View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 02:59 AM   #4442
Jeritron
Get a poke on

Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
The Social Network - 7.5/10. Maybe it would be higher if I'd seen it earlier or was in a better mood. I don't think so, though. It was quite good, and held my interest strongly. But it was more or less just a very well-crafted account of a current event, unfolding in a very streamlined fashion.
I noticed this about Fincher first with Zodiac, and to a lesser extent, here.
It reminds me of All The President's Men. Though he does switch it up here with flash-forwards to legal depositions.

The movie also lacks strong characters, and any real weight.
Ultimately, I don't feel that The Social Network tells a story that offers anything of substance. Rather, it's content in being interesting and relevant enough to command an audience through a topic from the pulse. And it does that well.
And perhaps it shouldn't be any more than that. It's a saga that's still unfolding, and it doesn't really know it's identity yet. It's hard to make a statement at this stage.

I don't see how it "defines a generation" or "is a game changer", though. The subject matter certainly might, but not the film itself.
I'm not even sure I will see it again, tbh.

Buried - 7/10 - I took this on a recommendation. 'Twas pretty enjoyable and engaging, without getting too outrageous. Pretty successful minimalist thriller effort.
I only felt they began to stretch it in one place, but it was a short-lived moment.

Dinner for Schmucks 5/10. This is saying a lot, but somehow the strange plot was the only thing about this that held me. But I don't know how. It was terribly unfunny. I didn't laugh once, I don't think. It featured 3 or 4 great comedians, so it has no business not drawing some chuckles. They obviously had nothing to work with.
On top of that, the entire movie is just oddly sad.

Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps 6/10. A competently made sequel to Wall Street. Nothing more. Almost all points are awarded for Michael Douglas greatness, chewing the scenery and delivering some great lines.
The story was about as interesting as the original Wall Street, but that was never what mattered in that movie. It was about the statement and that's all lost here. It felt too much like a true sequel to a family story that never existed.
The social commentary and themes are pretty disappointing. Especially in the end. I'm not sure if it's because they're under-done, or over-done. It seems like both, in a way.
Those who have seen it may understand what I mean.

Last edited by Jeritron; 01-25-2011 at 03:23 AM.
Jeritron is offline   Reply With Quote