Thread: MLB Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2014, 09:10 PM   #401
Evil Vito
President of Freedonia

Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Well after a fucking pitiful performance against the Padres, I will take a page out of Damian Rey's book and take a look at some trade candidates for the Mets:

BARTOLO COLON
I expect Colon's name to be tossed around more than any other Met at the deadline. He's given up a lot of home runs this year and his overall numbers don't look particularly flashy, but then again the 4/13 start against the Angels and 5/12 start against the Yankees really fucked up his numbers. Take those out and he's having a very solid year, especially in his last 5 starts where he's put up a 1.83 ERA. I'm not convinced a contender will give up much more than a mid-level prospect for him given that he's 41 and is under contract for 2015 at $11 million. But, he has a rubber arm and is dependable so I'd guess the Mets will still get plenty of calls on him. With Harvey coming back next year to go along with all of their other young pitching they probably won't need him.

DANIEL MURPHY
Murph has been the Mets' most consistent hitter all season, made even more apparent with Wright in a complete tailspin over the past couple of weeks. As of right now, Murph is slashing .299/.356/.419 with 16 doubles. Not a big power hitter (has 5 HR now, usually gets around 10-13) but he absolutely knows how to find the gaps. Easily the Met most deserving of going to Minnesota in July. He's got one year of arbitration left and is forecasted to get somewhere around $10 million for 2015. He isn't really good defensively and makes some dumb baserunning decisions, but he is pretty much the perfect hitter for Citi Field. For that reason, I'd really want the Mets to lock him down for like 4 years and $40 million since he'll surely want more than that if he has another big year next year, but I doubt the Mets do it. Overall it would take a big haul for the Mets to move Murph now, they're more likely to trade him next year or keeping him through 2015 and letting him leave for nothing, but I figured he was at least worth being in the discussion.

DILLON GEE
Gee's injury was really shitty timing. He's been red hot ever since May 2013. Was putting together a really solid campaign this year with a 2.73 ERA and 1.06 WHIP. He'll hopefully be back by July. I expect there will still be interest in him, though. He's still relatively young at 28, under team control for 3 more seasons, and is showing that 2013 wasn't a fluke. In a way I feel bad for Dillon. Everybody knows the Mets need to deal from their pitching depth, and Gee is always the one that gets cast off with Harvey, Wheeler, Syndergaard, Niese, deGrom, Montero, Verrett, etc. all in the mix for next year. If I had to guess I'd say the Mets keep him this year and hope for a huge second half to maximize his trade value for the off-season. Either way I'd be fairly surprised if he is a Met in 2016.

BOBBY ABREU
I'm listing Abreu here, at age 40 he's worked his way back into the starting lineup although that might say more about the state of the Mets than Abreu himself. Still, he's slashing .307/.379/.453 in limited play and could get some suitors looking for a veteran presence off the bench. Every year though the Mets find themselves with a veteran having a good year that they SHOULD trade (Scott Hairston in 2012, LaTroy Hawkins last year) and they never pull the trigger because they want to pretend they care about the second half even when they're clearly not a playoff team. Could see that being the case with Abreu this year.

DAISUKE MATSUZAKA
Dice-K has been way better than I ever thought possible this year. He only recently got forced into the rotation out of necessity, but really I think his best value is out of the bullpen (even if he does have to comically start warming up 3 innings before he enters the game). His versatility may have extended his MLB career, as he's done enough good this year where I could see him landing a job somewhere next year. Much like Abreu the Mets might keep him anyway and I doubt teams would be knocking down the doors for him, but I could see a contender wanting to add a swingman for depth.

CHRIS YOUNG
I'm not sure why I'm even putting him on this list. Best case scenario for him was that he had a decent first half and got flipped for a mid-level prospect in July. That's no longer in play because Young has been fucking atrocious, slashing .196/.283/.313 and he makes $7.5 million. Mets would need to pay his entire salary in a trade and they wouldn't get anything for him, anyway. He got the golden sombrero today, starting only because Granderson is hurt. It's telling that he's otherwise been benched even with Juan Lagares and Eric Young Jr on the DL. Just what a waste. I didn't think it was possible for a 1-year deal to be THIS bad but somehow it has been. I shed a tear thinking of what the Mets could have done with that $7.5 million. Hell they still could have brought CY in for about 1/4 of the price if they had just waited rather than blowing him away with an offer in fucking November. Hopefully they just release him outright once Lagares gets back. A total sunk cost.

Honorable mention would go to Jon Niese, who might be in serious All Star Game consideration. Having a really good year, is young, left-handed, and has a team-friendly contract. Could probably get a good return for him. Would be shocked if the Mets move him though since there are no lefty SPs on the horizon. Closest is probably Steven Matz, who is only in Single A and has 2 more option years left.