View Single Post
Old 09-17-2016, 06:51 AM   #28730
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post
Cena turning heel would definitely be an amazing thing for the company. Too bad it'll never happen.

Oh, I'm not saying you couldn't get more ratings out of the show, but you'll never reach Attitude Era levels of viewership. Fixing all the problems we've gone over would probably bring back a HUGE portion of the ex-fans who've dropped off over the years. People who haven't watched wrestling since they were kids might tune in again. However, I don't think anything will ever bring in people who just have no interest in wrestling. You're not gonna catch someone who's never had any sort of exposure or interest in the product and change their mind no matter how great your product is. With comic book movies you could do this because despite comics being an extremely niche product putting them in a movie format and changing them the way they have makes it possible for mainstream audiences to see it as "worthy." I think the same can be said of a movie like The Wrestler which I remember tons of people in my life who've never watched wrestling talking about. However, actual wrestling will always be the comic book in this situation. I think you can grow it like you said, but there's always gonna be a pretty hard cap on how far that growth goes, and I think WWE needs to come to terms with that and just focus on shooting for that cap.
I completely agree with this, and have often thought of comic books being quite similar to wrestling. Except I'd argue that comics have enjoyed a heightened success due to the success of Marvel/DC movies (although I haven't actually seen numbers to back this up).

I actually think the ratings share for wrestling should be much higher than it's ever been -- given that, as people point out, television itself seems to be a dying medium in the form of network television and cable. What else are people watching on a Monday night if not new live content? I don't think it's just that wrestling is niche, but it seems to be something that people are actively avoiding.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote