View Single Post
Old 04-29-2023, 11:19 PM   #1
Destor
I am the cheese

Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Best Boxing Film

There's been some great ones but for me it comes down to 3 contenders. Id like to be edgey and "hip" and name some lesser known titesbut honestly i think the top 3 are so strong its hard to argue for anything else. I guess im making this thread to see if anyone has a hot take out there.

Anyways my top 3:

3. Million Dollar Baby (2004)

I can still remember how angry i was when Jamie Foxx won best actor for Ray over Eastwood. Sure Eastwood already has his trophy but id wager this is his 2nd best performance only behind Unforgiven (which he won Best Actor for.)

Still and amazing film. 4 academy awards. Bet picture, best actress, best suporting actor (Freeman) and best director. And it deserved every single one. A truly special picture that holds up over countless viewings and has all the depth you could want at every level of inspection.

2. Rocky (1976)

Probably for many this is no.1. You'd be hard to dispute it. The story of Stalone writing this deserves all the legacy this film has garnered in of itself. It won best picture, editing and director and was robbed of best original screenplay. It was nominated for basically everything imaginable.

The film is woven into Americana. If legacy is the sole metric these things are decided on Rocky is THE boxing picture. Absolutely has stood the test of time.

1. Raging Bull (1980)

This is one of my favorite films. I think its Scorsese's best work. This stands as the 2nd most perplexing defeat in Oscar history to me. Its nominated for basically everthing and somehow loses best picture. It loses best director. It doesnt even get nominated for best adapted screenplay. Most shamefully is loses cinematography...fucking how... Rightfully it takes best actor and editing.

The film is as masterpiece. The boxing itself is sharp and violent. The character study is complex and enthralling. The black and white allows it to completely timeless. The acting is as good as it ever gets. Its qualify it as a perfect picture. I couldn't criticize it if you paid me.

So here sits a top 3 that to me feels completely inevitable. Maybe a person puts Rocky at the top but are there any boxing films that podium other than these?

Destor is offline   Reply With Quote