TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   entertainment forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Anime Thread (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=80720)

Emperor Smeat 03-22-2016 07:32 PM

FLCL is pretty good overall.

Only 6 episodes overall so very little time investment needed although Fignuts is right about that show being the multi-watch type because of how random stuff gets at time.

Fignuts 03-22-2016 07:33 PM

Had a lot of people talking on it's first adult swim run, but beyond that it's not mainstream popular.

Fignuts 06-17-2016 03:16 AM

Started watching One Punch Man. Pretty fucking great. Does for shonen what Gurren Lagan did for big robot anime.

Fignuts 06-19-2016 06:56 AM

Finished the season.

Fuck great, this show is brilliant.

Kalyx triaD 06-20-2016 02:16 PM

Gonna catch it. Too many people saying the same thing.

Fignuts 07-06-2016 03:32 AM

First episode of the new Berserk is out. Picks up where the last one left off, with the black swordsman stuff.

They use this cg cel shade animation. Takes a little getting used to, but I don't mind it, as the action scenes still look incredible, and I'm guessing it costs a lot less, which is allowing this to happen in the first place.

Still brutal as fuck. Hell, Casca's rape is in the opening credits, ffs.

Emperor Smeat 07-06-2016 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts (Post 4823805)
Started watching One Punch Man. Pretty fucking great. Does for shonen what Gurren Lagan did for big robot anime.

Been wanting to watch that show for a while and might finally get around to it once Toonami starts to air it in about 2 weeks.

ClockShot 07-06-2016 05:17 PM

Murokumuro on Netflix is pretty cool if anybody's got a membership and a thing for mechs and Japanese lore.

Shadow 07-07-2016 08:53 AM

Sure you spelled that right? Not seeing anything.

ClockShot 07-07-2016 02:51 PM

Oops. First M should be a K. Kuromukuro.

Sucks they're neighbors on the keyboard.

Tom Guycott 07-26-2016 12:37 AM

Started watching The Seven Deadly Sins. Not bad, but was just surprised at
SPOILER: show
splicing in Arthurian legend about halfway through... didn't see that coming
, but that wasn't really a story ruiner or anything, just more of a creative left turn that seemed kinda random.

Good stuff. Only trouble I'm having is that since I lack Netflix anymore, my "source" is cohabitated by multiple links of unlabled dubs and subs with no way to tell which one you're going to see without trial and error.

Fignuts 07-26-2016 03:23 AM

Synopsis for new FLCL

In the new season of FLCL, many years have passed since Naota and Haruhara Haruko shared their adventure together. Meanwhile, the war between the two entities known as Medical Mechanica and Fraternity rages across the galaxy. Enter Hidomi, a young teenaged girl who believes there is nothing amazing to expect from her average life, until one day when a new teacher named Haruko arrives at her school. Soon enough, Medical Mechanica is attacking her town and Hidomi discovers a secret within her that could save everyone, a secret that only Haruko can unlock.
But why did Haruko return to Earth? What happened to her Rickenbacker 4001 she left with Naota? And where did the human-type robot ‘Canti’ go?

Honestly don't really feel great about this. First series ended perfectly, and no one who worked on it is coming back.

Kalyx triaD 07-26-2016 09:38 PM

Worth it for new stuff from the Pillows.

Fignuts 07-27-2016 12:35 AM

Ok, the original article didn't state this, but apparently yes, the pillows are coming back, along with the character designer, director, and original voice cast.

Online journalism.

So that makes me feel a lot better.

Tom Guycott 07-27-2016 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalyx triaD (Post 4838832)
Worth it for new stuff from the Pillows.

:y:

I still play Stalker like its new

Fignuts 07-27-2016 03:07 AM

Crazy Sunshine is probably my fav.

drave 07-28-2016 07:22 PM

Give me new Samurai Champloo and/or Cowboy Bebop plz.

There were a few videos I rented back in the "Red Giraffe" days called Violence Jack that were also very good.

Kalyx triaD 07-29-2016 09:33 PM

You named two animes that story wise cannot continue.

Sepholio 07-29-2016 11:09 PM

He sure did but they were still great and could do with something. Cowboy Bebop could easily be brought back in the form of filler side story episodes, which is what most of it was anyways.

I would have liked more Death Note. Deadman Wonderland also needs to come back with moar.

Fignuts 08-01-2016 05:47 AM

Started Tokyo Goul. Pretty good, but I don't see how it's getting praise up there with Attack on Titan and One Punch Man.. Good dub though.

ClockShot 08-01-2016 04:07 PM

Watched The Adventures of Sinbad on Netflix. Part of that big Magi series that's running.

I enjoyed it.

drave 08-01-2016 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalyx triaD (Post 4839677)
You named two animes that story wise cannot continue.

Bullshit. They can always make shit up and be like "Yo, this was before the original."

Tom Guycott 08-02-2016 02:34 AM

Eehhh... Bebop I can buy a prequel. Not so much Samuari Champloo. They started that story at the beginning.

Though, I can kinda see doing a different story. Maybe even throw anachronism on a different era of time. However, that has the potential of tarnishing what the original did if not done perfectly right. Best to leave well enough alone.

A.J.K 02-03-2017 04:30 PM

I've been getting into anime as of late. so far, Inuyasha, Yu Yu Hakusho, Black Butler is my favorite right now.

Destor 02-03-2017 06:13 PM

You gotta expand your horizons!

Destor 02-19-2017 12:18 AM

New Seven Deadly Sins up on netflix. "Season 2" is more just bonues eps than an actual S2. STILL VERY WELCOME. Great show. These 4 eps will def keep me happy until the true next season drops. (That manga needs to hurry up.)

ClockShot 08-01-2017 08:35 AM

Sony is buying 95% of Funimation for $143 million. Gen Fukunaga keeps the rest and his title.

How this affects the current Funimation/Crunchyroll partnership is unknown right now.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/07/...tor-funimation

Kalyx triaD 08-01-2017 03:02 PM

Funimation is... inexpensive.

Shadow 08-01-2017 03:21 PM

Very inexpensive. Yesh.

Kalyx triaD 08-01-2017 03:24 PM

I'm starting to think major companies are simply not worth as much as I grew up believing cause I hear some wacky low numbers they get purchased for. Like... there's been lottery pots that would have made me eligible to buy Capcom like holy shit.

Emperor Smeat 08-01-2017 06:19 PM

Price-wise seems about right since Funimation only handled licenses and some dubs for anime shows.

Probably also a lot cheaper to buy them than Crunchyroll who has a ton more licenses under their control.

Guess on the bright side, at least they are worth more than a few years ago. According to Wikipedia, they were only worth around $24 million when sold in 2011.

Destor 08-01-2017 07:46 PM

The app has offered a lot of room for growth and sony is great at distribution so this is a huge win

Destor 08-29-2017 12:43 AM

My hero academia is so good

Tom Guycott 08-29-2017 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalyx triaD (Post 4997405)
I'm starting to think major companies are simply not worth as much as I grew up believing cause I hear some wacky low numbers they get purchased for. Like... there's been lottery pots that would have made me eligible to buy Capcom like holy shit.

Winning the lottery now sounds like a legit strategy to mandate new Megaman games.

Fignuts 12-09-2017 01:33 AM

Reading the Dragon Ball Super Manga and hot shit it is SOOOOOOOO much better than the anime. Has a lot of extra scenes and dialogue that give a lot more depth to the characters and situations they are in. Entire fights that weren't in the anime, and a lot that were have different results. It also takes pretty much all the nonsensical bullshit in the anime and completely scraps it. Stuff like trunks getting some random power up with no explanation to beat zamasu is totally removed for a scene where he gets his ass kicked trying to buy goku time, but keeps getting up. That might disappoint the edgelords out there, but it simultaneously adds a lot more to the character, and makes a hell of a lot more sense.

If that weren't enough, the anime has really shoddy animation at times, whereas the manga has fantastic art throughout.

If you're at all interested in Super, I definitely recommend the manga, as it seems like the true sequel to the story, whereas the anime feels more like thrown together fan service.

Fignuts 12-09-2017 01:45 AM

Lots of nice touches in the manga too. For instance in the anime, they show goku and vegeta training on kami's lookout. You get a nice tussle and some dialogue, and then it cuts away. You get a little more in the manga.

http://orig06.deviantart.net/0ba0/f/...ggmanrules.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Wgi0sOK.png

Helmsphere 12-09-2017 05:03 PM

SPOILER: show
Yeah, the Manga has had some badass moments. Some of which we haven't seen in the Anime such as Super Saiyan God Vegeta (The part where Goku fights Dyspo in the Tournament of power and switches between Red and Blue, was actually done by Vegeta against Black)

Goku getting beat by Toppo (I believe he was only Super Saiyan 3, or God as opposed to Blue) Confirms Jiren is indeed more powerful then Belmond (Universe 11's God of Destruction)

Also, the real reason everyone hates Universe 7, It's not Goku but Beerus because he fell asleep for 50 years during a Hide and Seek Tournament.

Helmsphere 12-09-2017 05:04 PM

Also I want to state I cried, quite a bit of how the last episode ended.

Destor 12-14-2017 12:16 AM

Love super. It takes what made DB so great (goofy character arcs) and melds it with what made DBZ such a hit (huge fights.)

Its a wonderful successor to DB that doesnt run off DBZ fans.

I didnt hate DBZ or anything but DB>DBS>DBGT>DBZ

Stories over battles for me is all. Liked DBZ a lot tho.

DB was just the best....might rewatch it....

Destor 12-14-2017 12:16 AM

So much good anime coming out this year btw. Not even sure what to plug