TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   entertainment forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Super Mario Movie Thread (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=139386)

M-A-G 10-07-2022 04:02 AM

Super Mario Movie Thread

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DUnQcJz76Ck" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I mean, virtually anything was going to be better than that garbage from the nineties.

Ruien 10-07-2022 07:22 AM

This looks great.

drave 10-07-2022 07:57 AM

Why would they not use the actual Mario voice actor in an animated movie though?

DUMB.

The modders will fix it soon after release.

Lock Jaw 10-07-2022 08:56 AM

Yeah.... looks great visually, but not sold at all on Chris Pratt....

Probably if you had Charles Martinet do it you would have "those people" come out of the woodworks and say his voice is racist. So you can't please everyone.

Lock Jaw 10-07-2022 08:56 AM

Wonder if Mario will hold his palm out to Bowser and be all "whoa, whoa, eyes on me"

drave 10-07-2022 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lock Jaw (Post 5582205)
Yeah.... looks great visually, but not sold at all on Chris Pratt....

Probably if you had Charles Martinet do it you would have "those people" come out of the woodworks and say his voice is racist. So you can't please everyone.

As long as Mario has been around and had his voice.... everyone would have been fine.

No one called Pac Man out for making him yellow and having an Asian creator did they Lock Jaw? NO! DID IT OFFEND YOUR ASIAN HERITAGE?!?!?!

Seriously though - there are various "fan made" trailers that are better than this garbage.

Hopefully they go the Ugly Sonic route and change it. I doubt it, but yeah...

drave 10-07-2022 08:59 AM

I gotta say though, could barely tell Jack Black was voicing Bowser, until right before he did his fire.

ron the dial 10-07-2022 09:21 AM

yeah imagine that, actual voice acting.

drave 10-07-2022 09:28 AM

fuck's sake - I can do a better Mario voice. It's pretty good.

I can also do Wario quite well.

Lock Jaw 10-07-2022 09:30 AM

Yeah.... kinda "hate" the trend of getting big name celebs to do voice acting... could very much recognize "Chris Pratt noises" and picture his face... takes you out of it.... I would have gone with an unknown voice actor if they wanted to not use Martinet.

drave 10-07-2022 09:31 AM

Jack Black tho - AMIRITE.

He does well, because I bet he actually "animates" himself and actions in the studio. He's damn good at what he does.

Fignuts 10-07-2022 11:10 AM

I'm gonna wait until we hear more than two lines from chris pratt.

drave 10-07-2022 11:40 AM

:|

Nope. It's Pratt with a slightly bad NY attempted accent.

Bring back Lou Albano from the dead, he would do it better if that's the route they wanted to go with it.

drave 10-07-2022 11:40 AM

Did you wait to see more scenes of Ugly Sonic too?

FOR SHAME FIGGY!

Ruien 10-07-2022 12:16 PM

Of course they have a real actor. This isn't a video game..... wtf

Fignuts 10-07-2022 12:17 PM

Dude barely said anything in the games besides "it's-a me, mario!" and "owowowowowowowo!"

So the voice isn't really a big deal to me. Theres no real precedent.

Fignuts 10-07-2022 12:18 PM

Jack Black does sound way cooler than I thought he would though.

ron the dial 10-07-2022 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruien (Post 5582232)
Of course they have a real actor. This isn't a video game..... wtf

voice actors are real actors...

Ruien 10-07-2022 12:22 PM

Lies!

Ruien 10-07-2022 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts (Post 5582235)
Dude barely said anything in the games besides "it's-a me, mario!" and "owowowowowowowo!"

So the voice isn't really a big deal to me. Theres no real precedent.

This.

ron the dial 10-07-2022 12:25 PM

i'm not too concerned with them meeting some standard i have in my mind about what mario should sound like. i just have little interest in listening to chris pratt's voice on mario's body for the length of an entire movie. if he puts any effort into being something besides chris pratt i'll be amazed.

Lock Jaw 10-07-2022 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron the dial (Post 5582242)
i'm not too concerned with them meeting some standard i have in my mind about what mario should sound like. i just have little interest in listening to chris pratt's voice on mario's body for the length of an entire movie. if he puts any effort into being something besides chris pratt i'll be amazed.

This.

M-A-G 10-07-2022 12:35 PM

This post is sponsored by Sweet Chin Music

I'm in a bind because I really want to hate this due to the wastes of oxygen at Illumination who are responsible for garbage like Minions, Sing, and their Dr. Suess adaptations. The thing is that this does look like how I would imagine the Mushroom Kingdom and it's just light years ahead of what the live-action movie was trying to do. I don't feel comfortable praising or giving money to these fucks but I have a bit of confidence that they might, MIGHT pull this off.

Lock Jaw 10-07-2022 12:36 PM

On the other hand, though, I actively WANT Charlie Day to not put any effort into being anything besides Charlie Day so I'm a hypocrite.

ron the dial 10-07-2022 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lock Jaw (Post 5582245)
On the other hand, though, I actively WANT Charlie Day to not put any effort into being anything besides Charlie Day so I'm a hypocrite.

so much of what charlie day does as a live action actor is tied up in how he uses his voice in an animated manner, so i think it's at least slightly different. same with jack black to an even larger degree.

Lock Jaw 10-07-2022 12:38 PM

And Danny Devito for Wario please.

<iframe width="932" height="524" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JQaure9xWrE" title="Charlie Day is Luigi and Danny Devito is Wario" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fignuts 10-07-2022 01:26 PM

Do people just not like chris pratt now?

Cause I still do.

ron the dial 10-07-2022 01:37 PM

he's fine. depends on the role. parks & rec and guardians? good stuff. might even throw in lego movie. other than that? meh.

ron the dial 10-07-2022 01:39 PM

i find him to very one note, and when he hits that note it sings. but when he tries to venture outside of that he never quite hits the mark for me.

ron the dial 10-07-2022 01:47 PM

or the one note doesn't fit the role imo

dunno why i'm posting so much about chris pratt

Destor 10-07-2022 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drave (Post 5582203)
Why would they not use the actual Mario voice actor in an animated movie though?

DUMB.

The modders will fix it soon after release.

because that voice doing a monolog would be horrid

weather vane 10-07-2022 04:24 PM

I think it looks awesome. Martinet would be so awful for a movie.

Lock Jaw 10-07-2022 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts (Post 5582260)
Do people just not like chris pratt now?

Cause I still do.

I think Jurassic World got him a bad rep going... tide starting to turn on him

weather vane 10-07-2022 04:50 PM

Funny thing on Twitter..

Sounds like Linda from Bob’s Burgers. Can’t stop hearing it now.

drave 10-09-2022 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destor (Post 5582269)
because that voice doing a monolog would be horrid

Obviously it can be brought down a bit, even tuned with technology if needed. I'd imagine anyone would have a tone and pitch shift when speaking in various environments//situations.

Edit: Would NOT be needed. I had no idea Martinet also voiced Paarthunax from Skyrim.

For me, this is as egregious as the Sonic design. It'd almost be like Bugs Bunny starring in his first movie, and anyone except Mel Blanc did the voice. It could still be "passable" but it wouldn't be Bugs. I know "bugs talked more" but to say there isn't enough files of Mario speaking is just ludicrous.

This is just "Name X projected to make $$$$$$". I'm sure it will do fine on the Mario name alone.

I don't consider myself an "audiophile" because I don't lean into that hobby...... but sounds resonate with me in a major way. For whatever reason, I can recall music, notes, rhythms, etc. after hearing a song 2-3 times and it's stuck there forever. I have random beats through my brain all day and music was a MAJOR part of my life growing up (kinda still is, but not actively reading sheet music right now)

^
That may be why it irks me as bad as it does. It jolts my auditory senses expecting to hear one thing, and instead hearing the complete opposite. That, in turn, makes me tune out almost immediately.

drave 10-09-2022 10:20 AM

Also gets on my ear nerves when anyone but Hamill & Conroy voice Joker and Batman. They are absolutely perfect in those roles

drave 10-09-2022 10:24 AM

Darth Vader: Biopic on Tape

except Chris Pratt reads it in his voice, as Darth Vader.

Nothing against that dude either, just a terrible pick for this, by a very wide margin.

Lock Jaw 10-09-2022 11:20 AM

drave has CENA NUFF!

M-A-G 10-09-2022 12:21 PM

This post is sponsored by every gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse, and doghouse

Quote:

Originally Posted by drave (Post 5582764)
Darth Vader: Biopic on Tape

except Chris Pratt reads it in his voice, as Darth Vader.

Nothing against that dude either, just a terrible pick for this, by a very wide margin.

Wait, is that seriously a thing? I might have to check it out if only for the LOLZ. :lol:

Ruien 10-09-2022 01:36 PM

It is by grown adults who the movie was 100% made for.