View Single Post
Old 12-06-2021, 08:15 AM   #269
drave
In His hands...

drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noid
I think Jericho's recent run is completely overrated from every standpoint other than Jericho's performance. Like, Jericho is king, so he puts the hard work in and it shines, but on paper it was so average it hurts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screech
lol why does it matter what it looked like on paper if it worked on the show?

Quote:
Bad ideas executed well aren't necessarily good ideas. And it doesn't take a genius to say "Hey Jericho, go and be Jericho." It's nice to see Jericho making money from the company, but I could have done without pretty much all of it. Far from Jericho's most significant or best work. Some people say that it is. I say that's overrating it by quite a lot.

Most of what I saw of it was Jericho polishing turds. That's got charm to it. And that's how I'd describe Jericho's recent run: charming. But give that shit to anyone else and it fucking sucks hard. I'd rather just not see the turds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noid
It was literally being discussed because Jimmy Jacobs was credited with writing it. It's not something that got over because it was some genius piece of crafted fiction. It's something that got over because Jericho is so fucking good. With anyone else it's just another tag team splitting up (which is what it turned out to be anyway).

This is Russo taking credit for the This is Your Life segment. No one was like "Oh, This is Your Life...awesome!" It was "holy shit, The Rock is funny." There's nothing inherently good about a "Festival of Friendship" idea. In fact, it sounds fucking shit. Jericho stealing the show despite this made it fairly memorable for modern stuff. Alleging that Jimmy Jacobs is some sort of creative genius for helping Jericho get dumb stuff over is a far cry from him being a good "writer" or even booker.

More power to the guy. I liked the Lacey stuff. But WWE has vastly been shit. He has been helping writing it. I'm not going to think the dude is an amazing writer now just because he's outside the big evil company instead of contributing to it.

God, people are so easily worked. Jimmy Jacobs could give your average internet fan's sister herpes, then get sympathy from them because his dick's itchy. And people say that kayfabe wouldn't work today.

Quote:
I barely know or care who Jimmy Jacobs is. If he wrote it or didn't, or took credit for it - who cares?

My question, which you still haven't answered even in this essay, is why does it matter what it looks like on paper if it worked on the show?

Whether or not you like who wrote it or how it seemed it would be is irrelevant if the end result is something you've admittedly enjoyed. Jericho was given an idea to work with and he crushed it, as usual. Are you unable to just enjoy that part of it without bitching?

Quote:
Because that is what we were talking about. It's the whole conversation.

Your question is not pertinent. I have very purposefully avoided engaging with it.

I actually didn't enjoy the segment. I'm sorry if I gave that impression. I can accept that people generally enjoyed it though. I'm not a big fan of Jericho's latest run. I just appreciate him as a talent. But I could do without the list stuff entirely. It's been well-received though, so whatever. My point is just that I believe he deserves all the credit for that, because the things he was given to do were, in my opinion, terrible. You can disagree with me on that, and that's fine. But your question about how it ended up isn't relevant to my line of thinking, because how it was exists outside star and performance is entirely my concern.

And before you go and ask the same question again, that is because that is what I am talking about. I don't care if something is shit when it is written and then turns out to be great, except when I am talking specifically about how it is shit when it's written. Within that context, yes, that is everything to do with the point I am making. Why were we talking about that? Because I asked what Jimmy Jacobs did and someone said "He's been given credit for this," and I said "Eh, I don't think he deserves credit for that." That is what we were talking about. Who takes credit is the subject matter. Not whether or not that ultimately matters.
drave is offline   Reply With Quote