TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   wrestling forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   NWA Revival Thread (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=136541)

Simple Fan 10-16-2019 01:12 AM

Another great show. With everyone else trying to do 5 star matches every show this is refreshing.

Vastardikai 10-16-2019 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan X (Post 5293417)
LOL @ Trevor Murdoch "GOOD JOB KID IT JUS WADENT MY NIGHT"

I meant to mention this: Murdoch put that kid over both in the ring and with that statement.

Because so many times a Roll-up type pin like that is played off as a fluke. Especially when you have matches that go way too long and feature guys kick out of everything from Superplexes to getting a tank dropped on them, only to end with a small package.

Murdoch treated that finish as a legitimate win, not a fluke. And with a kid the NWA is clearly investing in, it's a smart move by a veteran worker.

Simple Fan 10-16-2019 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Nerfect (Post 5293496)
Just going to say it, because credit due where credit due: Eli Drake was awesome in his role this week. Sorry, Eli. I can admit it when I’m wrong.

I gotta put this in my signature.

Tom Guycott 10-16-2019 06:01 AM

Don't look for such platitudes from me, though. I will say, however, that he was a lot more tolerable here. Sounded more natural and less hacky, gimmicky, or Dollar Store Miavia. It was just one promo out of years of awful backlog, though, so I'm not going to jump on his dick from one portion of a taped set. This might be a one-off thing.

He's still a shit sandwich, just not a sloppy one.

Mr. Nerfect 10-16-2019 06:58 AM

He's nowhere near the best thing on the shows, but they're not presenting him that way. If he's cutting down on the Mock Rock stuff, then maybe he's listening to Cornette or something, and that will make him a lot better.

Jordan 10-16-2019 07:28 AM

The Rock is an obvious inspiration to many, including Drake and Starks on NWA. I can't blame them or say it's wrong, he's the best ever, so it's like when we had 10 Nature Boys... bound to happen.

Eli and James Storm seems like a good potential program. Storm seems to care less for the NWA National title and his aggression is quite heelish. I think Storm loses to Drake and ends up in the 10lbs of Gold scene like he wants in a hell feud with Aldis.

Jordan 10-16-2019 07:31 AM

Cabana and Mr. Anderson is interesting. I didn't watch Anderson in TNA at all so it's kind of refreshing for me to see him for the first time in like a decade. They set the stage for his heel turn early on when Cabana topped of Anderson's entrance gimmick. It was a funny moment but I think that it will go further as weeks go on leading to Anderson turning on Cabana and having a program as enemies. However inserting two singles acts into the tag division interests me as well, it's a good way to get a further story, be it they stay together are never quite get a long thus "funny" or Anderson turns on Cabana and we get a reason to really cheer Colt against a bastard heel.

Mr. Nerfect 10-16-2019 07:54 AM

Cabana and Anderson were pretty good. They didn't steal the show, but they were comfortable performing. I think I'd rather see Storm & Drake as a team than as opponents.

Jordan 10-16-2019 08:06 AM

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/n...re-december-14

NWA PPV on Dec 14th, "Into the Fire"... sounds great but....

It looks like they will run the PPV in the TV studio, if that is the case I'm pretty disappointed. I wish they could run a small auditorium/venue that would give a more arena feel than the studio does, for the PPV. Hoping I'm wrong and they announce Center Stage or something.

Jordan 10-16-2019 08:08 AM

Well I asked Dave Lagana and he said yes the show will be at the tv studio. Hoping they do away with the set and make the studio feel different for PPV.

Mr. Nerfect 10-16-2019 08:54 AM

I agree. They should at least run something with a few hundred people.

Jordan 10-16-2019 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Nerfect (Post 5293756)
I agree. They should at least run something with a few hundred people.

I'm hoping the add bleachers where the set is and do a proper ringside and shoot it with the camera view being the stadium seating. I just want a different feel than the tv.

Jordan 10-22-2019 08:57 PM

Week 3, best episode yet.

Jordan 10-22-2019 09:05 PM

Hope you guys feel the same. Tim Storm and Eli Drake were awesome.

Simple Fan 10-22-2019 09:29 PM

Wasn't a fan of Aron Stevens part but was a good show.

Ol Dirty Dastard 10-22-2019 09:32 PM

He's got more chops than Ric Flair

Simple Fan 10-22-2019 09:41 PM

I just think he should be more serious. His movie just felt like one of their commercials, which are great.

Ol Dirty Dastard 10-22-2019 09:45 PM

He's clearly somewhat of a comedy heel. But he could kinda end up being Honky Tonk man levels of effective (a lengthy mid-card title holder)

Simple Fan 10-22-2019 09:52 PM

Yeah I think that's what he's comfortable with. Similar to his time in TNA with the Liberace gimmick I didn't like.

#1-norm-fan 10-22-2019 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simple Fan (Post 5295199)
I just think he should be more serious. His movie just felt like one of their commercials, which are great.

That’s him. He’s not a serious contender. He’s a gimmicky midcard heel. And he’s great at it. Not everyone has to try to be a serious main eventer.

Jordan 10-22-2019 11:46 PM

It's crazy how much this show feels like the old school real deal. It does have an indy quality don't get me wrong but there is a lot more to it than that. Tim Storm have built so much BELIEF in the 10lbs of Gold just by losing his chance to compete for it. Aldis is coming off like a combination of Flair and Bockwinkle mixed with his own thing because he's not just copying he is inspired. James Storm is so vicious... I am wondering who is going to be the challenge for the 10lbs of Gold at the PPV?

Vastardikai 10-22-2019 11:48 PM

I need some Invisible Hair Cream to go with my Waffles and Tire Irons.

Fignuts 10-23-2019 01:11 AM

https://i.imgur.com/zDCWN1e.png

Fignuts 10-23-2019 01:27 AM

https://i.imgur.com/aXoMgzc.png

#1-norm-fan 10-23-2019 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan X (Post 5295220)
It's crazy how much this show feels like the old school real deal. It does have an indy quality don't get me wrong but there is a lot more to it than that. Tim Storm have built so much BELIEF in the 10lbs of Gold just by losing his chance to compete for it. Aldis is coming off like a combination of Flair and Bockwinkle mixed with his own thing because he's not just copying he is inspired. James Storm is so vicious... I am wondering who is going to be the challenge for the 10lbs of Gold at the PPV?

The end definitely hinted at an Aldis vs. Drake feud.

I love how Aldis is a dick but doesn’t go overboard with it for the sake of being a heel. He’s very “real” in his heelishness.

Ol Dirty Dastard 10-23-2019 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts (Post 5295232)

it is amazing how the WWE fails to understand the economy of words. If you say less, what you say means so much more (granted you're a good talker).

Even in WWF, during the 80s, with Hogan and Savage, they didn't come out and open up Superstars with a 45-minute promo.

Fignuts 10-23-2019 07:39 AM

https://i.imgur.com/E5sXawG.png

Helmsphere 10-23-2019 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vastardikai (Post 5293715)
I meant to mention this: Murdoch put that kid over both in the ring and with that statement.

Because so many times a Roll-up type pin like that is played off as a fluke. Especially when you have matches that go way too long and feature guys kick out of everything from Superplexes to getting a tank dropped on them, only to end with a small package.

Murdoch treated that finish as a legitimate win, not a fluke. And with a kid the NWA is clearly investing in, it's a smart move by a veteran worker.

Of course it had to be you that praised Trevor Murdoch. I saw this and was like i hope Rowdy see this but of course you posted it

GD 10-23-2019 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts (Post 5295247)

That was absolutely lovely.

Mr. Nerfect 10-23-2019 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts (Post 5295247)

I love that promo, but you can kind of feel Regal losing his place and stepping over his own lines -- but that is fine because it's believable! People can stammer and repeat a word or two and it works alright when they're mad. Especially if they're usually eloquent.

I was never a MASSIVE fan of Regal. I mean, he's one of my favorite memories of wrestling. Friends and I used to do his faces when we were pretending to be mad to crack each other up. But I never took him seriously and could never imagine him as a babyface. That promo made me fucking LOVE the guy in a few minutes. I was genuinely heartbroken when Triple H destroyed him with a sledgehammer later in the show. But props to Triple H, because he genuinely sold Regal in the actual promo itself (his face read "I'm in trouble now").

Another great Regal promo that no one talks about, but stood out to me, was when he was feuding with Edge in that weird period of 2002 when they were struggling to find a new identity. Regal appeared on the titantron and cut a promo about being mocked for being British, and then reminded Edge that he must be pretty stupid, because if he knew about history, he'd know the English are the most barbaric race in human history. I fucking loved that line. I loved Edge as a babyface at the time too, but going back, he does not hold up well. Felt overly forced and he didn't really raise good points, but was doing kind of a Rock/Jericho-lite thing where he'd just rattle off some corny insults that didn't have the same charismatic support.

Mr. Nerfect 10-23-2019 08:13 PM

I haven't watched NWA Power this week, but I intend to. I'm actually saving it as a treat. I haven't done that with wrestling in some time.

Mr. Nerfect 10-23-2019 08:15 PM

By the way, on the WWE 20-minute promo: Obviously the WWF had some great talkers like The Rock that you just wanted to let go, but I really do think the long-winded monologue is a Triple H influence. He could do them fine, some were hit and some were miss, but they got especially tired on repeat and when he had Raw on lock-down. But I think they've got this idea that that is how stars must act.

Bobholly138 10-26-2019 04:18 PM

Loving POWERRR

But then have been watching Tim Storm and Ricky Starks since 2011 or so.

Mr. Nerfect 10-27-2019 05:27 PM

Eli Drake gets my gold star of the week this week.

Vastardikai 10-29-2019 08:22 PM

Great action this week. Ricky Starks feels like the star on the horizon that's going to take them to the next level. Murdoch vs. Josephus was a fun fight, and Josephus getting a little taste of his own medicine was a great payoff. Homicide and Kingston vs. Dawsons was nasty and uncomfortable, well worth it. The Women's match was good. And the Six Man. Oh My God, the Six Man. I am curious where the World Title picture is going.

Simple Fan 10-29-2019 08:33 PM

Kayfabe cocktails

#1-norm-fan 10-29-2019 09:46 PM

Lol I don’t get what they’re going for with Eli Drake: Motivational Speaker. But I kinda love it. He “should” be a heel but this is working.

Ol Dirty Dastard 10-29-2019 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #1-wwf-fan (Post 5296558)
Lol I don’t get what they’re going for with Eli Drake: Motivational Speaker. But I kinda love it. He “should” be a heel but this is working.

Both motivational speaker and shit-stirrer. Or, just a walking plot device. Same with you, no matter what he is, I'm enjoying it.

#1-norm-fan 10-29-2019 09:58 PM

Trevor Murdoch vs Josephus now in a match between two guys that have come off as jobbers over the last couple weeks yet somehow I’m invested in the match. That’s how you fill time without over-exposing your stars.

#1-norm-fan 10-29-2019 10:08 PM

This show seems like it’s going too fast which is also a crazy concept nowadays.