View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 12:57 AM   #4542
Tom Guycott
I W C DEEZ NUTZ!

Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Are the controls for Tony Hawk 1 + 2 any better?

I should prob'ly explain the question more clearly... by convoluting it up!

The original THPS was a groundbreaking game, but with the "benefit" of hindsight, the controls AND collision detection have aged like fine dogshit. I tried to go back and play the original on Playstation, and I was legit astonished as to how I was ever good at it. I remember relentlessly trying to single string combo The Mall from starting hallway to the finish line back in the day (and getting close, but I would always fuck up somewhere in the middle and hit the ground) and getting insane scores at Area 51... but when I fired it up years later, I barely could get past the school. Each subsequent game in the series got more polished in controls being less clunky and more responsive. 3 and 4 are considerably easier to go back and play, but aren't as fondly remembered.

Then, they had that "remaster" like, what, seven years or so ago? And they said they intentionally kept the controls as terrible as possible [paraphrasing in my own words], for the original integrity or somesuch. It somehow felt worse trying to play that version than booting up a PSX and using the original hardware. There were also songs missing.

Did they tighten up the controls and include the ENTIRE soundtrack(s) this time?
Tom Guycott is offline   Reply With Quote