Thread: Ratings Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2019, 03:45 PM   #768
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose Cannon View Post
I'll admit, i love coming into this thread and seeing that the rating went down because i quit watching the product because i think it's shit. so it's nice to see them on their ass.

However, i know that TV ratings is not the end all be all in 2019. The E has so many other avenues of revenue AND ways to watch their programming now and days that the TV rating really doesn't give you the whole picture. hell you can pretty much watch the episode of RAW from the night before by watching 9 clips on You Tube . That's what i do now. I'll read the results, see what was decent and pull up You Tube.

What i would like to see sf the ticket sales numbers I think that's a better # then tv ratings. That PPV in Washington last week looked like they didn't sell shit. that's a more jarring number then the tv rating decline
The thing is, they really don't have a lot of successful revenue streams. They're reliant on that TV rights money. I suppose the Saudis pay big too. Everything else is down and I think it's accepted that if they didn't have that TV money, WWE would not be turning a profit.

Despite what Destor's saying, WWE needs its TV, which means the metrics that measure it are the most important thing. I don't understand the red herring of "Nielson isn't the best indicator of what kids are doing." It's irrelevant to the conversation. They get their money from NBC Universal and FOX. Their standing with them matters. If the kids aren't watching because they spend more time on their phones, then that's its own issue, and it is an issue, and I don't see how that helps WWE at all, considering what they want are viewers so that their TV is valuable.

If these amazing social media numbers were somehow translating to ticket sales, Network subscriptions or merchandise sales, it would be a lovely point about how WWE's business strategy is changing -- but it's not and they're still very much reliant on that TV audience that just isn't there.

Unfortunately, because I also like seeing them get their just desserts, I have a feeling that with Bonnie Hammer heading up the NBC Universal streaming app, WWE producing live content every week is going to be useful for that, and they're going to get paid out the ass next time that contract is up to provide content that can go on that as well as on Hulu and USA Network through the death rattle of cable. The one thing Destor said that is a pretty good point is that we are one idea away from everything changing. It's possible that WWE begin making money in an entirely new way and can keep paying big juicy dividends to their investors. Except the problem is that they are facing a popularity issue (as reflected by not only TV metrics, but those other failing revenue streams). The product is bad and people are getting sick of it. Fewer people are watching. The WWE is burning out more and more people. It's not some loyalty to Nielson that has people blinded.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote