View Single Post
Old 05-18-2019, 08:11 PM   #3
Kalyx triaD
Raw Video Footage

Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Had I known how fun, open ended, deep, satisfying, and just plain fun (x2) this game was I would have day one'd this bitch. With news of a big Year 2-ish expansion, I won't make that mistake again.

Based on previews and research of the series when this launched I found this to be Capcom's Destiny before Destiny, in terms of a real-time action RPG that you play with others. Now playing it there is definitely that vibe, with a very similar game loop of 'party up, gear up, missions/side quests/free roam, back to base, gear up, etc'.

The multiplayer function is very awkward, with an odd take that everybody exists in a server (or Session), but otherwise play independent of each other like... concurrent single player. There's only one area in the home base that acts as a hub where you see other players.

Once you post activities using a literal quest board, which essentially feels like GTA's job lists, others can join. It's clunky but you get used to it.

The combat controls, despite how it looks and what you'd think Capcom would do, is not Hack n Slash, where attacks auto track enemies. The combat however is so satisfying that you'll 'get it' once you take out your first big beast. Controls are a learning curve and you'll constantly ask why the hell is this or that, but again you'll come to find it works for a reason.

True Story:

So me and three others are hunting this raptor looking asshole, but to capture. He's a smartass who actually picks up rocks, which blocks attacks from the front. He'll also throw the damn thing if you're not careful. I use my slinger, a universal weapon, to shoot rocks at him which makes him drop the rock eventually. In this time my other buddy lays big damage from the side - until he gets roundhoused. Mid and large monsters have attacks from all sides, within their own movelists you have to learn by observation.

We finally get him weak enough to limp away to his lair. There we set a trap while he's sleep and wake him up before he recovers too much HP from resting. Bastard needs to be led into the trap, so I act as bait pissing him off with more sling shot hits. He falls into the trap, but we forgot to bring any tranq. We kill him and fail the mission. But we get him next time.

Like GTA or Red Dead, there's plently stories that form out of just playing the game that sounds like bullshit when you tell non-players.
Kalyx triaD is offline   Reply With Quote