View Single Post
Old 06-07-2018, 08:50 PM   #9734
Seanny One Ball
World Class References

Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
3 Billboards Outside EBBING, Missouri - 4/4

What I witnessed in those two hours is the reason why films are made, the reason why children grow up wanting to be actors and the truest form of acting chemistry I may ever have seen. This film has one flaw and yet the flaw is so tiny that it attracts interest rather than scorn. Martin McDonagh has a preoccupation with the treatment of dwarves in society and I predict that someday it may become a regrettable signature. His brother's trademark seems to be Catholicism, sex and chicanery of all kinds which is why his films seem more familiar at first.

I digress.

Frances McDormand was perfect in a role that any actress would bite their right arm off for but that none could have touched as wholly nor infused with as much of themself as Frances did.
Woody Harrelson is walking the line of genius actor at this stage in his career and I think he could actually win the big one someday soon if he gets a lead as wonderful as this supporting role was. Here he plays the sweetest role of his life and he gives everything to the film, taking nothing away with him at the finish. If the film belongs to Frances McDormand then it's in no small part due to the fact that Woody gave her his absolute finest. I really cannot overstate just how excellent the part he plays is.

Sam Rockwell is one of cinemas real heroes, an actor willing to lead, support or even job just to create something beautiful. He plays his position here like a point kicker, popping up at the right time to score points in any number of different moods and situations, each to bring a joy, a fear or a sorrow to your overworked heart by the film's end.

I try not to review plots in doing this because spoilers are a bastard, so I will say that Martin McDonagh has absolutely outdone himself here. This is a work of art.
Seanny One Ball is offline   Reply With Quote