TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   entertainment forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Can we talk about Tom Cruise? (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=135318)

RP 08-22-2018 01:46 AM

Can we talk about Tom Cruise?

Scientology crap aside. I think he's the greatest actor of all time. I'm willing to go deep in his filmography. This guy might be Xenu himself. I dont know.

RP 08-22-2018 01:48 AM

I just watched Edge of Tomorrow and I didnt expect much and what i got was a fucking amazing movie. I hate myself for not supporting it at the theaters.

RP 08-22-2018 01:51 AM

The stories of this dude doing his own stunts btw. Especially the videos of the latest MI movie. Which was amazing and I saw it at IMAX and was blown away. It was so fucking good. Better than any action movie i've ever seen.

RP 08-22-2018 01:56 AM

I'm talking in my own thread here like usual, but one more thing. Aside from a John Wick 3, or maybe a Denzel Washington movie. There is no other actor that brings me to the theater like Cruise.

If being entertained is the goal. Tom Cruise goes all out on every movie to entertain people. It's really amazing. I even loved the first Jack Reacher movie. 2nd one was ok. The guy goes hard and I cherish all his movies I dont care about the Scientology bullshit. If that is his deal then so be it. I dont care. His output of great movies is amazing.

Tom Guycott 08-22-2018 02:08 AM

It's not the "Scientology crap" that bothers me, it's the height thing. Ever since I have been made aware of his whole thing about being sensitive about his height, I've noticed a lot of forced perspectives and low angle camerawork over the years.

He is a damn good actor. I wouldn't say GOAT, but certainly up there. If for nothing else, Tropic Thunder.

RP 08-22-2018 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Guycott (Post 5162921)
It's not the "Scientology crap" that bothers me, it's the height thing. Ever since I have been made aware of his whole thing about being sensitive about his height, I've noticed a lot of forced perspectives and low angle camerawork over the years.

He is a damn good actor. I wouldn't say GOAT, but certainly up there. If for nothing else, Tropic Thunder.

There are so many actors that are known to be short. Tom Hardy comes to mind. I think Brad Pitt might be pretty short too. It's not some big secret. He might have an issue with it, but no one has put out hits like him.

I'll admit I have not seen The Mummy and i've heard bad things lol

RP 08-22-2018 02:14 AM

I dont think about height tbh. I love Cruise and i really love Tom Hardy. Both are my favorite actors. I watch whatever they do.

Tom Guycott 08-22-2018 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RP (Post 5162922)
There are so many actors that are known to be short. Tom Hardy comes to mind. I think Brad Pitt might be pretty short too. It's not some big secret. He might have an issue with it, but no one has put out hits like him.

I'll admit I have not seen The Mummy and i've heard bad things lol

It isn't that he is short in and of itself. It is that it bothers him so much that camerawork and staging has to reflect him being taller or fuck you he ain't doing it. Who cares? You're an actor and one of the most recognizable men in the entire world... who gives a fuck some chick has a couple inches on you if she wears heels so she can't wear heels around you?

I didn't see a real problem with The Mummy, especially with what it was trying to accomplish. Problem is, it won't accomplish those things as the entire concept has been scrapped. Kinda happens when you not only presume sequels, but was just trying to ride the dick of the MCU and try to make similar money.

slik 08-22-2018 03:03 AM

Tom is a great actor and I like Tom

He had a decade long "act crazy in the media" phase but thankfully it has passed.

Seanny One Ball 08-22-2018 03:58 AM

I wasn't a fan until very recently. I actually think it may have been Edge Of Tomorrow that made me take a closer look into his filmography. I went back and watched Cocktail, Rain Man, Jerry Maguire, Magnolia, Vanilla Sky, Minority Report, Last Samurai, War Of The Worlds, Valkyrie, all the Mission Impossible movies and both Jack Reachers. I liked Minority Report, Magnolia and Last Samurai the most because he mixes up and fits into old Hollywood and New with his roles. A film like Last Samurai would be particularly well received in the 50-60's age of epics and Minority Report is ultimately timeless. Magnolia is it's own animal and it's an animal with the face of Tom Cruise.

So yeah, Tom Cruise is great.

Scientology isn't my bag but fuck anyone that slags someone off for an honest belief.

El Vaquero de Infierno 08-22-2018 02:25 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bbanWHx5AFQ" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

From about 2005 until perhaps 2010, I did not touch any of his films, as he was going a bit full on with the scientology crap and jumping on Oprah's couch, but in general I have always enjoyed his films.

Seanny One Ball 08-23-2018 09:02 AM

Rewatch the couch clip. That was an editing hatchet job.

Nicky Fives 08-23-2018 10:52 AM

Never was a huge fan and only have seen a handful of his "classic" movies, not much of his recent stuff. Lots of respect for sticking around forever, but he's not for me. I want my action heroes to look like they could kick ass a la The Rock, Jason Statham, Marky Mark, etc.

Swiss Ultimate 08-23-2018 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RP (Post 5162912)
I just watched Edge of Tomorrow and I didnt expect much and what i got was a fucking amazing movie. I hate myself for not supporting it at the theaters.

Great film. He's done a lot of good to great films. Also recently a lot of shitty films too.

He always plays close to the same character however.

Swiss Ultimate 08-23-2018 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicky Fives (Post 5163403)
Never was a huge fan and only have seen a handful of his "classic" movies, not much of his recent stuff. Lots of respect for sticking around forever, but he's not for me. I want my action heroes to look like they could kick ass a la The Rock, Jason Statham, Marky Mark, etc.

Jason Statham is a way better actor than his choice of films would suggest, although he basically plays the same character every time too.

Simple Fan 08-23-2018 04:29 PM

I've only seen Jerry Maguire, Top Gun, Tropic Thunder, and Jack Reacher.

Seanny One Ball 08-23-2018 04:52 PM

Jack Reacher grew on me very quickly. As a die hard fan of the books I was dead against it but the first Jack Reacher is an excellent action film and it's fucking funny.

Simple Fan 08-23-2018 05:14 PM

I liked it, haven't read the book or seen the sequel.

Simple Fan 08-23-2018 05:18 PM

Holy shit forgot about Days of Thunder which is probably my favorite Tom Cruise movie.

Seanny One Ball 08-23-2018 05:26 PM

There are about twenty books. They should do Persuader next.

OverTaker 08-23-2018 05:27 PM

His acting was good in The war of the worlds.

El Vaquero de Infierno 08-23-2018 05:36 PM

War of the Worlds would have been great if it hadn't had that Dakota Fanning in it; she completely ruined the film. I wanted to slap her every time she appeared on screen.

ClockShot 08-23-2018 05:39 PM

God, Rain Man was fantastic.

On that note, Tom Cruise's early stuff when he hit the scene (A Few Good Men, Days of Thunder, Rain Man, The Firm, The Color of Money etc.) is his best work. I'd wish he'd go back to making films like that.

For about 10 years now, we've gotten Action Man Tom Cruise. 3-4 Mission Impossibles, The Mummy remake remake, Jack Reacher. I've avoided them all for the most part.

Batshit craziness and Scientology aside, he's great. But, I know he can do better films and get back in the Oscar conversation.

Lock Jaw 08-23-2018 06:49 PM

Really want to see The Last Samurai again...... pretty much since I saw it for the first time and loved it, and then subsequently always wanted to buy the DVD, but then never did, and haven't seen it since.

Seanny One Ball 08-23-2018 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lock Jaw (Post 5163654)
Really want to see The Last Samurai again...... pretty much since I saw it for the first time and loved it, and then subsequently always wanted to buy the DVD, but then never did, and haven't seen it since.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lock Jaw (Post 4926274)
I remember absolutely loving The Last Samurai when I saw it...... and I kept meaning to buy the DVD to watch whenever..... and I think I almost did a few times....... but then for whatever reason I never actually did, and I don't think I have seen it since that first time that I watched it. Which is really weird considering how much I loved it at the time.

There is one full year and almost exactly six months between these posts.

Just watch the fucking movie again mate. It's top class.

Seanny One Ball 08-23-2018 07:16 PM

In February 2020 when this comes up again you had better be prepared.

EIWF 08-23-2018 07:42 PM

I like his movies, think the religion thing damaged his pulling power at theatres some what.

I like minority report. I think hes a great actor. Enjoyed american made recently. Jack reacher and edge of tomorrow were much better then i expected.

Seanny One Ball 08-23-2018 07:54 PM

Tom Cruise movies consistently pull in hundreds of millions. A couple of low yields won't affect his average between blockbusters.

RP 08-23-2018 09:03 PM

the latest Mission Impossible movie might be the best action flick i've ever seen.

OverTaker 08-24-2018 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Vaquero de Infierno (Post 5163636)
War of the Worlds would have been great if it hadn't had that Dakota Fanning in it; she completely ruined the film. I wanted to slap her every time she appeared on screen.

I bet tom cruise did off camera.

Seanny One Ball 08-24-2018 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RP (Post 5163706)
the latest Mission Impossible movie might be the best action flick i've ever seen.

The Raid 2: Berandal, watch it.

Swiss Ultimate 08-24-2018 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lock Jaw (Post 5163654)

I think you can get it on ebay.

Rammsteinmad 08-26-2018 05:05 AM

I like some of his movies and dislike others. To me, he's pretty much doing the same thing in every film. Running, fighting, shouting, explosions in the background, more running and occasionally hiding and sweating a lot.

Popcorn movies. I don't take them too seriously so it doesn't really bother me. Wouldn't consider him one of the greatest though. While his body of work might justify such a claim, a lot of those films have been fairly subpar.

Tom Guycott 08-29-2018 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanny One Ball (Post 5162942)
Magnolia is it's own animal and it's an animal with the face of Tom Cruise.

Is it weird that this line made me think of a Sphinx specifically?

RP 08-29-2018 12:58 AM

I've not watched Magnolia tbh. I might soon.

RP 08-29-2018 12:59 AM

Nothing to do with Cruise. Wasnt Cameron Diaz involved in that movie? She's terrible.

Sixx 08-29-2018 01:00 AM

He seems like a cool guy to be around (unless he tries to recruit you to scinetology I guess) and the fact he does his own stunts is amazing. His film choices might not always be the best, but I like him.

Seanny One Ball 08-29-2018 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Guycott (Post 5165753)
Is it weird that this line made me think of a Sphinx specifically?

I imagine they have knocked up a life size sculpture exactly like that for when he dies and whoever's running it want to use him as a saint-like figure.