TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   wrestling forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Meltzer reports ESPN + likely the new home for WWE PPVs (Update Pg. 2) (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=136863)

slik 02-06-2020 03:21 PM

Meltzer reports ESPN + likely the new home for WWE PPVs (Update Pg. 2)

The Gist:

At the Q4 Vince said Network subscriptions are down 10% and Attendance is down 20% from this time last year. A big reason George Barrios/Michele Wilson were let go seems to be them advocating for the WWE Network to retain ppvs.

Vince is actively seeking a buyer, ideally another streaming service such as Hulu, Amazon, etc - to sell ppv rights to. This would mean WWE's live PPVs would no longer air on the WWE Network and fans would need to purchase them or get a subscription to another streaming service.

He is hopeful to make this happen ASAP. The idea of returning to traditional PPVs at the 50-60 dollars a ppv is also a possibility if he sees fit.

Can read more here and at all the various news sites who cover it even in further depth:

https://www.thewrap.com/wwe-stock-pl...-40-per-share/

Evil Vito 02-06-2020 03:26 PM

If that's the case, RIP WWE Network

Droford 02-06-2020 03:28 PM

The $50 ppv got killed by the network when it launched. You can still get them for from Directv but...why?

If PPVs go away then the network is dead, no one's gonna pay $10 for back catalog PPVs. It could stay free with ads but they won't put the money into it if it's free.

The advantage to selling to Hulu/Netflix etc is they get potentially more eyes on the product and more money upfront.

It's obviously going to be either Hulu or Netflix.

Emperor Smeat 02-06-2020 03:45 PM

That's a pretty terrible idea and just going to do even more damage to the Network.

Also they probably are going to do the same mistake like when the Network launched where they completely over-estimate the interest and value of their PPVs to both providers and customers.

Only reason AEW can get away with charging a premium for their PPVs is because they only hold a few per year and didn't purposely kill the value of their PPVs. WWE doesn't have that luxury in either case.

Wonder if NXT TakeOvers will also be sold as PPVs since that would just be another nail to the Network.

Sepholio 02-06-2020 03:54 PM

Ooooof

Sepholio 02-06-2020 03:55 PM

I bet his logic is that they will have more penetration on a larger streaming service and will increase ratings. I get that. But still ooooooof. Network will be doomed for sure.

slik 02-06-2020 03:58 PM

On Meltzer's board he speculates the most likely buyer might be DAZN. He said they've been wanting to get into wrestling ppvs for a while.

I'm not familiar with them at all - does anyone have experience with their site or app?

https://www.dazn.com/en-US/l/sports/

Sepholio 02-06-2020 04:02 PM

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I feel a boom in the age of piracy be comin mateys

Emperor Smeat 02-06-2020 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seph (Post 5319651)
I bet his logic is that they will have more penetration on a larger streaming service and will increase ratings. I get that. But still ooooooof. Network will be doomed for sure.

Vince and WWE legit used that same line of thinking when it came to them constantly bragging about their social media and Youtube exposure metrics and that resulted in basically nothing in terms of ratings boosts.

Droford 02-06-2020 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slik (Post 5319653)
On Meltzer's board he speculates the most likely buyer might be DAZN. He said they've been wanting to get into wrestling ppvs for a while.

I'm not familiar with them at all - does anyone have experience with their site or app?

https://www.dazn.com/en-US/l/sports/

They have rights to soccer and other niche sports in other countries but the only rights they have in the US are for Bellator and some minor boxing

It's $20/month or $100/year obviously a deal if they keep the $100 rate, but I wouldn't pay $20 a month for it

Droford 02-06-2020 04:15 PM

I'd rather pay a little more for the network and keep all the features the way they are then having to potentially pay more for Netflix/Hulu/Dazn and lose the back catalog of shows too.

If Amazon buys it, I'd be happy cause I already pay for prime. I just can't see it being Amazon.

Seanny One Ball 02-06-2020 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Droford (Post 5319647)
If PPVs go away then the network is dead, no one's gonna pay $10 for back catalog PPVs.

This is literally the only reason I ever got the network.
I bet a lot of people would still pay for it if they keep making documentaries and uploading classic territory footage.

XL 02-06-2020 04:29 PM

Nah, I’d be out. I go halves with a friend but it’s already lost value due to NXT now not being available to me the day after air. This would be me saying bye to the network as you can get the most decent stuff “elsewhere”.

rez 02-06-2020 04:52 PM

lolololool!

Emperor Smeat 02-06-2020 05:23 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">VKM: When you're playing with some of the majors [OTT players] it depends on negotiation. if we could keep it [WWE Network], absolutely.<br><br>Lightshed: Is WWE Network a must have for you?<br><br>VKM: Nothing is a must have. We'll deal with what's available.</p>&mdash; Brandon Thurston (@BrandonThurston) <a href="https://twitter.com/BrandonThurston/status/1225457978813317121?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 6, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Pretty much a vote of no confidence on the Network's future if the top guy in charge doesn't see it as a "must have" value.

screech 02-06-2020 05:35 PM

This seems like a bad idea.

But I usually watch the PPVs on Monday anyway so if they're still posted to the network the day after they air, I'm good.

RP 02-06-2020 05:51 PM

Is this going to screw up me finding a free stream online?

ClockShot 02-06-2020 05:53 PM

I doubt Amazon would pick up ppvs. So that leaves Hulu and Netflix.

Disney got a majority stake in Hulu. Which makes me wonder if they want the PPVs, they'll want more.

Netflix would be cool. But would I have to pay extra to my membership to get them. If so, how much extra? And would they even want sports.

Bigger question, how's the stock doing?

Emperor Smeat 02-06-2020 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClockShot (Post 5319672)
I doubt Amazon would pick up ppvs. So that leaves Hulu and Netflix.

Disney got a majority stake in Hulu. Which makes me wonder if they want the PPVs, they'll want more.

Netflix would be cool. But would I have to pay extra to my membership to get them. If so, how much extra? And would they even want sports.

Bigger question, how's the stock doing?

Dropped by almost 10% today.

Currently around the value it was before the new tv deals were announced.

Triple A 02-06-2020 08:20 PM

They really should try to just air WrestleMania on FOX to make it a big event like the Super Bowl (obviously not nearly as big)

erickman 02-06-2020 08:31 PM

are they going to try to get us to pay 50 bucks for there ppv's again good luck with that maybe mania but the others

screech 02-06-2020 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erickman (Post 5319692)
are they going to try to get us to pay 50 bucks for there ppv's again good luck with that maybe mania but the others

I'd pay for the Rumble, SummerSlam, and WrestleMania.

For any of the others, I'd have to be really blown away by the card (assuming they're all not available on demand anymore).

Seanny One Ball 02-06-2020 10:29 PM

The clue is in the term "Pay Per View".

Seanny One Ball 02-06-2020 10:31 PM

WWE viewers have had it too good for too long!

BigCrippyZ 02-06-2020 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screech (Post 5319700)
I'd pay for the Rumble, SummerSlam, and WrestleMania.

For any of the others, I'd have to be really blown away by the card (assuming they're all not available on demand anymore).

This. Not only have the devalued their own product by making every PPV worth less than $9.99, they've actually made their own PPV worth even less than $9.99 due to the awful quality of their product. This just shows how much of a fucking idiot Vince is and has been over the last 5+ years.

rez 02-06-2020 11:57 PM

WHO'S EXCITED FOR THE XFL THIS WEEKEND?!?!?!!!!?!! WHOOOOOO

I mean..fuck Vince but hope it lasts for the players, coaches, etc.

Destor 02-07-2020 12:33 AM

Bout time.

Droford 02-07-2020 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rez (Post 5319736)
WHO'S EXCITED FOR THE XFL THIS WEEKEND?!?!?!!!!?!! WHOOOOOO

I mean..fuck Vince but hope it lasts for the players, coaches, etc.

I actually am

Go defenders

SlickyTrickyDamon 02-07-2020 01:02 AM

Tickets arent bad for NY/NJ. 30 dollars.

If I ever go back to Metlife it will be too soon though. So, not going to happen.

erickman 02-07-2020 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanny One Ball (Post 5319718)
WWE viewers have had it too good for too long!

like jim cornett said wwe killed the pay per view now they won't be able to put the horse in the barn again. what they should have done from the start of the network is keep the big 4 pay per views off the network till a month after shown live.

DAMN iNATOR 02-07-2020 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seph (Post 5319654)
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I feel a boom in the age of piracy be comin mateys

Pirate Paul Burchill approves, me hearty.
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20151117071949

Auto-correct strikes again...:nono:

DAMN iNATOR 02-07-2020 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple A (Post 5319689)
They really should try to just air WrestleMania on FOX to make it a big event like the Super Bowl (obviously not nearly as big)

But would FOX really air a WrestleMania if it's theoretically like 8 or 9 hours long? Plus, if WWE wanted to add in commercial breaks and FOX was actually insane enough to air it, I doubt fans are sticking around for longer than an hour, *maybe* 2. Hell, it seems barely any stick around for 2 hours of NXT or SmackDown!.

Triple A 02-07-2020 02:53 AM

They should cut it down to like 4 hours

slik 02-07-2020 03:23 AM

If FOX aired WM the commercial breaks mid match, for that event in particular, would be weird. Same for the Royal Rumble.

I wonder if FB or YT is a possibility, WWE seems to have a great relationship with both. Could also be something 'out of nowhere' like CBS Sports. Will be very interesting to see what happens.

Mr. Nerfect 02-07-2020 03:41 AM

Very interesting move. WWE PPVs have been underpriced for some time. The Royal Rumble, WrestleMania, SummerSlam and Survivor Series should have always had an additional tag to them. This will probably make Vince McMahon a lot of money.

DaveWadding 02-07-2020 04:39 AM

Calling my shot: This is where Vince is fully able to get in bed with ESPN and the PPVs end up on ESPN +

Evil Vito 02-07-2020 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slik (Post 5319778)
If FOX aired WM the commercial breaks mid match, for that event in particular, would be weird. Same for the Royal Rumble.

Lol, commercials during the fucking Royal Rumble match would be a disaster.

Supreme Olajuwon 02-07-2020 07:58 AM

They should sponsor individual entrance spots in the Rumble.

Cole: And coming in at entrant number 15 it’s Roman Reigns brought to you by Hungry Man Frozen Dinners. You know Corey, Roman once eliminated 13 other superstars in a single Royal Rumble match, and folks if you want to eliminate your hunger in a single sitting check out the all new Hungry Man XXL Extreme dinners. Hungry Man: Eat Like a Man.

erickman 02-07-2020 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveWadding (Post 5319782)
Calling my shot: This is where Vince is fully able to get in bed with ESPN and the PPVs end up on ESPN +

more people will buy that hulu Disney plus espn + package that would be worth 12.50 if you ad wwe

Jordan 02-07-2020 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supreme Olajuwon (Post 5319792)
They should sponsor individual entrance spots in the Rumble.

Cole: And coming in at entrant number 15 it’s Roman Reigns brought to you by Hungry Man Frozen Dinners. You know Corey, Roman once eliminated 13 other superstars in a single Royal Rumble match, and folks if you want to eliminate your hunger in a single sitting check out the all new Hungry Man XXL Extreme dinners. Hungry Man: Eat Like a Man.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: