people that are and aren’t getting focused on in seemingly alternating months? Is half the roster even going to be recognisable, let alone contemporarily relevant to players?

Mr. Nerfect 12-29-2021 05:13 AM

By the time the game comes out, AEW will have 25 new names under contract.

Triple A 12-29-2021 01:40 PM

"bittersweet announcement" :wtf:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Tonight’s our final <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/AEWDynamite?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#AEWDynamite</a> on TNT before Dynamite moves to TBS next Wednesday. Fittingly we’re home <a href="https://twitter.com/dailysplace?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@dailysplace</a> where we’ve had 65/116 episodes (56%) with the biggest crowd we’ve had here for tv &amp; tonight is the return of <a href="https://twitter.com/JRsBBQ?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@JRsBBQ</a>, + 1 bittersweet announcement to come today <a href="https://t.co/nYzBuqS7Bb">https://t.co/nYzBuqS7Bb</a> <a href="https://t.co/ua0pC0efIV">pic.twitter.com/ua0pC0efIV</a></p>&mdash; Tony Khan (@TonyKhan) <a href="https://twitter.com/TonyKhan/status/1476259674114691078?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 29, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>