View Single Post
Old 10-28-2014, 07:36 AM   #206
El Capitano Gatisto
World Class Raconteur

El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalyx triaD View Post
Her making a post like is that is a parody of why feminism has the image issue it has, and it puts her in opposition of people much smarter than her. She's playing big girl games now and her reputation will crumble now that she chose to elevate herself beyond talking down to gamers. In the forum of ideas you can't just say damning things about any group of people without some damn good backup, and her worst trait is her dishonest research.

I'm very happy she said what she said. And your cute thing about burden of proof and hotlinks doesn't change the fact that she went overbaord.
She only has a reputation because "gamers" couldn't handle her quite legitimate criticism about games and the way they portray females. In mainstream terms, culturally, she's a nobody precisely because gaming is largely still portrayed as a niche pursuit indulged by teenage nerds and over-grown man-children in their dark bedrooms. Even whether you agree her criticism is legitimate or not, the response to it effectively supports the fact that gaming as an art form or form of media, whichever way you see it, is far too immature to be seen as "mainstream" at this point. There won't be the media crackdown you expect against Anita Sarkeesian because the only people who care about what she says are you and the other overly-sensitive misogynists she antagonises. The response from her detractors will be the same whatever she says and her career as a talking head exists only in opposition to the bone-headed morons who react the most. In fact, throwing this embarrassing behaviour into sharp focus is a good thing. Her remark on males and male culture being mainly responsible for gun violence in the US is not even remotely controversial.

I don't consider myself a "gamer" but someone who has played games my whole life, just as I have watched films and listened to music my whole life. I don't take criticism of games personally, in other words, by someone who takes the time to at least analyse them.
El Capitano Gatisto is offline   Reply With Quote