View Single Post
Old 04-07-2019, 11:29 PM   #6
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Thanks, #1-wwf-fan. You're easily one of the coolest people on these forums.

It really doesn't worry me. If I feel I'm being too negative, that is when I do watch some of the modern product, and it justifies everything. I don't want wrestling to be shitty, any more than the shadenfreude of the WWE pushing fans away and creating a mobilized pack of disinterested wrestling fans that are going to be pretty open to trying new things. I've been very supportive of AEW getting off the ground, and generally pretty high on New Japan getting more traction, even if I don't think everything they do is fucking awesome just because it's New Japan.

I just can't see past how objectively bad WWE is, and I think it's a false premise to suggest that just because you're a fan of wrestling, wrestling history and are nostalgic for the drama of what wrestling can achieve, you still have to be reasonably positive about the current WWE product. I also find the irony of people that complain about my criticisms as impeding them from enjoying the product not appreciating that their assertions that my thoughts need to conform to their tastes as pretty rich.

If you don't want to discuss my criticisms of wrestling with me -- fine. I come here to discuss what works in wrestling, what doesn't and why, because it interests me. Enjoy what you enjoy, but if you're going to jam a gif in my face and I don't like it, I'm going to talk about that for anyone that does want to discuss those things.

The truth is, sometimes I DO hate being a wrestling fan, because the future of WWE is pretty grim and lifeless, and given that they roll in cash and have commitments to generate five hours of bulk volume entertainment for at least another three years, that's just the way that is. But fuck anyone who tells me that I'm a fuckwit for enjoying what I enjoy -- the background context of wrestling. Sure, I'm trapped to my fandom to a degree, but things like AEW will hopefully make that a little less bleak over the next few years. We'll see.

But yeah, I've made steps like many others have. I don't watch WWE weekly, whereas I used to (and didn't even hate it, as much as the product was never always hititng me in the sweet spot). I've stopped having blind optimism that the product is going to get better. It's not, folks. Not until something forces WWE to change, whether that be their ratings, their ratings comparatively, network directives or Vince McMahon's own competitive nature. I cancelled the Network, because as much as I love having a library of PPVs at my fingertips, I could not financially support a company that does the shit they do. WWE crowning Jinder Mahal was my last straw. I don't invest anywhere near as much time on wrestling, and it honestly makes me feel better as opposed to like I've lost something, because WWE gave up on my dignity as a viewer a long time ago. And I think that's reflected in their shrinking audience and these boards never being quieter.

I'm a wrestling addict who gets cravings, but WWE is not my drug of choice, and I can't see them giving me a suitable high for quite a long time. So fuck them, and fuck anyone who tells me that I should have to subject myself to that just because they personally think it's sad I don't like what they like.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote