Thread: The WWF in 1991
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2020, 03:44 PM   #11
RaginRonic
Hellraiser Extraordinaire

RaginRonic is good (20,000+)RaginRonic is good (20,000+)RaginRonic is good (20,000+)RaginRonic is good (20,000+)RaginRonic is good (20,000+)RaginRonic is good (20,000+)RaginRonic is good (20,000+)RaginRonic is good (20,000+)
I'm just going to throw some mental spaghetti at the wall here, and see what sticks. My brain can only do that on this right now.

I think that 1991 can be seen as a bit of an experimental year for the WWF, and here's why.

In 1991, the WWF ended up, in it's main event scene, doing something that kind of resembled a lite version of what, 6 years later, ended up being 'The Attitude Era'.

The 1991 storyline that travelled that road involved the following 8 talents.

Hulk Hogan
The Ultimate Warrior
'Macho Man' Randy Savage
Miss Elizabeth
Sid Justice
Jake 'The Snake' Roberts
Paul Bearer
The UnderTaker

The 1st half of the storyline, from what I observed, was Jake engaging in his manipulations of Ultimate Warrior. that was triggered by A] UnderTaker dumping Warrior into the steel casket on the Funeral Parlor, and B] Jake's descent into darkness after Earthquake ended Damien, and turned Damien into food.

That kind of material is not really something that would be geared too well to an audience of kids ranging in age from 7-11 for 1991 standards.

Due to the fact that, after SummerSlam 1991, we didn't get to see the payoff between Roberts & Warrior(which would've led to Roberts being liquified by an intensely pissed off Warrior), everything about that transitioned into the other 5 getting involved in a 2-front narrative, with the first front being Sid coming to Savage and Liz's rescue at the failed reception, and then Taker going after the WWF Championship held by Hogan.

The darkest parts of the 2nd half ended up being A] the king cobra biting Savage, B] Roberts slapping Elizabeth, and C] Roberts wanting to put Liz to sleep with a chair shot to the head.

As we know, Taker saved Liz, turned on Roberts, and beat him at WM VIII in 1992, which to me, ended all of the different parts of that storyline, with the rest of the remnants being swept away when Hogan beat Justice that same night. Possible that Sid's personality heeled off when he got exposed to Jake's corruptive influence?

It was a decent attempt to create more mature programming for the 1991 version of the WWF, but the fanbase wasn't really ready to see that happen yet, and it kind of flew under the radar. Had that happened 5 years later, in 1996, it'dve been given more attention, and the fans would've ate that narrative up like ThanksGiving/Christmas dinner.

Does that make sense?
RaginRonic is offline   Reply With Quote