View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 12:06 AM   #9
Destor
I am the cheese

Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nerfect View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that WCW making mistakes was why the WWF got hot. I only brought it up as extra background.

I've heard you talk about Starrcade '97 as a crunch point for the company and it being when things really went off the ledge. Or maybe I've crossed wires somewhere? But what are your thoughts on that?
97 was a big moment. Had they got Starrcade 97 right...man. The ripples of that cards failure cant be understated. They go into 98 with a huge portion of the fanbase disgruntled. The year starts rocky but not BECAUSE of 98. But they do good work throughout the year of 98. Ratings have slipped (and yes i fully contend starrcade is the catalysts) but the moves they make in 98 are good.

Namely goldberg and the wolfpack. Both generate merch sales and tickets. Logically nash v goldberg is a money match. And then 1 year later after their unprecedented failure they shit the bed again and it was all over from there. The fall was unaviodable. Had they got it right at starrcade 98 it might have gone very different. But 2 years straight of failed super cards...it was all over.

But 98 on its own. Good year. The argument could be made that DDP at havok was a failure and they shoulda pulled the trigger on him then but thats hard to say. Personally if i rebooked that year ddp/goldberg would have been the money match at starrcade 98 with ddp ending the streak clean.

But it is what is.
Destor is offline   Reply With Quote