View Single Post
Old 09-05-2022, 01:34 PM   #14092
OssMan
The Classic Dylan Staples

OssMan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)OssMan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)OssMan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)OssMan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)OssMan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)OssMan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)OssMan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)OssMan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)OssMan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)OssMan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)OssMan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)OssMan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)OssMan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destor View Post
Lolita (1962) - 9/10

Very racey film for the peroid. It remains visually striking like all of Kubricks work. He frames his shots like theyre paintings making even the dullest scene interesting, not that any of these scenes are dull.

In a lot of ways this film is echoed later with Eyes Wide Shut but in obviously very different ways. The subject matter is more taboo today than then and it was way very taboo then. Kubrick is fearless though and goes headlong into a tale about sexual obsession with a minor and in this film there are no winners save the audience.
Cant imagine watching this, I read the book and despite it being fantastically written and engrossing it was thoroughly disgusting and i feel like what made the book so good was all the little details that get stripped away in film adaptations. I just watched Anna Karenina after reading it and the same thing happened there, these russian guys specialize in that stuff and the hollywood treatment just changes the focus of the work as a whole. I get that if you go into a film adaptation of the book looking for the same experience or w/e youre gonna be disappointed but that combined with the subject matter just yeah don't want to go near that
OssMan is offline   Reply With Quote