View Single Post
Old 02-15-2008, 08:18 PM   #4750
VonErichLives
DU's illegitimate brother

VonErichLives has a great deal of rep (15,000+)VonErichLives has a great deal of rep (15,000+)VonErichLives has a great deal of rep (15,000+)VonErichLives has a great deal of rep (15,000+)VonErichLives has a great deal of rep (15,000+)VonErichLives has a great deal of rep (15,000+)VonErichLives has a great deal of rep (15,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyG View Post
That is correct about you or VEL not being associated with the rule breaking. It just pisses me off about the Pats doing this bullshit. Especially after beating the Rams in the Superbowl.
See, that's the point... your pissed because the Rams lost in the superbowl to the Pats.

The fact is, it wasn't a rule back then, the fact is every team does everything it can to get one up on their opponents, plenty of teams video tape (again, you can film exactly what the pats filmed as long as your in the press box). What they filmed wasn't illegal, it was the location of the camera person.

Heck, Jimmy Johnson admitted he had someone do the same taping but couldn't make much use of it. He even said he used to have people go through the trash of the visit teams coaches box.

The reality is, the Pats taping the defensive signals probably had little effect on the game vs the Rams, you would have to assume that the Pats figured out the signals (keep in mind most teams have 2 or 3 people who send them in to keep people guessing) and that the Rams used the same signals in the superbowl that they used in week #10, and then assume the Patriots figured out which person was giving the legit signals, got the info to Charlie which allowed him to call a play that would work against that defense before the clock expired. even if that was all true, it still doesn't explain why the "greatest show on turf" couldn't score enough points to win.

No, I'm not calling Spector a liar and you knew that, Stima explained it perfectly.

Of course a lot of people don't like the Patriots, a lot didn't like the yankees when they kept winning, etc... etc... when 1 team wins there are fans of every other team who wanted to win and when a team stays succesful people get tired of their team not winning.

But whatever makes you guys feel better about your losses.

personally, I just tip my hat to the Giants (same way I did the Colts last year) and say good job. I don't need to find reasons to make the losses feel better.

The Patriots broke a rule week #1, they were punished, it had no effect on the season. It wasn't a rule in 2001 so no rule was broken.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Quote:
Steelers say taping didn't affect outcome of games against Patriots
February 15, 2008

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- The New England Patriots' taping of opposing coaches' signals did not affect the outcome of games against the Steelers, including two AFC Championship games, Steelers chairman Dan Rooney said Friday.

"We consider the tapes of our coaching staff during our games against the New England Patriots to be a non-issue," Rooney said in a statement. "In our opinion, they had no impact on the results of those games."

Rooney's comments were fueled by remarks Thursday by U.S. Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., who has questioned whether the NFL has properly handled allegations that Patriots coach Bill Belichick had assistants videotape opponents' signals.

ADVERTISEMENT
NFL officials indicate the Patriots taped the Steelers' coaches during AFC Championship games at the end of the 2001 and 2004 seasons, and during regular-season games in 2002 and 2004, Specter said. The Steelers lost all but the 2004 regular-season game.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell fined Belichick $500,000 and the Patriots $250,000 and docked the team a first-round draft pick.

Specter has criticized Goodell for destroying the tapes after the league's internal investigation.

But Rooney said Goodell and the league took the "appropriate action" in punishing the Patriots.

"We are confident that the commissioner has taken appropriate action in his investigation of this matter, and will do so again if new information arises which requires further investigation and/or discipline," Rooney said.
on a funny side note to all this, the NFL had already printed up a ton of 19-0 stuff to have ready to sell, they donated it Nicaragua

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3247804