View Single Post
Old 06-04-2017, 11:26 AM   #6
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
* Sheamus winning the WWE Title from John Cena at TLC 2009. Not for any particular reason. I just didn't think they'd actually try and go with him that early. I'm glad it galvanized Ireland behind the WWE for life, just like Jinder Mahal will do with India though.

* Mankind winning the WWF Title for the first time too, and not just because the pop is shocking by today's standards. In retrospect, I'm not sure Austin helping Mankind win the WWF Title even makes sense. But it was Austin, and he could do whatever the hell he likes. Mankind gets the Mandible Claw on The Rock, before Ken Shamrock cracks a chair off Mankind's back. Billy Gunn then manages to not completely fuck-up taking Shamrock out of the equation, spilling with him to the outside, as Vince -- an infinitely better heel than Stephanie McMahon -- guffaws around the ringside area, worried about losing control of the situation. He's about to. Austin's music hits, and the crowd goes nuts. Anyone who thinks Tye Dillinger is over should check out that moment. Austin hits the ring, picks up the chair, and casually just kills the fucking Rock with it. He puts Mankind on top of The Rock. The people in the back stop marking out and realize shit's about to go down and cut the real Franchise's fucking music. The referee slides into position -- 1-2-3. The crowd goes crazy and Austin walks back to the ringside area and gives Vince the two-finger salute, before throwing his hat at Vince, who registers, but doesn't sell -- this isn't the old WWF Title belt we're talking about here.

* The date is September 20, 1997; the location is Birmingham, England. Reigning WWF European Champion, "The British Bulldog" Davey Boy Smith, dedicates his scheduled title defence to his cancer-stricken sister. His opponent is accomplished, but Davey Boy Smith has the home-field advantage, baby... Shawn Michaels winning the European Title from The British Bulldog wasn't that shocking, but what absolutely was shocking was the return match -- in Davey Boy's hometown of Manchester, doing record business at the Manchester Arena, as The British Bulldog looks to reclaim his...oh...

* JBL beating Eddie Guerrero. At least, I must have been in shock, because I was numb to the next 8 months.

* Daniel Bryan winning the WWE Title from John Cena at SummerSlam was shocking in such a "They're not actually going to do it," sort of way. Daniel Bryan actually winning the WWE Title was invigorating. He may have lost it a second later, but that was obviously all part of the WWE's master-plan to make Bryan a massive star. That is why Bryan's win here is emphasized so heavily in the "Monster" music video at WrestleMania next year. Well, I mean, at least the Triple H betrayal is in there.

* Zack Ryder winning the Intercontinental Title at WrestleMania 32. There's surely something clever to be said about it, but I don't know what it is.

Last edited by Mr. Nerfect; 06-04-2017 at 11:44 PM.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote