View Single Post
Old 09-08-2021, 07:21 AM   #7428
Destor
I am the cheese

Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Guycott View Post
I don't see it that way.

SPOILER: show

He "used magic because he was sad" anyway.

The existential impact on him from both things from both universes led to the same downward spiral. It wasn't him wrapping his entirety of meaning into not being able to doctor anymore because of his hands, it was him wrapping his entirety of meaning into her. He still lost something, and grief can lead you into weird places. I just figured he'd be looking into things more necromantic in this story than the dangerously preventative route it took.

I guess I just don't understand how "use magic to make my hands worky" is any less of a logic leap than "use magic to make my lover not dead".
SPOILER: show
traveling the world looking for unconventional healing methods is a thing people actually do. its real. so when you write that story is conoletely plausible that when writing a story about a guy who explores all western science and medicine that after he turns to eastern he hears a rumor of a healing magic and in his desperation turns to it.

none of this is true for super sad guys. he isnt traveling the world looking for ways to ressurect a lost lover. he doesnt believe in magic. this would have me believe he's traveling the world cause hes just so damn sad. like leaving the house is a trait of depression to begin with. and someone in his complete and utter depression he talks to people. that in it of itself is miraculous but no it goes further and after he explores all known methods hes told about magic via all this socializing he's doing and its the same magic he would have otherwise found out about because well how else will we bring in those actors from the movie.

and thats this in a nutshell its forced. instead of saying "lets let the premise take us where it should." allowing the story to write itself. we get "here's a premise but we need to fit in all this fan service too." and it isnt satisfying or clever. its hacky bull shit. hin losing his hands shouldn't lead to the same origin as losing his "heart." it isnt honest. its contrived and it doesnt have to be. and thats the wors part of all these eps. theyre just lazy.
Destor is offline   Reply With Quote