View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 11:05 AM   #47104
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fignuts View Post
Noid, there are absolutely troglidites on the opposite end of outrage culture who, as you say, use it as an excuse for their prejudices, or to look "hard" on the internet.

That doesn't mean there isn't a large group of extremists who have pushed the noble cause of tolerance and equality so far past the point of reason that it is eating itself. They're literally hurting their own causes. Not that they likely care that much. A lot of them are blatantly transparent. Just a bunch of uninteresting people using actually cultural and societal problems to make themselves seem interesting.

Meanwhile there are those of us who want all that tolerance and equality, without losing ourselves to the crusade of achieving it. I mean, I don't know what it's like where you're from, but here we get headlines like an RA at Pitzer college sending out an email stating it was unacceptable for caucasions to wear hoop earings as it's "culturally offensive". Or a Seattle councilman expressing concern that hosing down some filthy sidewalks that smelled of excrement might be insensitive “because it brought back images of the use of hoses against civil-rights activists.” Or a private college in New York deeming larger size chairs a "microaggression", that shames fat people. These are just a few examples but there are literally hundreds of headlines like this, across the country every week.

At the end of the day, people need to chill out and just treat everyone else how they would like to be treated regardless of skin color, gender, nationality, etc., without losing our god damn sense of humor.
I’m sorry, but this line always comes off as obtuse to me. Like, what do your first paragraphs even mean? It sounds like an excuse to be an asshole because you don’t like the people making valid points? I don’t understand the whole “Oh, I don’t like racism, but these people who protest racism really piss me off so they are to blame for racism and not racists” position people take. Blame the racists.

I appreciate you took the time to type that much out, but I don’t agree. A lot of those headlines and instances are made up (like The Rock one) or a very anamolous outlier. Education institutes in Australia are pretty liberal. That’s despite a conservative government that whinges about this sort of stuff all the time and just uses it as a smokescreen to continue pushing racist and phobic policies. Like, a lot of that stuff is just myth and when you research it. We get stories all the time like that over here, and you research it and it turns out no, people don’t really want anyone with earrings to be expelled or whatever.

Eh, I’m your own time, if these things upset you, I recommend really researching them and finding out whether or not that’s an actual thing that’s happening and what the actual scenario is and what is actually driving it. Like, is a professor being fired because of unreasonable students, or because they have been continuously asked to address students by their preferred names, etc., and received multiple warnings from a private institute. Is someone being criticised because they are wearing earrings, or because when they were explained why those earrings might not be appropriate for an event, they scoffed and wore them anyway? You’d be surprised how much is there to make valid points seem ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Fan View Post
I didn't grow up with my father around and I'm not a news paper or meme guy but you did show an actual example of a cop-out with that last sentence. If you think discrimination is as prevalent or even important enough to be offended by, you are adding to it. Being offended doesn't help fix anything except one's feelings.
If you think racism is important then you are racist? Awesome point. And you still can’t mention one thing that people are apparently offended by despite them apparently being offended by everything.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote