View Single Post
Old 10-12-2018, 02:31 AM   #943
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I really like the angle coming out of their latest show, provided I've got the history right:

SPOILER: show
* Okada joined with Gedo when he challenged Tanahashi and surprisingly won the IWGP Heavyweight Title from Tanahashi, right? If that's the case, then Gedo has been with Okada through his entire run as The Rainmaker.

* Okada and Tanahashi had a classic series of matches, that I believed ended in respect with Tanahashi claiming a final stake at the title and he would not bother Okada if Okada won.

* This is about the time Jay White was offered to train at the New Japan Dojo.

* Okada managed to continue as the ace, eventually having the greatest IWGP Heavyweight Title reign of all-time (in terms of stats).

* Okada lost the belt and then underwent a change. The loss really affected him.

* Okada failed to win the G1 and failed to beat Tanahashi, the man he now respects, to win the Tokyo Dome title shot.

* I'm not sure if this is overtly the story they are going to tell, but I like the idea of Gedo, the evil genius behind Chaos, beginning to lose a bit of faith in Okada the moment he began to "soften" on Tanahashi. But of course you stick with him while he's winning. But in the meantime, he found a guy that he will train to be Okada's kryptonite, if you will. Jay White has been a Gedo project in secret since 2013.

* Gedo attacked both Tanahashi and Okada. Tanahashi is the guy Gedo wanted to destroy, Okada is the "failed weapon" against him. Now he needs his Switchblade to enact revenge on both of them.

* Jay White obviously has the backing of New Japan, and he has been impressing fans more and more, but he is lacking that "oomph" that a lot of other rising stars have. Yet there is danger in him being paired with Gedo, because the last time Gedo did this, Okada won the IWGP Title out of nowhere. You can sell Gedo as a "starmaker" who takes guys from the middle to the top very quickly. He did it with Okada, he's going to do it with White.

* I like White as the choice, because he is quite unassuming in many ways, and he doesn't come with the "American cred." He's not dipping his toes in as many pools and seems mainly focused on New Japan. I also like that he's not a guy that people have "pegged," so his rise is both surprising and something a bit foreign or bitter. It's not simply a guy people love getting a push, it's this outlier of people's imaginations getting the push. It kind of reminds me how people thought Vince McMahon could turn people into stars during the Attitude era. You never knew where the next one could come from.

* I'm actually completely down for Okada vs. White at the Tokyo Dome. People might see it as a "waste" of Okada, but I really like the potential story here. And I like how it is a "schism" in how you would expect the top matches to turn out.

With a single angle and a couple of chair shots, New Japan have launched an angle with six years of history. You don't get to see that in WWE these days. And to be honest, I'm completely down with White beating Okada at the Dome. I feel that would be "shocking" and be a huge boost to this White/Gedo pairing. I think Tanahashi has beaten Okada twice at Wrestle Kingdom, but outside of that, I think Okada has won all his WK matches.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote